Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
BG3 is so amazing that the codex can't stop talking about it even when nothing new releases for months

NObody is talking about BG3 here. This thread has a lot of discussions about 5E vs 3E, larian X larian haters, comparisons with other games, game journalist mockery and now, alignment discussions. BG3 has almost no content and people already discussed about hp bloat, astarion, retarded writing, and other BG3 problems.

Larian fanboys keep talking "it is popular" "it is good", but can't write a single thing which BG3 did better than other CRPGs.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Sorry but that's the plain truth. Even paladins in this edition are far more interesting.

Just read the damn thread that njcclaw NJClaw linked earlier instead of spouting nonsense.

edited

I did and i still believe allignments has to go. The psyche of an individual is far more complex than some words on a piece of paper. Now we can do perfectly morally believable character that can evolve depending on the events they face. Allignment was always unnecessary and did more harm than good.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I did and i still believe allignments has to go. The psyche of an individual is far more complex than some words on a piece of paper. Now we can do perfectly morally believable character that can evolve depending on the events they face. Allignment was always unnecessary and did more harm than good.
All it did is offer a better crutch to people without an imagination.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

At thwe countrary 5th edition brought a lot more of narrative play on the table thanks for the lack of allingment adventurers are more keen to do investigation to find who has ill intentions rather than "hey i casted detect evil on him so it must be up to ill intent m'kay?". It adds a lot of new dynamism on the table allignment create static gamey mechanics must be a paladin so must be good. Well not anymore. Paladin's now are different and there is also the Oathbreaker.

THere are a reason if lawful good character were nicknamed: Stupid Good.
ANd Chaotic evil characters were nicknamed: Stupid Evil.

Maxie

is d&d really the go-to system for some moral dilemma driven theatrics or is it simply the most popular one so annoying people who are into theatrics expect to be catered to on the mechanical level

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm not sure if you noticed, but 2 people analyzed what Liam Neeson's character did in Taken, and if you try to practice empathy, you'll realize that both are right. And if a 3rd one would've shown up, you would've probably agreed with him too.

The real issue is that you can't give traits to characters the way the current system does without stumbling into a 2h semantics argument, "because muh shades of gray" (not grey, btw - that's a show)

And even if, historically, D&D has stumbled mechanically to adapt to it's narrative counterpart, it doesn't mean that the human element was ever taken from the board game. Many a DM has worked around the drawbacks of the board game. The real issue is that if the boardgame spells out traits for you, then it basically hands you a crutch. And you can disagree all you want, but it's true. And it's there. For the dumb masses to consume.

All hail the decline.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
All it did is offer a better crutch to people without an imagination.

Gnome alignment can be summarized on :
Lawful Good with other gnomes
Chaotic Neutral with Chaotic evil tendencies with any non gnome

Kaivokz

Arcane
Or perhaps would the two be Good acts, but one would be Lawful and the other Chaotic? And if so, which one would be which?
Killing a man because you think his death could possibly prevent future harm, though no fault of his own, is always evil.

A "chaotic good" person who murders an innocent to prevent some other harm is wearing a false face. You cannot slit an innocent person's throat with good intentions any more than you can put a loaded gun to someone's head, pull the trigger, and not intend to kill them.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

Your exposition doesn’t support your topic sentence. If anything it supports the opposite. You’ve been tricked into throwing up your hands and supporting nihilism out of an excess of plenty. It makes no sense.

One is a closer approximation of many than zero is.

Last edited:

Ulysa

Scholar
did and i still believe allignments has to go. The psyche of an individual is far more complex than some words on a piece of paper. Now we can do perfectly morally believable character that can evolve depending on the events they face. Allignment was always unnecessary and did more harm than good.
Not very reallistic, but it was more fun, I would say.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Cv.png

I'm sure Sawyer at least would approve of trying to cram an "alignment system" like this into a P&P ruleset, at least.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Then there's Varg Vikernes' take on alignment:
In MYFAROG there is a rather complex alignment system. You are not "good" or "evil", but either contemplative or ecstatic; harmonic or disharmonic; spiritual or materialistic; sympathetic or unsympathetic; or neutral to all of these factors, which in MYFAROG are called attitudes.

The contemplative is intellectual, introvert and likes to meditate, think or pray. The ecstatic on the other hand is more extrovert and likes wild dancing, gorging, and other excitement, and is inclined to screaming and shouting or violence and combat. The harmonic is calm, peace seeking, balanced and conflict solving; he thinks things through before he acts. The disharmonic on the other hand is more hysterical, unbalanced, emotional and conflict seeking. “Dog does not eat dog.” The spiritual always thinks about the consequences of his actions on a spiritual level and believes in a life or at least some form of existence after death. The materialistic on the other hand only thinks about the consequences he will face in life. He might still believe in a life after death, but even if he does this belief hardly influences his actions in life. The sympathetic is considerate, altruistic, kind and empathic. The unsympathetic is more ruthless, egotistical and merciless.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Even funnier that Solasta seems to conflate pragmatism with "good"
Pretty sure all tags on the middle are neutral. so 2 for good 2 for evil 2 chaos 2 neutral/neutral. DuH
Caution is evil? Like relaxing around some racesancestries?
I'm gonna be honest, tying those tags to the alignment feels really tacked on. There were no hints that they somehow related to the alignment even in the latest EA release, tags were just listed in order - so this shit was added together with the pronouns.
Which reinforces my point about alignment being unnecessary. Is "violence [evil]" better than "violence", if no substance beneath the name is changed?
Pragmatism and caution are both associated with the neutral alignments --- not just true neutral but the other four that are neutral on one axis only.

neA8UfA.png

Kindness and altruism are associated with all three good alignments, greed and violence with all three evil alignments, lawfulness and authority with all three lawful alignments, and egoism and cynicism with all three chaotic alignments.

Note that a character's background also offers a few choices for personality traits, so that, for example, someone who is not evil could still choose greed via a background of lowlife, spy, or academic. :M

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
So.. I've not been following development. Does the game still look like shit? Is it still a baby's first RPG with a 4 person party?

Or have they got their shit together?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom