Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Studios - now available on Early Access

Discussion in 'Larian Studios' started by Infinitron, Oct 6, 2020.

1. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    I feel like my defense of Avellone's influence on the genre is vindicated by this review: https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198038290352/recommended/1086940/

• Brofist x 8
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Interesting x 2
    • When words are not enough x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Bah Cipher

Bah
    While I agree with your general assessment, JRPGs had also been doing this prior to PS:T, and I think their influence can't be entirely discounted.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Darkwind Savant Patron

Darkwind
    Strap Yourselves In
    God is that true? That isn't even some m'lady type hipster RPG that is more like 7th grade 'baby's first DM session'. Let me take all the most uber monsters from the Monster Manual and make them party members. Do they also give you the Illithid Nautilus Spelljammer ship to fly around in too just to seal the deal? It is a sophomoric level of amateurness. PS:T did this yes but the entire Planescape setting is fairly absurd/mental so it all fit there. Shoehorning the most esoteric unusual creatures into an adventuring party seems like a bad take, IMHO.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    PS:T is a JRPG.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    • Funny x 6
    • Prestigious x 3
    • Makes you think... x 2
    • nice x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • incline x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Thac0 Time Mage Patron

Thac0
    Now now let's hold our horses here.

Mages and clerics of darkness are not unusual party members at all. And I don't think the bomb stuff is outragous enough to make the mage count as one either.
    Before having played their backstory fully I would go on a limb and say that Shadowheart and Mister Bombastic are not any more unusual then the average BG1+BG2 companion.

A gith is definitly out there, but somewhat rectified by the games Illithid story. Gith have always been the prime enemy of the illithid, together with always having been at war with their mirror species.

That makes the warlock and the vampire the only truly out there companions. I havn't spend any time with the warlock and I can't rectify the Vampire. He is a pretty ridiculous concept for an adventuring hero, especially when so few companions are 100% normal.

Also those are the evil and neutral companions. Those always had more fucky backstories than the goody two shoes. The review seems like another case of someone being butthurt that the good companions are still missing.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Pope Amole II Prestigious Gentleman Nerd Commando Game Studios Developer

Pope Amole II
    No, it's a Visual Novel.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    As long as you guys don't call it an adventure game, I'm fine.

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Filthy Kalinite Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    I always thought that late game companions in BG1 were for ironmeme perma-death larpers.

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    ^ Top  
  10. Nano Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Nano
    ^ Top  
  11. jackofshadows Magister

jackofshadows
    Apparently, it's impossible. If you passing the arcane check (which doesn't depend on any class btw) you'll be told that basically there's no way to remove the ward, you have do destroy the whole thing and it's indestructible. Although she acknowledge later on how you did approach to it: tell her that she's fucked or tried anything (GOAT C&C material, oh yeah).

I'm done with this demo, too many crashes and it looks like ass (have a GPU below minimum requirements). Feels okay, gonna play it when it comes out for dat grafix (have to buy a new GPU, obviously), smash some pussy and mess around with multi-classing. I hope that they'll adjust cut scenes so they wouldn't look so clunky, will make slider for slow ass TB combat and many many more tuning will be done by that time.

Still zero hope that the meat of the game - encounters will be really fun to play longer than for the first act at best. I have a better feeling about companions entertainment wise, honestly.

^ Top  
  12. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    Still is not known how much content, quests, NPCs and companions is missing in this EA area.

^ Top  
  13. Tyranicon A Memory of Eternity Developer

Tyranicon
    Hey look, things that can be avoided by letting the player build a custom party right from the start.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. jackofshadows Magister

jackofshadows
    What's so amazing about it? Presets are lacking, high elves and drow have the same heads, for instance. No sliders, just array of presets just like in D:OS1/2 and many other games. It's amusing that games like MEA have set bar so low that anything that look not-revolting is enough for everyone, suddenly. Compare this to any modern MMO and you'll be probably truly amazed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Tyranicon A Memory of Eternity Developer

Tyranicon
    Black Desert and whatever the sequel is called starts laughing like an insane, big-titted anime waifu.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. fantadomat Arcane Edgy Wumao

fantadomat
    Fuck,the game is full on RNG shit. Constantly missing with 100%. It feels really cheap. Also retarded AI. Had a battle with some band of thieves,they rush some oil barrel,then their mage use are of effect fire spell that blows up their whole band because there was a vampire fag near it lol. LoL level fights feel annoying because of low hp and focus fireing.

• Funny x 2
    • retadred x 2
    • decline x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • Deus Vult x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Which is why Fallout is better than any previous IE game and improved the genre dramatically. :smug:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Tyranicon A Memory of Eternity Developer

Tyranicon
    Tbf, that's just DnD for ya. Low-level campaigns are always trash unless you want to laugh at your buddy's third attempt to roll a 5hp wizard that doesn't die.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. fantadomat Arcane Edgy Wumao

fantadomat
    Hmmm it looks like bg3 ea sold less than dos2. Curious if the EA will turn off people or it will sell more copies on release.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Poseidon00 Arcane

Poseidon00
    Yeah I like the game but the character creator is potentially the worst part. No customization, just a few presets of some mystery meat ethnic origin.

^ Top  
  21. fantadomat Arcane Edgy Wumao

fantadomat
    Yeah,the first few and the last few levels are always boring for a campaign. The game shines in the mid levels,where you have enough options but you could still have very hard fights. That said 5e feels like dumbed down trash.

^ Top  
  22. Ontopoly Hater of Larian

Ontopoly
    So what's up with weapons giving you skills like topple, rush, and cleave? I'm not completely up to snuff with 5e but surely our "most faithful game to dnd since toee" wouldn't deviate at all from 5e. I'm just glad Solasta is coming so people can have a turn based game that isn't this piece of shit

• Agree Agree x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Joseph Stalin Totally not Auraculum

Self-Ejected
    Let's see which of the two will prove to be the lesser of two evils:
    - No Early Access/Beta phases, resulting in a horrible, barely working, bug-ridden product on Day 1 (95% of all RPGs in the last 25 years).
    - EA/Beta phase implemented, resulting in months of bitching and moaning (= bad marketing) but allowing the studio to polish the product before official release.

• Brofist x 3
    • retadred x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. fantadomat Arcane Edgy Wumao

fantadomat
    A well polished game on release,now fuck of retard!

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Joseph Stalin Totally not Auraculum

Self-Ejected
    There never has been one, just like there are no white people in Bulgaria. I should've sent all of you to the gulags when I had the chance, but my comrades were afraid you'd steal all the equipment.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.