Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Larianshill

Arbiter
But then she is going to talk like a barbarian, act like a barbarian, bark in fights like a barbarian, and then.... she is a paladin, actually?
I'm willing to suspend my disbelief. Also, Larian does seem to be recording some lines - every character has datamined lines about Shar and Selune, expressing diametrically opposite opinions about them. This, I presume, is in case you eventually decide multiclass Wyll into the cleric of Shar, so the game will provide ludonarrative resonance.

Works fine on my meme GTX 970.
I can play BG3 on low settings, and it doesn't always choke on medium settings. But it certainly does not work "fine" on 950. God, I need upgrades.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
But then she is going to talk like a barbarian, act like a barbarian, bark in fights like a barbarian, and then.... she is a paladin, actually?
I'm willing to suspend my disbelief. Also, Larian does seem to be recording some lines - every character has datamined lines about Shar and Selune, expressing diametrically opposite opinions about them. This, I presume, is in case you eventually decide multiclass Wyll into the cleric of Shar, so the game will provide ludonarrative resonance.

That'd be some real ludokino if they did it. Seems like way too big a scale though. Seeing how many unfinished threads were hanging off DOS2, I can't see them delivering everything promised. Just enough for it to be a great game, but not enough for Swen's promises to be fulfilled.

Codex Year of the Donut
Let's talk about something that is frequently discussed, but I've never seen closure brought to it.
That's really good news. Suppose I like the character of Karlach, but she ends up a barbarian, which I don't like. The full game will give me the opportunity to change her into paladin, or wizard. That's really good news, because I don't think we'll be getting a lot of companions. Certainly not enough to cover every class.

But then she is going to talk like a barbarian, act like a barbarian, bark in fights like a barbarian, and then.... she is a paladin, actually? Not sure about this.
Obviously small tweaks to min-max or make the character you like fit in your composition - great. But drastically altering their build seems weird. Like if in Divinity OS2 you made Ifan Ben-Mezd your warrior-tank, but then his quests and dialogues act like he is a crossbow assassins type still.
Ifan wasn't an assassin, he was just doing an assassination job. He was a trained soldier, it's one of his tags.
So there's nothing wrong with him being a warrior.

Codex Year of the Donut

That'd be some real ludokino if they did it. Seems like way too big a scale though. Seeing how many unfinished threads were hanging off DOS2, I can't see them delivering everything promised. Just enough for it to be a great game, but not enough for Swen's promises to be fulfilled.
Did you play the definitive edition by chance? It added a lot of content, especially in Arx which was heavily redone.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
But then she is going to talk like a barbarian, act like a barbarian, bark in fights like a barbarian, and then.... she is a paladin, actually? Not sure about this.

The game already demands a lot of suspension of disbelief. Like lv 4 """"""arch""""" druids. Larian has no clue about what arch means and titles on previous editions. On 1e, lv 18 magic users are called archmages. And druids required lv 13 to become archdruids. And this is not only on D&D. On Might & Magic 6/7, A Druid needs to do promotion quests to become a Greater/Arch druid.

This is one more thing where Solasta is better than BG3. The game has personality traits assigned to each character and they act in dialog depending on their traits.

Last edited:

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Let's talk about something that is frequently discussed, but I've never seen closure brought to it.
That's really good news. Suppose I like the character of Karlach, but she ends up a barbarian, which I don't like. The full game will give me the opportunity to change her into paladin, or wizard. That's really good news, because I don't think we'll be getting a lot of companions. Certainly not enough to cover every class.

Obviously small tweaks to min-max or make the character you like fit in your composition - great. But drastically altering their build seems weird. Like if in Divinity OS2 you made Ifan Ben-Mezd your warrior-tank, but then his quests and dialogues act like he is a crossbow assassins type still.
Ifan wasn't an assassin, he was just doing an assassination job. He was a trained soldier, it's one of his tags.
So there's nothing wrong with him being a warrior.

So I thought when I decided to give him a shield. But then his quests give him a crossbow, and have him meeting some weapon smugglers, and later other disreputable types, and talk about finding the right spot to loose the arrow from, and so on. It does feel like the build doesn't fit him. And, I didn't do that, but you can also make the same thing with Sebille. She very much has lines and quests that are meant for a certain build, and if you build her differently, it breaks immersion and seems dumb.
I imagine this will be even more obvious in a Dungeons&Dragons setting, with hard classes that conform to stereotypes. At least in DOS2 you can explain everyone having a healing spell or whatever, because everyone indeed can have it. Not in D&D.

Did you play the definitive edition by chance? It added a lot of content, especially in Arx which was heavily redone.

I played both. Still a lot of unfinished things. Some boss fights, like the witch on fire or the wolf headed monster, that obviously had a quest associated but it wasn't added. Some quests that never complete. A few altars that say "just need to find the other altars", but there are no other altars, or they aren't connected with scripts. The promise of your boat being able to travel to wherever, but the game giving no reason or opportunity to ever travel back, or sideways, and instead being a Diablo 2 like linear progression between zones. the game having a "gear set" mechanic, but only 1 or 2 implemented, and not worth using, crafting being a side thing because of how often great drops, so its left basic, and so on. And the final words of the game being your mlady captain telling you that you owe her now, and you are on to new adventures, and set sail!! And then no DLC, no expansion, cancelled spin off game. Clearly they didn't finish their plan for DOS2, because they got the Baldur's Gate license and wanted to rush head first into that instead.

The game already demands a lot of suspension of disbelief. Like lv 4 """"""arch""""" druids. Larian has no clue about what arch means and titles on previous editions. On 1e, lv 18 magic users are called archmages. And druids required lv 13 to become archdruids. And this is not only on D&D. On Might & Magic 6/7, A Druid needs to do promotion quests to become a Greater/Arch druid.

This is one more thing where Solasta is better than BG3. The game has personality traits assigned to each character and they act in dialog depending on their traits.

This is a nitpick, clearly "arch-druid" here means the senior druid of the group. And they can't be level 20, because you might side with the goblins and have to fight them.
But in general, its true that Solasta seems a bit more faithful to the text. BG3 still feels D&D to me. One follows the word of the law, the other breaks the word, but still follows the spirit of the law, if you know what I mean. Might not be enough for Codex paladins, but should satisfy most everyone else.

Last edited:

Larianshill

Arbiter
This is not 1e, grandpa, and this is not Might and Magic either. Time to go back to the old folks home.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
This is not 1e, grandpa, and this is not Might and Magic either. Time to go back to the old folks home.

Arch-folks home*

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Sadly you are right. This is a game based on a edition where CR 2 creatures can soak cannon balls with even more HP inflation... But I an 29 yo. probably the youngest grognard here..

This is a nitpick, clearly "arch-druid" here means the senior druid of the group. And they can't be level 20, because you might side with the goblins and have to fight them.
But in general, its true that Solasta seems a bit more faithful to the text.

Low level D&D = fine
Low level D&D in a game which starts with a army of dragons fighting a mindflayer spelljammer ship, then you meet a archdruid in the few hours = NOT OK.

Larian could call it "lead druid" or something like that. Arch Druids must be at least on upper mid levels.

Codex Year of the Donut
I played both. Still a lot of unfinished things. Some boss fights, like the witch on fire or the wolf headed monster, that obviously had a quest associated but it wasn't added. Some quests that never complete. A few altars that say "just need to find the other altars", but there are no other altars, or they aren't connected with scripts.
The witch is part of another quest and is an alternate way of solving it.
The wolf monster guards an altar, which...
The altars are part of a semi-hidden quest.

Codex Year of the Donut
Low level D&D in a game which starts with a army of dragons fighting a mindflayer spelljammer ship, then you meet a archdruid in the few hours = NOT OK.

Larian could call it "lead druid" or something like that. Arch Druids must be at least on upper mid levels.
You'd know why she's a low level arch-druid if you'd actually play the game though.

I actually fucking hate the idea. After cheering it in terms of "immediate convenience" at first I ended up disliking it in DOS 2 as well. Then again DOS 2 had like five characters in total.
The class should be a strong part of the identity of a character/companion... And the game should offer a selection vast enough to allow some degree of flexibility with the party composition.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You'd know why she's a low level arch-druid if you'd actually play the game though.

I played the game, but will only re download when Larian increases the LV cap. I don't wanna to play a Dungeons & Kobolds game with HP bloat. Solasta already had too much hp bloat for my taste. On BG3, I almost sleep during some encounters. Oblivion style hp bloat in some parts. IMO, casters should be d4 hit dice. And every non fighter should get at best +1 con mod. After lv 9, they should get like +1/+2/+3 hp per level depending on the class. 2e did hp right.

We had this exact discussion about 60 pages ago. Here it is.

And Lacrymas is right.

Because the logic is the other way around. You are level 15-16 because you have achieved archdruidom, not the other way around.

Larian could call it anything, but decided to call it "arch druid" because they have no clue about what archdruids, archpriests and archmages are supposed to be.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I played both. Still a lot of unfinished things. Some boss fights, like the witch on fire or the wolf headed monster, that obviously had a quest associated but it wasn't added. Some quests that never complete. A few altars that say "just need to find the other altars", but there are no other altars, or they aren't connected with scripts.

I imagine the quest has to do with the two ladies (or cows) near the witch's hut. Didn't trigger anything for me though.
Neither did the altars. I did find them all (including looking up online to make sure these are the exact ones) and they dindu nuffin. Me and my buddy even spend like 30 minutes trying to control/dodge/sneak around the wolf head monster so we can try to act on the altar before the fight, nothing.
Either it was broken for me specifically (including reloading many times), or it was broken in the version when I specifically played it, or... its broken and it don't work.

drop a spoiler as to what its for

Larianshill

Arbiter
Larian could call it anything, but decided to call it "arch druid" because they have no clue about what archdruids, archpriests and archmages are supposed to be.
An archdruid is a head druid. An archpriest is a head priest. An archmage is a head mage. If we're invoking games other than DnD, in Morrowind the archmage of the Mage's Guild is a notoriously inept fool, who got his position through politics, and not through personal skill or knowledge.

But in the first edition...
This is not the first edition.

Codex Year of the Donut

I imagine the quest has to do with the two ladies (or cows) near the witch's hut. Didn't trigger anything for me though.
Neither did the altars. I did find them all (including looking up online to make sure these are the exact ones) and they dindu nuffin. Me and my buddy even spend like 30 minutes trying to control/dodge/sneak around the wolf head monster so we can try to act on the altar before the fight, nothing.
Either it was broken for me specifically (including reloading many times), or it was broken in the version when I specifically played it, or... its broken and it don't work.

drop a spoiler as to what its for
the altars have to do with the scarecrow, and yes the burning witch drops a key for the witch's hut, implying it's her hut.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
An archdruid is a head druid. An archpriest is a head priest. An archmage is a head mage. If we're invoking games other than DnD, in Morrowind the archmage of the Mage's Guild is a notoriously inept fool, who got his position through politics, and not through personal skill or knowledge.

While it's true an archdruid is "simply" the head druid of a grove, getting to be a head druid of a grove is not easy and requires specific conditions that aren't appropriate for low level characters. It also requires recognition from other high-ranking druids. Just calling your band of misfits a grove and appointing yourself as the leader of the group doesn't cut it. It's like a bunch of 3rd year med students gathering in their parents' basement and start calling themselves doctors with a clinic.

Larianshill

Arbiter
If the whole game is like the EA, and if they fix some thigns wrong with the game, it will be the best RPG in a while when it releases.

Codex Year of the Donut

While it's true an archdruid is "simply" the head druid of a grove, getting to be a head druid of a grove is not easy and requires specific conditions that aren't appropriate for low level characters. It also requires recognition from other high-ranking druids. Just calling your band of misfits a grove and appointing yourself as the leader of the group doesn't cut it. It's like a bunch of 3rd year med students gathering in their parents' basement and start calling themselves doctors with a clinic.
the archdruid is a dunce who is an archdruid solely because the one that was there went missing

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Sorry i'm not about upgrading pc or wizard pew-pew.

Since you are the greatest mage hater, you will probably love BG3. They did everything that they could to screw up with mages. The few low level spells like charm and sleep are worthless and the offensive spells are trash due HP bloat. A Eldritch Blast can't even rolling for maximum damage, kill a mere goblin. The game will be mostly on very low levels. I believe that they said in a stream that after lv 5, you will level up extremely slow. The level cap? Was 10 but now nobody knows. Some say 8/9, some 11/12/13, I an not sure.

I fell more worthless in this game as a caster than on nwn2 without mods to fix the game like spell fixes and warlock reworked. You will probably love BG3. I an not kidding. I recommend BG3 to every mage hater, since BG3 has the worst spellcasting experience ever that I had in a TT adaptation.

it will be the best RPG in a while when it releases.

Nope. Solasta will gonna be the best low to mid level game and PF:WoTR will gonna be the best mythic game.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

the archdruid is a dunce who is an archdruid solely because the one that was there went missing

This just kicks the autism ball down the road, because then he can just complain that the real arch druid is also not level 20. Of course, he can't be, since there's a fight that includes him and the ~ level 4 player party, but muh 1e definitions! Muh lore!

Codex Year of the Donut

This just kicks the autism ball down the road, because then he can just complain that the real arch druid is also not level 20. Of course, he can't be, since there's a fight that includes him and the ~ level 4 player party, but muh 1e definitions! Muh lore!
baldur's gate has a level 10 archdruid(Amarande) :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom