Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Yosharian

Arcane
I must say though, I do tend to avoid having traps for which the solution is merely 'Rogue uses Disable Device and hopes he rolls high enough'.

I just feel that's kinda boring and prefer traps where the players must think about what the solution is.
I don't mind those traps at all. I have no problem with monsters for which the solution is merely "Fighter hits them until they die". The poor rogue should get his chance to shine in one of his specialties. Otherwise people start thinking they can replace him with a Wand of Summon Monster. More elaborate traps should be used on special occasions only.

Angry GM should basically be required reading for anyone who wants to DM a PnP RPG
Meh. There are some occasional good nuggets in his long-winded rants, but his style is not for everyone.
I still give the rogue chance to shine, it's just not as simple as 'i roll disable device'

Gargaune

Magister
IDK iuf someone already brought it but :

How George Ziets would make BG3
Sounds cool, but it would probably work better as a TBS-RPG hybrid than a pure cRPG. I wouldn't mind a D&D Disciples clone. Or maybe go the PFKM route.

Much better than the Divinity Original sin clone : Dungeons & Kobolds edition that Larian is making.
If only. I don't know how you look at Baldur's Gate "3" with its cosmic calamari, interdimensional dragon riders and literal devils and go "needs more epic."

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I still give the rogue chance to shine, it's just not as simple as 'i roll disable device'
Then you're making things more difficult for your rogue for no apparent reason. Do you also dislike how simple it is for the fighter to just roll for his attacks? How simple it is for a wizard to cast a spell?

I'm not saying you should never have more elaborate traps that the rogue can't simply roll and disable. But if the player plays a rogue, that means he enjoys it. Why take it away from him entirely?

Yosharian

Arcane
Then you're making things more difficult for your rogue for no apparent reason. Do you also dislike how simple it is for the fighter to just roll for his attacks? How simple it is for a wizard to cast a spell?

I'm not saying you should never have more elaborate traps that the rogue can't simply roll and disable. But if the player plays a rogue, that means he enjoys it. Why take it away from him entirely?
I don't take it away from him. At all.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I don't take it away from him. At all.
What advantage the rogue player gets compared to the non-rogue players? GM-hand-written notes with clues? (I am not mocking, by the way, this is a genuine question.)

On older editions, backstabbing someone with a poisoned knife was really nasty. IDK how sneak attack and poison works on 5E. But it was pretty nasty on 2E and would probably be worse on BG3 than on 5e due "lower ac, increase hp" BS

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
On older editions, backstabbing someone with a poisoned knife was really nasty. IDK how sneak attack and poison works on 5E. But it was pretty nasty on 2E and would probably be worse on BG3 than on 5e due "lower ac, increase hp" BS
A rogue should be more than just a backstabbing machine. Disabling traps with a roll so the rest of the party won't have to bother is one of the things the class is supposed to do. If you take that away, what advantage does the rogue get in regards to trap-finding and disabling, specifically?

Harthwain

Magister
I was talking specifically in the context of Yosharian GMing his traps to be more than a simple roll for disabling them. It stands to reason that a rogue ought to have better insight into traps than his non-rogue-ish companions, but I am particularly interested in how he handles this in detail.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Not every two characters are the same. The 'Rogue' class is nothing but a template with specific guidelines, the character might be proficient with traps or not. In cases where a character should be able to shine, the problem is fixable immediately by giving advantage or allowing double/any arbitrary proficiency bonuses. If they still fail this extremely generous roll, it just wasn't meant to be. Maybe they had too much ale to drink last night.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I've often thought that difficult traps could be solved by consultation within the team. e.g. if it's a magic trap then the Mage can have some input and weight the roll a bit; if it's purely mechanical, then like a gnome or something might have extra weighting. (e.g. it could be a place where racial bonuses shine too.)

Could be like a miniature "storybook" sequence.

Yosharian

Arcane
What edition?
Whichever one you're playing.
Well, the Pathfinder unchained rogue has trapfinding which says

A rogue adds 1/2 her level on Perception checks to locate traps and on Disable Device checks (minimum +1). A rogue can use Disable Device to disarm magic traps.

This is the unique ability rogues bring to the table. So I would skin this as, rogues have a chance to disable certain magical traps that the other classes can't, and in addition they might be able to disarm the trap in such a way that it might be reused.

Other things depend heavily on the type of trap used, and even then specific traps of the same type might be disarmed in different ways.

As an example, a very simple and primitive trap I set up in a campaign I was running involved the use of a magical gemstone powering a trap that fired poison darts at the party.

I used AngryGM's click! rule to give the point man a chance to avoid the first dart they were exposed to. The poison was strong enough that even the toughest person in the party stood a good chance of dying if they got hit. The point man raised his shield which blocked the dart.

From that point they were able to get behind the device and eventually figure out that they needed to pry the gemstone out of the it to disable it.

I wouldn't rule that only a rogue could do that, but I would rule that only the rogue stood a chance of retrieving the entire mechanism intact so that he might reuse the trap against his enemies.

The gemstone was also used to power up some daggers they found on NPCs in that area

Yosharian

Arcane
It would probably be a unique thing, for other traps I'd think of something different. Maybe they can obtain an interesting mechanism from a mechanical trap. That they might be able to make something from.

My campaign has some steampunk elements so it would fit into that

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom