Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
What's this timer in the bottom left corner?

0d5e0329d1bb4b943842cedf4ddc1f6c.png

Thonius

Arcane
Still is not known how much content, quests, NPCs and companions is missing in this EA area.
I got kinda bored pretty fast, so cannot comment. But I heard that it is 20~25 hours. 4 levels? Allegedly a shit ton of lines and one Larian level aka chapter.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Before PS:T, RPGs -- even Infinity-engine RPGs -- were primarily about combat, traps, navigating tricky dungeons, building an adventuring party, etc., and their plots were essentially hero journeys about defeating a demon or dragon of some kind. After PS:T, RPGs are primarily about dialogue, lore, building a debating society/salon, and their plots typically subvert heroic tropes and explore an guilt-ridden protagonist overcoming his inner demons.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_(video_game)
Release October 10, 1997
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planescape:_Torment
Release December 12, 1999

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Yes, the contrast between FO (a game about combat, traps, navigating tricky dungeons, building an adventure party [to a mild degree], going on a hero journey, and defeating a mutant king) and later RPGs is exactly what I'm talking about. There are certainly still some post-PST games you could identify, most of which were in development pre-PST or continuation of pre-PST franchises (e.g., Arcanum, Icewind Dale 2). But by 2020, all major party-based RPGs are built from the model of Avellone's magnum opus, and generally they are written by his proteges.

Codex Year of the Donut
Yes, the contrast between FO (a game about combat, traps, navigating tricky dungeons, building an adventure party [to a mild degree], going on a hero journey, and defeating a mutant king) and later RPGs is exactly what I'm talking about. There are certainly still some post-PST games you could identify, most of which were in development pre-PST or continuation of pre-PST franchises (e.g., Arcanum, Icewind Dale 2). But by 2020, all major party-based RPGs are built from the model of Avellone's magnum opus, and generally they are written by his proteges.
and all of them are garbage

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
That doesn't diminish his influence though. My point is that BG3 is an "Avellonean RPG" -- made by people he taught along the lines he established. That's why I don't understand people questioning his influence.

Codex Year of the Donut
RPGs are primarily about dialogue, lore, building a debating society/salon, and their plots typically subvert heroic tropes and explore an guilt-ridden protagonist overcoming his inner demons.
Exactly which RPGs are supposedly "primarily about" this? Are we looking at a different genre?
If I go down a list of bigname RPGs made in the past 15 years I really struggle to find any that fit this.

Shadenuat

Arcane
It's actually a problem because developers lost focus of what makes D&D game a D&D game, and what was, at least good in say IE games:

dungeons
monsters
loot

they are now struggle to understand how to not put too many +1 weapons into the game and consistently fail at all these areas, yet, fundamentals of the game and 90% of time you spend in them is about Them, not talking with Ravels.
even my favorite Kingmaker completely failed me, utterly and completely, in Loot. (and barely passes in Monsters; has some ok dungeons, but not Durlag anyway)
and yet, it has million dialogue of chapters for every fucking companion even if they are not even that interesting.

Thonius

Arcane
It's actually a problem because developers lost focus of what makes D&D game a D&D game, and what was, at least good in say IE games:

dungeons
monsters
loot

they are now struggle to understand how to not put too many +1 weapons into the game and consistently fail at all these areas, yet, fundamentals of the game and 90% of time you spend in them is about Them, not talking with Ravels.
even my favorite Kingmaker completely failed me, utterly and completely, in Loot. (and barely passes in Monsters; has some ok dungeons, but not Durlag anyway)
and yet, it has million dialogue of chapters for every fucking companion even if they are not even that interesting.
How it failed you with loot? Anyhow I think because of the amount of options/classes devs gotta make sure that every class gets at least something. So they drop the loot all around you.
It's controversial opinion: survival element + hard weight cap must be put in the RPG's. So you cannot horde loot and you gotta get food. So instead of +1 swords enemy is going to drop apples + mundane sword. Add time limits redesigned in a new fashion (separate topic on how to implement meaningful time-limits and not to fuck player in the arse). Basically keep some sort of reward for player and cock-blocking his power-trip at the same time keeping game low magic.

Codex Year of the Donut

dungeons
monsters
loot

How it failed you with loot? Anyhow I think because of the amount of options/classes devs gotta make sure that every class gets at least something. So they drop the loot all around you.
It's controversial opinion: survival element + hard weight cap must be put in the RPG's. So you cannot horde loot and you gotta get food. So instead of +1 swords enemy is going to drop apples + mundane sword. Add time limits redesigned in a new fashion (separate topic on how to implement meaningful time-limits and not to fuck player in the arse). Basically keep some sort of reward for player and cock-blocking his power-trip at the same time keeping game low magic.
first release of kingmaker had awful loot, they fixed it up a bit with the first re-release

Shadenuat

Arcane
How it failed you with loot?
too much
too powerful
>>> too unbalanced
too often you get it just before enemy you want to use it on (retarded placement)
little connection to narrative or quests (make armor of skin from dragons ass) hence never feels like you earned it
16 pieces artifacts > utterly retarded just play BG2 ffs

Codex Year of the Donut
How it failed you with loot?
too much
too powerful
>>> too unbalanced
too often you get it just before enemy you want to use it on
little connection to narrative or quests (make armor of skin from dragons ass) hence never feels like you earned it
biggest example is that OP as shit bow in the troll keep that coincidentally completely destroys trolls right after they gave you an incredibly powerful ranger who uses bows.

Shadenuat

Arcane
biggest example is that OP as shit bow in the troll keep that coincidentally completely destroys trolls right after they gave you an incredibly powerful ranger who uses bows.
there is also new pwhnammer against undead near door to cyclops undead tomb.

there were things like that in BGs, modders actually created options to make it more reasonable (remove flame arrows from troll keep)

PST didn't invent it though, it was merely a good implementation of it. It wasn't a very popular game at the time of release either, so I don't think it was really emulated. Look at BG: barely any stat checks in the dialog.

I would actually blame NWN for the popularity of this dialog system more than any other game, since it was extremely popular. And while NWN was probably influenced by PST, it only emulated very shallow aspects of it. Most of it was the usual hero's journey you spoke of with romances tacked on, as was BG. NWN mainly imitated (shallow and pointless) stat checks in dialog.

And speaking of popularity, it's just a model that proved popular. Nothing particularly innovative about it and you can't say that Avellone invented it.

In truth, "the Avellone model" has its roots in CYOA writing and stuff like the CYOA in games like POE really show that.

And other models were tried - daggerfall/morrowind's wiki dialog, which was a lot like older games, for example. The problem is that they failed to catch on by comparison.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I would actually blame NWN for the popularity of this dialog system more than any other game, since it was extremely popular. And while NWN was probably influenced by PST, it only emulated very shallow aspects of it. Most of it was the usual hero's journey you spoke of with romances tacked on, as was BG. NWN mainly imitated (shallow and pointless) stat checks in dialog.
We're all fucked when crazy-ass Lambchop speaks sense. This game looks a lot more like a TB NWN to me, rather than any sort of BG or P:T.

We're all fucked when crazy-ass Lambchop speaks sense. This game looks a lot more like a TB NWN to me, rather than any sort of BG or P:T.
NWN and Morrowind were ultimately the wellspring of most of the decline we see today.

Poseidon00

Arcane
PST didn't invent it though, it was merely a good implementation of it. It wasn't a very popular game at the time of release either, so I don't think it was really emulated. Look at BG: barely any stat checks in the dialog.

And speaking of popularity, it's just a model that proved popular. Nothing particularly innovative about it and you can't say that Avellone invented it.

In truth, "the Avellone model" has its roots in CYOA writing and stuff like the CYOA in games like POE really show that.

And other models were tried - daggerfall/morrowind's wiki dialog, which was a lot like older games, for example. The problem is that they failed to catch on by comparison.

Shallow and pointless? Play a low int character in the OC and everyone treats you like a retard. Play a low Cha character and everyone treats you like the ugly freak you are.

I think stats being important is one of the few things it did right.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom