Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Reinhardt

Arcane
Btw is gorasul gud? Wanted to buy disks many years ago but couldn't find them.

Sharpedge

Prophet

Why they don't make play without HP bloat optional?
Ah yes, this mythical "HP Bloat." I don't want to repeat myself about this topic, so I will quote the posts I made about this on the official forums. The discussion begins here and ends here. The tl;dr is, most creatures within the game have the stats specified within the rule book and those that do not, deviate for a good (narrative driven) reason. Furthermore, enemies do not "feel bloated" and for anyone who is not a complete idiot, die in at most 1 or 2 hits.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Mainstream normies get to destroy TB-RNG... what is next on the chopping block?

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
We introduced loaded dice in Patch 4 to try to smooth out the extremes of the dice-rolling bell curve. Even with this change, we noticed in your feedback that the RNG wasn't feeling fun for you. We've seen the dice described as being harsh, cursed, rigged and someone said the RNG was downright evil. We want you to have the best experience possible when playing the game and so the changes in today’s hotfix are here to help with your hit chance, if you’re playing with loaded dice.

Why are normalfags so bad at statistics?
When XCOM says 99% to hit, and you miss, it doesn't mean the game is bugged. It means a 1% event occurred. Which will happen 1% of the time. Which, in a combat heavy game where you shoot all the time, isn't that rare.

Efe

Erudite
problem with x-com (originals) is that %99 is not a 99 on a 100-sided dice

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
, most creatures within the game have the stats specified within the rule book

Can you mention which page the MM, there is over 30 hp low level goblins and spiders with over 100 hp? Because this values is more close to 4e than 5e.

Please don't support this kind of stuff. At the very least, pirate

I payed in Argentinian currency. And no, I din't violated the steam TOS. I visited there, and put credits using their currency while I was there.

yuD1Ua6.png

https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=USD&to=ARS&view=10Y

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
We introduced loaded dice in Patch 4 to try to smooth out the extremes of the dice-rolling bell curve. Even with this change, we noticed in your feedback that the RNG wasn't feeling fun for you. We've seen the dice described as being harsh, cursed, rigged and someone said the RNG was downright evil. We want you to have the best experience possible when playing the game and so the changes in today’s hotfix are here to help with your hit chance, if you’re playing with loaded dice.

When XCOM says 99% to hit, and you miss, it doesn't mean the game is bugged. It means a 1% event occurred. Which will happen 1% of the time. Which, in a combat heavy game where you shoot all the time, isn't that rare.

Same reason they’re bad at everything else: these iPalantirs glued to their hands. Some of us got a head start before they were invented.

Delterius

Arcane
lukaszek you won, are you happy now?
its not about winning but about others losing

what happened, bg3 is bundled with gorasul?
it is now a DETERMINATOR's game
skimmed through announcement posted a bit back. So they had coded entropy based approach and now are scrapping it? Thats decline! One of the things that I like about poe most.
monkey's paw: it is now Determined, as it should be

You say that until you miss 3 of those shots one after the other right in the middle of a critical moment, which right after your whole squad gets killed and then you start to think about life and the choices that lead you to this point and you realize that it wasn't the first time this happened, the first time that RNGesus showed the middle finger to you, and it won't be the last.

Fuck RNGs! It can work on TTRPGs, if you've got a good DM it actually improves the experience by creating unlikely funny moments, now on CRPGs it is generally just a nuissance.

CodexTotalWar

Learned

Can you mention which page the MM, there is over 30 hp low level goblins and spiders with over 100 hp? Because this values is more close to 4e than 5e.

Is it really that bad though? There are a lot of issues with this game, but HP bloat is probably the last thing I would worry about.

Goblin Bosses in the MM (Pg. 166)
rpTVugi.png
Goblin Bosses in BG3
W8ME6RH.png
So just a few hp over the average 6d6 HP (22, 25 vs the 21 average). But it's consistent enough if you factor in the fact that BG3 always rounds up HP on hit-dice averages.

That's why a level 4 Lae'zel with 14 CON has (10+2) + 3*(6+2) = 36 hp (rounding the d10 to 6 instead of 5.5)
K565u0c.png
I actually like that instead of just copying and pasting "Goblin Boss" directly from the MM, Larian is going in there and giving them individual names and minor stat variations. Makes it feel a bit more handcrafted and more immersive - just like you won't want every human fighter to have the same stats.

Re: Spiders

The Phase Spiders in BG3 actually have less hp than their MM counterpart.
796dJyD.png
The Matriarch is a special boss encounter at level 4 and have no equivalent from the MM.

Its 138 hp is beefy, but not completely game-breaking when you consider that there is a CR 4 creature in the MM that also have 100 hp+ stats.

I.e. the Weretiger with 120 hp. Only 1100 xp = medium difficulty for a party of 4 level 4s, so it isn't even a boss encounter.
laLmhEF.png

Poseidon00

Arcane
RNG *is* a huge problem in 5E, but outright removing it isn't the solution.

It's not a problem, it is the entire design philosophy of 5e. It's why you can't ever overcome the D20 in skill checks. It's why attack bonuses are even across all characters with only a few points difference. The entire thing is based around the RNG of the D20. It's why 5e is the worst rule system to date.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
More proof that whatever larian is putting out is luring in all the decliners. RNG is instrumental to the way dnd is designed. At some point you have to expect your players to actually engage with the game mechanics. This is important because we've seen historically that decisions like this spread and then just get worse and worse. You should always call out decline

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
IIRC, BG2 was pretty guilty of the HP inflation too though.
The BG series up until now, kept you pretty much 1 step ahead (other than lvl 1, obviously) because it was a real time game, and it had to give you that certain edge to deal with combat that way. The HP inflation was to give you a sense of challenge regardless.

BG 3 is turn based, which makes this choice slightly awkward, but not unusual.

I, for one, am okay with slightly inflated HP numbers if it's used right.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Firkraag had 184 hp. In PnP Great Wyrm Red Dragons have 23 HD (Base 15+8, which is 23d8 = 104 avg hp)

Firkraag is not a "common" dragon, he is a named legendary dragon. He has a char level of 23. As for Balor, the stats on the wiki located on Suldanessellar attacks with 90% MR and are also a stronger version of a balor in every other aspect.

Is bloating stats on BG2 a problem? Yes. But much smaller problem because :
  • RtWP making it less noticeable.
  • Bloated enemies has also bloated other stats like MR and etc meaning that they are "uber" versions of the base monster.
  • Monsters has way less HP on 2e, iron golem : 80 hp(2e) vs 210 hp(5e)
  • Animations on BG1/2 are faster.
  • The level cap on BG2 is much higher and you can dish far more damage in any class. Backstabing can still OHK most enemies.
  • You have spells which ignore enemy hp. Disintegrate, Finger of Death and so on.
  • AC, THAC0, MR, defensive spells, etc are far more important in survivability on 2e than on 5e.
Lastly, seeing a Balor soaking few more hits is completely different than hitting a low level goblin with agonizing eldritch blast or maybe a greataxe hit and he walks as if it is nothing... A Greataxe wielded by a 18 STR Barbarian should cut a low level Goblin in half.

Harthwain

Magister
Same reason they’re bad at everything else: these iPalantirs glued to their hands. Some of us got a head start before they were invented.
No need to blame it on technology. The answer is much simplier than that - people just don't understand how probability work.

You say that until you miss 3 of those shots one after the other right in the middle of a critical moment, which right after your whole squad gets killed and then you start to think about life and the choices that lead you to this point and you realize that it wasn't the first time this happened, the first time that RNGesus showed the middle finger to you, and it won't be the last.

Fuck RNGs! It can work on TTRPGs, if you've got a good DM it actually improves the experience by creating unlikely funny moments, now on CRPGs it is generally just a nuissance.
That's because a lot of games don't have the game designed with the RNG in mind. Just putting some (pseudo) random number generator won't cut it. The player needs tools to be able to influence the game AND you have to shape the RNG itself to make it do what you require of it (Lacrymas already gave an example of rolling 2d10 instead of 1d20).

Sharpedge

Prophet

Read. The. Posts. I linked them. Most enemies have their MM stats does not = all enemies have their dnd stats and as I said, the ones which deviate have good reason. There are some Goblins with 15 AC and 2 hp, which is less tanky than their MM counterpart. There are others which are more tanky. The AC stat of the Goblins is determined by what gear they wear, in the MM it specifies they are wearing a certain set of equipment. In BG 3, not all goblins are wearing that equipment. Surprisingly, in a more "realistic" scenario, not all goblins are identical. For someone who harps on and on about how all mages should be world ending terrors, you sure do contradict yourself when it comes to the verisimilitude of monsters within the world.
Firkraag is not a "common" dragon, he is a named legendary dragon.

These are not "common" goblins, they are absolute blessed goblins. Nor is it a "common" phase spider, it was allegedly a drow priestess who was turned into one and its identified as a matriarch.
Is bloating stats on BG2 a problem? Yes. But much smaller problem because
Monsters die in 1-2 hits in BG 3. 1-2 hits. Combat is over very quickly. If that is "bloated" to you then I don't know what isn't, because clearly you just want a passive aura that kills enemies before you arrive.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom