Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Delterius

Arcane
i hate larian but i swear to God that if people start saying that dragon age inquisition was the good shit compared to baldurs gate 3 i'm going to pay DU one brazillion dollars to ban everyone in this thread, including me

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The last AAA game which I liked was Battlefield 1. BF5 I will not play. Sorry, but not interested in afrocybernazis independent woman saving the world. AAA game devs makes games to the lowest common denominator and often underestimate his playerbase. EA was concerned that people who buy BF1 would't know that WW1 happened source. And Larian is not exception. Swen criticized the concept of spell slots and spell levels, saying that is not intuitive. This while owlcat gives 2 spellbooks with two different scaling stats if you play as a caster and pick a caster heavy mythic path.

hate larian but i swear to God that if people start saying that dragon age inquisition was the good shit compared to baldurs gate 3 i

If someone says that it is a bait. DA:I is the most boring RPG that I ever played in my entire life. BG3 at least has the potential to be good once modders fixes the game. DA:I will be forever in the shit tier along with Diablo 3, ArcaniA and etc.

Gargaune

Magister
And "mosaic collection" - bitch, seriously? What are they going to have next, a chewing-gum picker-upper simulator?
"Next?" It's been an illness in the genre for years, except they say the chewing gum is super magical and that's why the generic NPC needs precisely 23 pieces of it.

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
Arcania was a gamingcide and crime against humanity en masse. We should get Gothic 4 by Piranha and now playing Gothic 5. And what do we have ? Jetpacks and air combat in Elex 2, well it can be different story.
I like Elex theme but im really sad i never see Gothic 4.

Atchodas

Augur
i hate larian but i swear to God that if people start saying that dragon age inquisition was the good shit compared to baldurs gate 3 i'm going to pay DU one brazillion dollars to ban everyone in this thread, including me
Plenty of idiots are coming out of their caves to say DAI was good/playable/serviceable game. It wasnt it is trash.

Same is happening with Sawyers Pillars Derpfire where fanboys are working over time for 5 years to convince newcomers that its good. It isnt.

jackofshadows

Magister
It's a retarded compromise for casuals. You either have inventory limitations and all that loot management which comes with it or you just label it as a conditionality and spare the player from needless busywork like it's done in CSG or WL3 IIRC for example. You can still have weight limitations in general like for barrels. By the way, I bet Lae'zel will become more popular with these changes, adding herself a new subclass as barrelbearer.
Unfortunately, it's core design and way too late to change. The context menu is just a convenient shortcut for teleporting to camp and depositing stuff manually, which you could do at will anyway. Changing that now would require limiting camp access, either with abstract rules or by physically placing it into the worldspace, as well as overhauling general itemisation to trim clutter and make loot sparser and more meaningful, with all the knockon effects that entails onto gameplay systems and balance. Basically, that ship sailed long before the game went into EA.
Yes, implementing actual loot management would require a massive overhaul but they could as well just discard inventory limit completely because right now it's pointless.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
DAI is a good shit compared to a lot of games made after it. Tho rest easy,DA2 is still not a good shit compared to anything. When people begin comparing DA2 to something and say it is a good shit,then we are in the gutter.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I shall pitch in with in with one danillion dollares

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Larian could add new spells :
  • Circle 1 : Create barrel
  • Circle 2 : Create water or oil barrel
  • Circle 3 : Create explosive barrel
  • Circle 4 : Create barrel, mass (creates d6+2)
  • Circle 5 : Create water or oil barrel, mass (creates d6+2)
  • Circle 6 : Create explosive barrel, mass(creates d6+2)
  • Circle 7 : Create ginormous explosive barrel
Would be by far the most useful spells of the game. Depending on the lv cap, the c6/7 spells will gonna be only from scrolls. And introduce the wizard subclass : barrelmancer which gets a additional create barrel spell. Barrelmancers can detonate barrels created by him as a free action. Or move using telekinesis.
If all these barrels could be filled with beer, I would champion this game as one of the best of all time.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Is there any other RPG that offers this amount of alternative paths based solely on your choice of race? Granted, this is still early access and a lot is bound to change but from what I have seen so far:

1) Get attacked based solely on your race
2) Get trusted by the bad guys and let you waltz right through, while any other race gets attacked
3) Opening a different solution to clear a fort
4) Get more knowledge about something if you ask someone while being from a certain race, shortcutting an entire quest.

And more...

I cannot think of any other RPG that had this much interactivity solely on race choice alone.

1) Pillars franchise: Lol, race means fuck all, dialogue choice pure cosmetics.
2) Pathfinder : More lol, you can be a tiefling and ask the tiefling what is a tiefling, zero interactivity.
3) Dragon age: This is the only one I can think of, but it was mainly in the first game.

I honestly don't understand the hate. If the game maintains this level of interactivity based solely on race then the final product will be something truly unique. And i am not even counting different choices because of class, skills, etc.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
I honestly don't understand the hate.
larian derangement syndrome

If the game maintains this level of interactivity based solely on race than the final product will be something truly unique. And i am not even counting different choices because of class, skills, etc.
my favorite is all the different ways to solve problems and the game typically acknowledges it and rewards you for thinking outside the box
rarely ever does something have only one solution

you become so accustomed to thinking of ways to do things that you get surprised when it doesn't work e.g., silencing the priestess in her room didn't stop her from shouting for help(iirc they fixed this tho)

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I honestly don't understand the hate.
larian derangement syndrome

If the game maintains this level of interactivity based solely on race than the final product will be something truly unique. And i am not even counting different choices because of class, skills, etc.
my favorite is all the different ways to solve problems and the game typically acknowledges it and rewards you for thinking outside the box
rarely ever does something have only one solution

you become so accustomed to thinking of ways to do things that you get surprised when it doesn't work e.g., silencing the priestess in her room didn't stop her from shouting for help(iirc they fixed this tho)

My favorite was hiding in the roof of the hobgoblin throne room and throwing the bottle that contained the demon from Zentarium agents at the middle of the court, I had no idea what will happen and was just fucking around. Cue the bottle break and the demon attacking the court and killing the hobgoblin leader, I then casted freefall on myself and jumped down into the spider pits and then persuaded the spiders (I was a priest of lollth) to kill the rest of the goblins because they displeased me. Cue the demon and the spiders nearly wiping out the entire fort then attacking each other. It was beautiful.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I also used the misty step amulet to teleport myself inside the zentarium storage room and stole the locked chest, because I could not lockpick it, I stole the entire chest. When I went to camp I just dropped the chest in front of Astarion who lockpicked it for me, 3000 gold.

Gargaune

Magister
2) Pathfinder : More lol, you can be a tiefling and ask the tiefling what is a tiefling, zero interactivity.
You really didn't pick the best example there, PFKM might not account much for race but it's a pretty strong contender in C&C in general. Go on and compare alignment... Oh, right, WotC says no.

I honestly don't understand the hate. If the game maintains this level of interactivity based solely on race then the final product will be something truly unique. And i am not even counting different choices because of class, skills, etc.
It's not really hate, more like frustration. Some of it due to being about as much a BG sequel as Fallout 3 was to the Codex's sacred cow, and most of it due to some strangely obtuse design choices that clearly hold it back. For my part, I'm quite pacified by the recent Group Toggle bind. Just give me a Shift + Portrait Click shortcut to also group/ungroup individual character and an edge turning option for the camera and I can live with the rest.

The game has promise, but it's also got its share of problems. Some are core design and a moot point by now, but others could be addressed if Larian capitalises on this EA exercise.

Codex Year of the Donut
my favorite example of C&C in PFKM is when you can choose not to tell various people your name -- and the game warns you about the power people can have over you if they know your name -- but in the end they just find out anyways no matter what you do and you're being railroaded the entire time
great C&C

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
You really didn't pick the best example there, PFKM might not account much for race but it's a pretty strong contender in C&C in general. Go on and compare alignment... Oh, right, WotC says no.

But those C&C are available to everyone regardless of race, class, etc. The choices you make at character creation means nothing and are not acknowledged at all. Race means nothing. Class means nothing and not addressed in the narrative. That is what I meant

Vatnik Wumao
But those C&C are available to everyone regardless of race, class, etc. The choices you make at character creation means nothing and are not acknowledged at all. Race means nothing. Class means nothing and not addressed in the narrative. That is what I meant
I mirror your sentiments, but it's mostly a consequence of it being too much work to implement such reactivity.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
That's only because you made the wrong choices at character creation. For example, when I play an Aasimar Paladin with Int 7, I feel rewarded when my character reveals herself for the dumbfuck she is by asking to another Aasimar what an Aasimar is.

:negative:

Codex Year of the Donut
I mirror your sentiments, but it's mostly a consequence of it being too much work to implement such reactivity.
"too much work to implement one of the core parts of actually being an RPG"
yeah, I know that PFKM is just a buildfag simulator. Most of the people who like it on the codex haven't even finished it

Gargaune

Magister
I get that, but it's splitting hairs a little bit. Skill and alignment-restricted choices aren't exactly at will, on the spot decisions either. Don't get me wrong, C&C is an aspect I appreciate about BG3, but I don't think PFKM is the best example of "not that" to compare it to, it's among the more solid titles in that regard.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I cannot think of any other RPG that had this much interactivity solely on race choice alone.

Arcanum. Create a elf and a orc and see the initial dialog. VtMB, there is no "races" per say in the game, but playing the game as a Tremere or Nosferatu changes way more than playing BG3 as a half orc fighter or as a elf wizard.

Anyway, the UNIQUE great thing about BG3 is interactivity.

but in the end they just find out anyways no matter what you do and you're being railroaded the entire time
great C&C

Yep. That part with soul eaters sucked. However, PF:KM has a entire optional chapter depending on your choices.

PFKM might not account much for race but it's a pretty strong contender in C&C in general. Go on and compare alignment..

Yep. Larian fanboys are comparing to PF:KM which nobody advocate that is great by having lots and lots of C&C mainly in race department.

But lets compare a game by a company with over 300 workers VS a indie russian studio.
  • How many spells are in BG3 vs in PF:KM?
  • How many races are in BG3 vs in KM?
  • How many arquetypes/subclasses are in BG3 vs in KM?
  • How many weapons are in each game?
  • How many feats can you chose in each game?
  • Locations?
  • Mob variety?
  • Options to customize difficulty?
  • Options to customize the combat? Like accelerating the animations in turn based for eg? And chose between TB or RtWP
  • (...)
Can I play as a Dhampir Wizard in path to become a Lich on BG3 and cast really nasty spells? In Wrath I can. I still prefer other types of undeath like becoming a shade or a vampire, but liches are cool too.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom