Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Shallow and pointless? Play a low int character in the OC and everyone treats you like a retard. Play a low Cha character and everyone treats you like the ugly freak you are.
That's nice, but OC was honestly one of the most mind numbing campaigns I've ever played in any game ever.

Besides, didn't they make 8 INT turn you into a retard? Could be wrong about that. (edit) The other part is that most skill checks were for flavor and offered little significant impact on the game. That's mostly what I meant by shallow.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

To explain on a bit more:

PST's stats could alter the course of the game and your development as a character. Entire dialogs could go completely differently.

It wasn't just "we'll make 5 ways to solve this quest and all of them lead to relatively the same conclusion, but in one you use traps, in another you use persuasion and in another you use agility etc. and it has virtually no impact on the overall story or your character."

NWN-style games treat stat checks as the equivalent of post-Deus Ex game design where they make optional vents to get to your objective just to give you the illusion of choice.

Poseidon00

Arcane
That's nice, but OC was honestly one of the most mind numbing campaigns I've ever played in any game ever.

Besides, didn't they make 8 INT turn you into a retard? Could be wrong about that. (edit) The other part is that most skill checks were for flavor and offered little significant impact on the game. That's mostly what I meant by shallow.

As a 12 year old that had never tried DnD, it was the best thing ever. I can't help but view it though nostalgia goggles tbh

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
a3bD5zf.jpg

Well?

Colin McComb had to put this nonsense here as well, huh?

Lilura is posting HARD HITTING AUTHORATAH INSIGHTS!
XtbJ2PB.png

She deleted her Baldur's Gate 3 blog. Guess the price of having to pay for and play Early Access was too high.

Oh I see, she folded it into her regular blog, well then. :M

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Interestingly enough, going by the Steam forum people are getting a bit fed up with the companions. Many think they are just way too aggressive and hostile. Not getting that adventure feeling I'm guessing. I think the start and the companion problem could have been fixed if the game actually started with a low level adventure with some like minded adventurers. Just so people get into that mindset, then maybe deep down in the starter dungeon you and your party could get ambushed by the illithid and kidnapped. They still would have to make the current companions more approachable, but maybe you would find them more sympathetic if you are shown them getting ambushed, seeing their friends torn a part by mind flayers (just like your party) - something to explain their paranoia and hostile nature.

jf8350143

Liturgist
I appreciate the fact that there is an option for non lethal damage. A failed roll doesn't mean that you have to kill an innocent.
except they still die. I knocked out the crazy dwarf lady, get the cure from her and she is dead now, for some reason.

Also my save just get destroyed due to bugs. Everytime I load the game I instantly get into combat with some random goblins in a room miles away from me and I can't even skip my turn.

My older save is 1 hour ago and I don't want to repeating these bullshit rolls and combat again. Uninstall it is then.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Also I think Larian is mistaking content with "more combat, more npc and more big areas".

DOS2 has about the right amount of enemy on each map(might be a little too much in the late game). Meanwhile this game has so many enemies I just want to one shot them and be done with it. How many hours do you have to spend on killing goblins just to finish one quest?

Jezal_k23

Interestingly enough, going by the Steam forum people are getting a bit fed up with the companions. Many think they are just way too aggressive and hostile. Not getting that adventure feeling I'm guessing. I think the start and the companion problem could have been fixed if the game actually started with a low level adventure with some like minded adventurers. Just so people get into that mindset, then maybe deep down in the starter dungeon you and your party could get ambushed by the illithid and kidnapped. They still would have to make the current companions more approachable, but maybe you would find them more sympathetic if you are shown them getting ambushed, seeing their friends torn a part by mind flayers (just like your party) - something to explain their paranoia and hostile nature.

I miss this too. With Baldur's Gate 1 Bioware knew how to start the game - Candlekeep. And they stick with relatively low stakes the whole game. And low companion drama. That's how you start a fucking RPG. The start of BG3 is too epic right away, and I'm sad that making everything as epic as possible is Larian's first instinct nowadays.

Poseidon00

Arcane
except they still die. I knocked out the crazy dwarf lady, get the cure from her and she is dead now, for some reason.

Also my save just get destroyed due to bugs. Everytime I load the game I instantly get into combat with some random goblins in a room miles away from me and I can't even skip my turn.

My older save is 1 hour ago and I don't want to repeating these bullshit rolls and combat again. Uninstall it is then.

Sounds like a bug. I mean, it IS day 2 of early access. The point is clearly to not kill them.

I got the goblin from another dimension glitch too lol.

jf8350143

Liturgist
A little more thoughts about one big map vs hub based map.

Every area is connected, you get their by walking not moving on the map. So in the end it feels more like you walk down the street to a park, sure it looks much different comparing to your home, but you know you are still in the very same town. You don't get the sense of travelling around a larger world. It might change because the existence of a world map indicates you can travel from places to places unlike DOS 2.

jf8350143

Liturgist

I think the problem is you don't trust any of them and none of them trust you as well. You are all in this because mind flayers did something to you, it's group being forced to travel together. Normally in CPRG your first one or two companions joins you willingly, and they are generally friendly toward you. And most of them aren't evil. Unlike in BG 3 your companions are neutral at best.

Bara

Arcane
After playing it for a while yesterday the games fine but im not feeling any of that classic or even new rpg wonder.

Like loading up BG1 earlier in the week for yet again I still feel the magic even doing the same stuff for the 100th time. Playing naheulbeuk I'm enjoying traveling and seeing the sights in a new rpg.

Yet playing BG3 really just dosent even feel like DOS3 it just feels like more DOS2 except with a non-shitty turn order system and better class fantasy/mechanics. Also less fucked up treasure with no loot fever nonsense but they still got it wrong by handing plus 1's out so freaking much.

Like in in a B/X D&D campagin and i love my plus 1 long sword or +3 vs undead. I treasure it so much I want to name the darn thing. Stuff like that makes along side the great class system that delivers the fantasy of it yet is so simple along makes both gaining levels (even if all you get is base hp sometimes) and treasure feel so amazing.

Which after 3rd and 4th is what 5th is supposed to be getting back to while taking the good stuff from 3.5. Yet larain ignores that just giving out magic +1 items like candy.

It really dosent capture the OAD&D heroic spirit nor the super-heroics of character building in 3.5.

Also, the whole starting off imeditally captured by a mindflayer ship does not the ground the character or the story at all. If they started the game in any of the other citities on the sword coast and have at least a prologue adventure that fets you to level 2 before the abduction they would have given players a sense of the weirdness going on and why the companions are friegtend or aggresive during the situation.

And to anyone who thinks the game its being handicaped by 5e I have to reject that position. While 5e is by no means my favorite edition I can still play and enjoy it. The Solasta demo proves that as it made me instantly interested and excited for its release and captured that sense of wonder I mentioned at the start unlike BG3.

I still think this is going to be a fun rpg to play but unless some how the other acts or more critical voices get heard in early access over the fan hyping I doubt it'll ever reach the heights of the classic rpgs.

J1M

Arcane
I guess this is a 5e problem, but I don't like that I didn't get to make any choices at level up.

Narax

Educated

I managed to pickpocket the antidote from her, but then she initiated dialogue as if she's the one who gave it to me. A lot of quest content seems to be either messy or missing different C&C.

jf8350143

Liturgist
After playing it for a while yesterday the games fine but im not feeling any of that classic or even new rpg wonder.

Like loading up BG1 earlier in the week for yet again I still feel the magic even doing the same stuff for the 100th time. Playing naheulbeuk I'm enjoying traveling and seeing the sights in a new rpg.

Yet playing BG3 really just dosent even feel like DOS3 it just feels like more DOS2 except with a non-shitty turn order system and better class fantasy/mechanics. Also less fucked up treasure with no loot fever nonsense but they still got it wrong by handing plus 1's out so freaking much.

Like in in a B/X D&D campagin and i love my plus 1 long sword or +3 vs undead. I treasure it so much I want to name the darn thing. Stuff like that makes along side the great class system that delivers the fantasy of it yet is so simple along makes both gaining levels (even if all you get is base hp sometimes) and treasure feel so amazing.

Which after 3rd and 4th is what 5th is supposed to be getting back to while taking the good stuff from 3.5. Yet larain ignores that just giving out magic +1 items like candy.

It really dosent capture the OAD&D heroic spirit nor the super-heroics of character building in 3.5.

Also, the whole starting off imeditally captured by a mindflayer ship does not the ground the character or the story at all. If they started the game in any of the other citities on the sword coast and have at least a prologue adventure that fets you to level 2 before the abduction they would have given players a sense of the weirdness going on and why the companions are friegtend or aggresive during the situation.

And to anyone who thinks the game its being handicaped by 5e I have to reject that position. While 5e is by no means my favorite edition I can still play and enjoy it. The Solasta demo proves that as it made me instantly interested and excited for its release and captured that sense of wonder I mentioned at the start unlike BG3.

I still think this is going to be a fun rpg to play but unless some how the other acts or more critical voices get heard in early access over the fan hyping I doubt it'll ever reach the heights of the classic rpgs.

I don't find much magical items while exploring(I only get 3 of them in 10 hours), but the merchants do sell tons of them.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Like in in a B/X D&D campagin and i love my plus 1 long sword or +3 vs undead
The thing about memorable items is that, in many ways, they are done through designers (or DMs) sleight of hand
It actually doesn't have much to do with power of the item, or its abilities at all (aka milliard 5% chance procs of extra DPS), but more with when you find item, how you find item (it is rewarding when you put effort into things), and what you fight with the item
power is relative, because if world only has one +1 sword, it means that this is the most powerful sword, even if it just gives you +5% to hit and +1 extra damage.
a lot of Arcanum items are kinda junk in practical sense, but much of game's charm is about making them.
so I would say, that if instead writing another dialogue of What Does One Adventurer Life Matter, designer puts more of that effort into items, or story/ecology of dungeons you explore, or curious monsters, you can achieve more with less.

but instead, enjoy romances and colored item tiers. :shittydog:

It's actually a problem because developers lost focus of what makes D&D game a D&D game, and what was, at least good in say IE games:

dungeons
monsters
loot

they are now struggle to understand how to not put too many +1 weapons into the game and consistently fail at all these areas, yet, fundamentals of the game and 90% of time you spend in them is about Them, not talking with Ravels.
even my favorite Kingmaker completely failed me, utterly and completely, in Loot. (and barely passes in Monsters; has some ok dungeons, but not Durlag anyway)
and yet, it has million dialogue of chapters for every fucking companion even if they are not even that interesting.

totally agree, I don't think any of them know anymore what makes a good D&D game. They are all broken by the MMO loot pinata party thing, and think just adding more of it will make people happy because people always say they want 'Moore Loot". Eventually Kingmaker crazy ass loot made it so that I had to stop playing, it was so insane.

Josh Sawyer actually designs good campaign worlds and does not go crazy with magic shit everywhere, but then his insistence to not use D&D ruins the whole thing.... if he would design D&D again I think he would be better at it than all these people. But he seemingly hates D&D now, so oh well.

Payd Shell

Arcane
Probably because the capeshit way of handling characters is an infectious disease. Replacing actual charaters with snarky one-liner machines works somewhat if you keep changing the scene and distract the audience with a lot of bling-bling and explosions but in a game that's hard to achieve. Can't wat for the 'incels and nazi goobergators afraid of stronk wahmen and catty gays again' narrative.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Replacing actual charaters with snarky one-liner machines works somewhat if you keep changing the scene and distract the audience with a lot of bling-bling and explosions but in a game that's hard to achieve.

The Joss Whedon school of character writing :)

that would be a much more engaging and cool tutorial/starting area, that is a great idea.

J1M

Arcane
that would be a much more engaging and cool tutorial/starting area, that is a great idea.
They will release those mini origin campaigns for the companions that give them a tragic backstory or whatever. It's basically what you want, but just not for the main character.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
They will release those mini origin campaigns for the companions that give them a tragic backstory or whatever. It's basically what you want, but just not for the main character.

Is that a confirmed thing?

Makes it even more like DOS, your custom main character being a side-kick in the story.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom