Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Mortmal

Arcane
Just dreadfully boring. I pity Lacrymas' group for having such a DM.
Theres many guys like lacrymas ,when it collapse and everyone leave they blame everything but their dull campaign and shitty homebrewing.

Mortmal

Arcane
So if a player expresses a desire to play a Fighter / Mage then a good DM would facilitate that instead of saying 'no you can't because it's too OP'.

I din't said that. I said that I prefer more specialized characters and settings which encourages more specialization. Of course, if the player wanna plays as a F/M, I would allow that, mainly on 2e where there are trade offs. On 5e, I don't know. Can F/M learn high level magic spells like Stop Time, Wish and etc? I know that comparing magic on 5e with 2e is like comparing a airsoft gun with a cannon but I an curious.
You dont have access to those spells, and there's an eldritch knight subclass, so multiclassing is not relevant there. Yet again , it's a lackluster subclass no one will take as it not filling any roles especially well . A pure battlemaster with crossbow build is far superior, or some bow elf samurai , none of those are available in BG 3 as far i know . Now dont even start on finding a good reason to have an elf samurai...

Yosharian

Arcane
So if a player expresses a desire to play a Fighter / Mage then a good DM would facilitate that instead of saying 'no you can't because it's too OP'.

I din't said that. I said that I prefer more specialized characters and settings which encourages more specialization. Of course, if the player wanna plays as a F/M, I would allow that, mainly on 2e where there are trade offs. On 5e, I don't know. Can F/M learn high level magic spells like Stop Time, Wish and etc? I know that comparing magic on 5e with 2e is like comparing a airsoft gun with a cannon but I an curious.
multiclassing in 5E is nothing like 2E.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
it's a lackluster subclass no one will take as it not filling any roles especially well

Never read much about 5e eldritch knight class. How is he? And what about pact of the blade warlock for 5e and eldritch glaive for 3.5e?

multiclassing in 5E is nothing like 2E.

I know, but my question is. Can a F/M on 5e access high level magic? Cuz on 2e, would take a lot of time, while a pure mage is learning tier 9 spells, your F/M is learning tier 7.

SoupNazi

How is he?
You won't be casting any spells, apart from Shield, Absorb Elements and other defensive spells.
Don't think that's the case?

You can get Burning Hands immediately, which is good if you can get a decent AoE hit, Shadow Blade from character level 7 which adds 1d8 damage per attack, and while your DC probably won't be very large and a lot of enemies will dodge, fireball at level 13 does become available. Then there's the Booming Blade cantrip, which is from Tasha's, but if your group allows it, it outdamages extra attack early, and at level 7 if you get war magic, allows you to always outdamage just the extra attack. I guess you could say that Shadow Blade and Booming blade are enchantments, not offensive spells, but Burning Hands and Fireball definitely are.

Edited for clarity on the levels, I originally wrote spell levels, not character levels.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
By fireball you mean the fireball EK gets on level 13?

Is this serious? Lv 13 to get a spell which a wizard, fiend warlock and sorcerer can get at lv 5?

That is beyond ridiculous.

When someone talks about melee caster, I think on a Eldritch Glaive warlock, becoming invisible, flying, teleporting behind the enemy and impaling him four times in a round dealing 9d6 each eldritch glaive attack(3.5e WLK are amazing).

Didn't think we were talking specifically about early levels. And I think I misworded my previous post. Still, you can get Shadow Blade at 7th :)

Cool, but at lv 13, wizards even on 5e which nerfed spells very hard, get spells like reverse gravity. And note that 5e is not like 2e or pathfinder 1e, with a lot of mid and high level content. Most 5e players will never play at lv 13. 5e is too focused on sword coast and the ruleset due the hp growing far more than the damage, is too boring at higher levels. Not mentioning that creatures which was designed for medium level on previous editions are now designed to low levels. Succubus on 3e was CR 7. On 5e, are CR 4.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
rusty_shackleford is right.

90% of the OP claims ignore opportunity cost. If you want to gish play the hybrid classes that are there for that instead of making yourself a second rate fighter and a second rate caster without enough action economy to fully benefit from the combination. There are other ways to get effects similar to those sweet, sweet buffs. Part of DM role is protecting players from themselves.

SoupNazi

Is this serious? Lv 13 to get a spell which a wizard, fiend warlock and sorcerer can get at lv 5?

When someone talks about melee caster, I think on a Eldritch Glaive warlock, becoming invisible, flying, teleporting behind the enemy and impaling him four times in a round dealing 9d6 each eldritch glaive attack(3.5e WLK are amazing).
I mean, to me it makes sense that someone who studies magic for years and dedicated their whole life to it is stronger than someone who dedicated most of their life to training martial combat and honing their body and then decided to pick up a bit of magical flair at a point where they're already a very capable fighter.

Didn't think we were talking specifically about early levels. And I think I misworded my previous post. Still, you can get Shadow Blade at 7th :)

Cool, but at lv 13, wizards even on 5e which nerfed spells very hard, get spells like reverse gravity. And note that 5e is not like 2e or pathfinder 1e, with a lot of mid and high level content. Most 5e players will never play at lv 13. 5e is too focused on sword coast and the ruleset due the hp growing far more than the damage, is too boring at higher levels. Not mentioning that creatures which was designed for medium level on previous editions are now designed to low levels. Succubus on 3e was CR 7. On 5e, are CR 4.

From what I've seen (in my limited experience - I only started playing actual D&D recently, and with Codexers, so YMMV as I'm getting a lot of information from just reading about other people's experiences), in general martials suffer a lot from the "less amazing than casters" reputation from a certain level, the whole "nothing personnel, kid" shtick turns on really late (and is largely dependent on the player/DM adding that flavor by describing it well). Subclasses/archetypes or not. To me, they're mostly for flavor and a specific touch for a character. But again - so far, it makes sense to me as it is.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Well, there actually ARE other types of gishes. There's Bladesinger Wizard - while EK is a fighter who can cast a little, Bladesinger is a wizard who can fight. The problem is, while he gets insane bonuses to his defence and an extra attack, he doesn't really get any mechanical incentives to get into the enemy's face and swing his sword. The optimal way to play Bladesinger is to play him as the normal wizard, except far more tanky. Hexblade suffers from a similar problem, no incentive for actually swinging his sword.
Then there's Bard - two subclasses, Valor Bard and Sword Bard. I can say utterly nothing about them, I've never heard of anyone playing either and reporting on the results. Lore Bard too strong.

Mortmal

Arcane

The fireball is still 8d6 damage for eveyone unless you use a higher level slot , same thing for the wizard, its not like previous edition when it automatically gain more damage with levels . Most likely you wont use that but rather cast blink or haste . Larianshill summed up very well , 3 spells you are going to cast to improve your close combat damage. Their strengh is doing elemental damage in melee , could be useful if some monsters are vulnerable to it. Else a battlemaster is better .As there's no multiclassing in BG3, they may be viable.

Mortmal

Arcane
Also BG3 has unlimited rest, so consider the knight perma buffed with arcane armor, mirror image, haste, and stoneskin in the end, might be pretty powerful .

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
ts not like previous edition when it automatically gain more damage with levels(...)A

This is IMO the greatest problem that I have with 5e. When you are lv 5, 8d6 damage is great. But when you are lv 15, is nothing. On 2e, each new lv up was +d6 damage on most spells, newer and stronger spells and +d4 hp until lv 9. After lv9, is just +1 hp. On 5e, going from circle 3 to circle 6 as an evoker, your best damaging spell grows almost nothing. Fireball? 8d6. Freezing Sphere? 10d6. That is 2d6 damage gain and the same caster from lv 5 to 11 got +6d6 + 6 * con mod hit points.

And evocation is the LEAST nerfed spell school. Conjuration, Necromancy, Illusion, Alteration and so on got extremely more nerfed.

Radech

Augur
it's the dm's responsibility to tell them to play an eldritch knight or one of the other dozens of subclasses that enable this playstyle
multiclassing is dumb

I like multi classing in 5e so far, granted I've only had one player do a fighter/rogue and at 2/2 it say it's in a good place compared to 4s. He started rogue, and swapped back and forth, combat style and medium proficiency nicely helped the worse sneak attack and his bonus action was too overloaded to be a balance issue imo - naturally it didn't help that he also chose to dualwield.
but fighter/rog is usually the only multiclass i tend to use, since it's just a beefier skillmonkey.

Well, there actually ARE other types of gishes. There's Bladesinger Wizard - while EK is a fighter who can cast a little, Bladesinger is a wizard who can fight. The problem is, while he gets insane bonuses to his defence and an extra attack, he doesn't really get any mechanical incentives to get into the enemy's face and swing his sword. The optimal way to play Bladesinger is to play him as the normal wizard, except far more tanky. Hexblade suffers from a similar problem, no incentive for actually swinging his sword.
Then there's Bard - two subclasses, Valor Bard and Sword Bard. I can say utterly nothing about them, I've never heard of anyone playing either and reporting on the results. Lore Bard too strong.
Valor bard gets an attack as a bonus action after casting a spell and players can add bardic inspiration to ac or damage, which seem pretty huge.

Sleep gives a guaranteed crit in bg3 on the 'waking' hit right? or did I just get lucky with advantage. I'd like to test out a valor bard with the new added effects Larian have implemented, like shocking touch preventing reactions - you could cast, bash and run away in one turn without incurring AoO from your target. Now 5e just needs more fun touch spells - but it might be worth 'pilfering' inflict wounds for some sick damage.

Eldritch Knight 5e Guide | Arcane Eye , thats a good guide for it. Most of it still apply in BG3.

I can't do my dwarf eldritch knight hammerdin in baldurs gate, because they don't get weapon bond. I need that bonus action boomerang.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom