Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Reinhardt

Arcane
Yep. I will betray and provoke the anger of Orcus he will not destroy every Lich philactery in rage, Orcus is a very nice guy, he will not destroy all phylacteries in rage or kill the messenger. He is a very nice guy and I an pretty sure that he will promote me, like a Devil would do. He is a devil, not a demon right? And after that he will give freedom to me, not more work, right?
Yep. Because a legendary figure in one place needs to be a legendary figure in other place. IRL someone can't be considered tall among Pygmy people and a manlet among Danish people. In fantasy, if Lord Nasher is a powerful hero in Neverwinter, he should be a powerful hero in the deepest layer of the Abyss.
Nigger, just stop. SUTOPPU! SUTOPPU PURIZU!

Vatnik Wumao
Yep. I will betray and provoke the anger of Orcus he will not destroy every Lich philactery in rage, Orcus is a very nice guy, he will not destroy all phylacteries in rage or kill the messenger. He is a very nice guy and I an pretty sure that he will promote me, like a Devil would do. He is a devil, not a demon right? And after that he will give freedom to me, not more work, right?
Yep. Because a legendary figure in one place needs to be a legendary figure in other place. IRL someone can't be considered tall among Pygmy people and a manlet among Danish people. In fantasy, if Lord Nasher is a powerful hero in Neverwinter, he should be a powerful hero in the deepest layer of the Abyss.
Nigger, just stop. SUTOPPU! SUTOPPU PURIZU!
Reinhardt baka. Let the man argue his point.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Overlord and Sword Arts Online are some of the most famous jap creations with this exact premise.

Overlord is a epic level character in a very low level world, where the most powerful human magic caster, Fluders, can cast 6th tier magic. The appeal of the anime, is not Ainz, but is the relations and politics involving the world. SAO, is a children with a sword solving every single problem in the world, including being shots from a .50 BMG PGM Hécate anti materiel rifle.

My favorite Isekai is Drifters. Instead of a teenager going ot the other world, historical characters like Nobunaga Oda are "isekaied". A WW2 pilot is also isekaied and people confuse his plane with a bird God. The main villain has healing powers and use it in the most nasty way possible.

---------------------------

Moderation. Please. Move this awnsers about Throne of the Bloodstone into a thread called "Throne of the bloodstone, the highest level D&D adventure ever" -> In gazebo..

I never said that Throne of Bloodstone is a masterpiece. Only that is fun and extremely hard. I just disagree with some critiques against it. Some parts of the plot could be better written? Sure.

'allow me to cite a show that parodies how protagonists in isekai anime are just given god powers'

And ... That is why KonoSuba is amazing. Most hilarious anime ever. Kasuma is not OP, he is not good, he is just TROLL and Chaotic Neutral.

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
Stages of a discussion with sorcerer victor by the esteemed gentleman del of terius:

• victor claims common trope isn't common at all
  • as proof of his assertions, victor cites show which parodies how common trope is super common
  • when brought attention to this fact, victor claims that since the show parodies the common trope, it proves how common trope isn't common at all

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
But honestly, I give up. Every adventure should be about kobold slaying in sword coast, PC's should only be able to play as fighter and pick manlet races. We should rename Dungeons & Dragons to Manlets & Kobolds!!!
Bro I recall you mention not having read Robert E Howard's Conan stories. I would urge you to rectify that posthaste. There are interesting and intense enough situations brought about by people being people that we need not look to gods and demons to sate our need for adventure.

Nice theory, wrong species.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You mean like every other isekai protagonist.

Nope. Just 99% of then. You should check Drifters.

victor claims that since the show parodies the common trope, it proves how common trope isn't common at all

Say that 99,999(...)% of Isekais sucks is OK. say that all of then are SAO clones is wrong. And again, Check Drifters.

And you name one anime where the main vilalin has healing powers and use it to capture an enemy and force him to give meat to his army in the most painful way possible? Where Oda Nobunaga wanna to make gunpowder and firearms to overtrow a kingdom?

Mortmal

Arcane
Is not truth that 5e shapeshifter druids are virtually unkillable?
It depends on what you mean by shapeshifter druids. Druids of the Moon? Yes. The problem is the lack of cooldown on shapeshift. They are ridiculously overpowered, so you need a sadistic DM to challenge a party with such a Druid, but the other members of the party will feel worthless because the mobs need to do a looooot of damage to burn through the extra HP of the forms, so the party members either die or feel powerless due to inflated mob hp.

Is it not truth that the game must be optimized for fun, and not for faithfulness to teh holy texts?
I don't want a PC version of tabletop pen&paper games, I want a fun PC game.
Fun is not disconnected from narrative pacing and character progression. The holy texts suggest a good tension curve that will help you as a DM to create a fulfilling story for your party.
As a sadistic DM another way to challenge those characters are status effect, stun paralyze and so on, other options is many medium fights to drain the ressources you dont have to punish the other members, target him the druid will eventually run out of spells and forms . Moon circle druid in 5E is a mistake , now mix moon druid and totem barbarian andyou get unkillable tank as well. Odd thing its included in BG3 while they avoided similar landmines when it comes to balance the game.

Takamori

Learned
I know the discussion is a bit stale, but deep diving into a pile of shit with Isekai talk, please have some self respect.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But honestly, I give up. Every adventure should be about kobold slaying in sword coast, PC's should only be able to play as fighter and pick manlet races. We should rename Dungeons & Dragons to Manlets & Kobolds!!!
Bro I recall you mention not having read Robert E Howard's Conan stories. I would urge you to rectify that posthaste. There are interesting and intense enough situations brought about by people being people that we need not look to gods and demons to sate our need for adventure.

How do you figure?

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

How do you figure?

In math. This is simple anthropology.

Reinhardt

Arcane
And you name one anime where the main vilalin has healing powers
Many unique, very healing!
Nigga, we are talking about animu. Last season - animu about some fag who can literally break world rules by screaming "HEAL" and he uses it to rape bad bitches who wronged him before his magic got to over 9000. This season - animu about isekai gurl who has magic power over 9000 and every pretty boy in love with her and bitch who was summoned alongside with her is useless.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
victor what do you think about konosuba game? are wizards strong enough? or not enough explosion?

Never played. But Megumin is a amazing parody of a blaster caster.

As for the power of magic, depends on the setting.

You don't see me complaining that half giant are too OP on Dark Sun games. Why? Because they are freaking living siege weapons where a single half giant slave worth more than thousands of regular slaves. Of course a high level half giant gladiator with a giantic club should be able to destroy drakes with no problem.

• I an fine with low magic settings like Conan.
  • I an fine with dangerous magic settings like LotFP
  • I an fine with high magical settings like Glantri(Mystara) and Netherese(FR)
  • I an NOT fine with magic that works differently in game and in lore. If a Strahd clone killed a army of rebels with cloudkill in a novel, in game, a cloudkill spell should do the same.

Last season - animu about some fag who can literally break world rules by screaming "HEAL" and he uses it to rape bad bitches who wronged him before his magic got to over 9000. This season - animu about isekai gurl who has magic power over 9000 and every pretty boy in love with her and bitch who was summoned alongside with her is useless.

Redo of a Healer is not a isekai. It is a fantasy anime, but not a isekai. Is IMO a bellow average show but thanks to the SJW butthurt, become a very good anime. Keyaru powers and limitations are poorly introduced and described and that is IMO the greatest problem of the setting. The pacing too. Is not shown how his powers works and how he developed corruption heal. The Drifters villain, can use heal to make cancerous cells and other nasty things. Is much better explained in Drifters.

But isekai in itself can be interesting even in magical settings. Overlord would be far more interesting if Ainz was send into a Dark Sun style setting. And spoiler : Ainz is not more powerful than the Sorcerers Kings of Athas. Borys probably can kill him with full gear and a couple of floor guardians. Borys is a 30th level Defiler caster and 30th level Psionist. Ainz would be a lv 30 Caster in D&D power level.

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
But isekai in itself can be interesting even in magical settings. Overlord would be far more interesting if Ainz was send into a Dark Sun style setting. And spoiler : Ainz is not more powerful than the Sorcerer Kings of Athas. Borys probably can kill him with full gear and a couple of floor guardians. Borys is a 30th level Defiler caster and 30th level Psionist. Ainz would be a lv 30 Caster in D&D power level.
Lol, nigga. It's isekai protagonist, He would make borys-whatever-his-name suck his bone dick by just glancing at him. That's the point of isekai, just like with your cities of 490000 liches.
Your "succubus harem and pew-pew spells" are something street thug with 3 INT would dream about, not someone with godly stats.
That's why adventures works only on low level - people playing rpg games are too stupid for proper high level shit. Killing kobolds is the best and only thing they can do.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom