Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Gargaune

Magister
Saying Kingmaker is a strong contender in C&C in general is just straight up glorifying a game however, then again I recall Gargaune said the story was more than serviceable.
And I also told you why it was more than serviceable. Either way, that's not pertinent here, it was Meredoth who was comparing BG3's C&C with PFKM's build mechanics, my only point was that rusty_shackleford can't read.

Saravan

Savant
Saying Kingmaker is a strong contender in C&C in general is just straight up glorifying a game however, then again I recall Gargaune said the story was more than serviceable.
And I also told you why it was more than serviceable. Either way, that's not pertinent here, it was Meredoth who was comparing BG3's C&C with PFKM's build mechanics, my only point was that rusty_shackleford can't read.

No worries mate I was just trying to work it into a joke (and of course it was the Lich King, who else).

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
To distract you from this terrible, terrible conversation, new companion lines datamined.

Lae'zel killed several of her cousins.
Gale now has lines referring to being murdered by you upon first meeting, and then resurrected after his projection shows up.
Astarion has lines referring being killed by someone, and then being brought back by you.
Astarion has lines referring being killed by you, and then resurrected.
Astarion talks about Helia, the halfling companion. Calls her sweet. He refers to Helia being romanceable.
Astarion talks about Minsc. Minsc seems to be romanceable.
Shadowheart has lines referring to being killed by you, and then resurrected.
All characters have lines referring new magic items, merregons, dragons, duergar, Harpers, Shadowheart's box.
It seems that according the new lore, Shadowheart's box is protecting you against turning into a mind flayer.

The ride never ends...
artworks-zyn3PQ0Yslr4gTby-6yXwlw-t240x240.jpg

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Is there any other RPG that offers this amount of alternative paths based solely on your choice of race? Granted, this is still early access and a lot is bound to change but from what I have seen so far:

1) Get attacked based solely on your race
2) Get trusted by the bad guys and let you waltz right through, while any other race gets attacked
3) Opening a different solution to clear a fort
4) Get more knowledge about something if you ask someone while being from a certain race, shortcutting an entire quest.

And more...

I cannot think of any other RPG that had this much interactivity solely on race choice alone.

1) Pillars franchise: Lol, race means fuck all, dialogue choice pure cosmetics.
2) Pathfinder : More lol, you can be a tiefling and ask the tiefling what is a tiefling, zero interactivity.
3) Dragon age: This is the only one I can think of, but it was mainly in the first game.

I honestly don't understand the hate. If the game maintains this level of interactivity based solely on race then the final product will be something truly unique. And i am not even counting different choices because of class, skills, etc.
EverQuest :cool:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
They made EQ in the 1990s with a budget of 3 million! (5% of BG3 with inflation) And it's crazily good, and so much depth. Almost every aspect of the game is better than I've seen in any other game and I could talk all day about, the combat, itemization, dungeons, world building, etc.. Just race alone, I'll try to explain..

You make a character with name, class, attributes, race, and religion. There are 16 classes, 16 races, and 14 religions or 15 with agnostic. Now everything in the huge world will react to you based on your race and religion and class (and your actions). Many things will attack you on sight, many will love you, and everything in between:
  • Ally
  • Warmly
  • Kindly
  • Amiable
  • Indifferent
  • Apprehensive
  • Dubious
  • Threatening
  • Aggressive

There are several hundred factions based on a lot more than race, for example a group of merchants in a city might be part of a trade collective with some far away miners that are different races and different religions, they just happen to be partners. So if you kill one of these merchants and then flee the city, the guards might want you dead, and these far away miners might want you dead. And if you get into a fight with one of those miners and kill him, you may now be enemy to a whole city you haven't even visited yet. But you can improve your relationships by hunting the enemies of whoever you want to befriend. And eventually they will go from trying to kill you, to ignoring you, to maybe offering you quests or help.

Pretty sure they got one guy to design the whole faction system. This guy (even though it isn't credited):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raph_Koster

Last edited:

Elex

Arbiter
They made EQ in the 1990s with a budget of 3 million! (5% of BG3 with inflation) And it's crazily good, and so much depth. Almost every aspect of the game is better than I've seen in any other game and I could talk all day about, the combat, itemization, dungeons, world building, etc.. Just race alone, I'll try to explain..

You make a character with name, class, attributes, race, and religion. There are 16 classes, 16 races, and 14 religions or 15 with agnostic. Now everything in the huge world will react to you based on your race and religion and class. Many things will attack you on sight, many will love you, and everything in between:
  • Ally
  • Warmly
  • Kindly
  • Amiable
  • Indifferent
  • Apprehensive
  • Dubious
  • Threatening
  • Aggressive

There are several hundred factions based on a lot more than race, for example a group of merchants in a city might be part of a trade collective with some far away miners that are different races and different religions, they just happen to be partners. So if you kill one of these merchants and then flee the city, the guards might want you dead, and these far away miners might want you dead. And if you get into a fight with one of those miners and kill him, you may now be enemy to a whole city you haven't even visited yet. But you can improve your relationships by hunting the enemies of whoever you want to befriend. And eventually they will go from trying to kill you, to ignoring you, to maybe offering you quests or help.

Pretty sure they got one guy to design the whole faction system. This guy (even though it isn't credited):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raph_Koster
Ultima online was better, everquest is just the basic themepark that started the mmo decline.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
To distract you from this terrible, terrible conversation, new companion lines datamined.

Lae'zel killed several of her cousins.
Gale now has lines referring to being murdered by you upon first meeting, and then resurrected after his projection shows up.
Astarion has lines referring being killed by someone, and then being brought back by you.
Astarion has lines referring being killed by you, and then resurrected.
Astarion talks about Helia, the halfling companion. Calls her sweet. He refers to Helia being romanceable.
Shadowheart has lines referring to being killed by you, and then resurrected.
All characters have lines referring new magic items, merregons, dragons, duergar, Harpers, Shadowheart's box.
It seems that according the new lore, Shadowheart's box is protecting you against turning into a mind flayer.

The ride never ends...
artworks-zyn3PQ0Yslr4gTby-6yXwlw-t240x240.jpg

Inb4 Minsc is gay.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Ultima online was better, everquest is just the basic themepark that started the mmo decline.
Not true at all. I bet you played neither.

the codex

where randomly some guy will appear in some shitty thread to rant about EverQuest of all things
Well the guy asked, I answered. And not only did I give a game which did all the impressive things, but it did far more than BG3 will ever do, with 5% of BG3's budget, a smaller team, and 22+ years ago. It's the whole reason I registered here, to try to explain how much higher peoples expectations could be for gaming. But it's not really viable anymore. Society has degenerated too far.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Not true at all. I bet you played neither.

Yep. I honestly only played both very little. Say that EQ and WoW are the same cuz both are themepark is moronic. Is like saying that Albion Online and Ultima Online are the same cuz both are sandbox when UO has hundreds of times more depth and RP on it. Everquest by my little experience still fells like a 90s RPG.

Anyway, back to BG3. Gale is the unique companion which I am curious about his story and development in future chapters.

Larianshill

Arbiter

It seems that they removed a bunch of barks from Shadowheart that refer to her religion.
Including her barks about Selune.

Codex Year of the Donut

It seems that they removed a bunch of barks from Shadowheart that refer to her religion.
Including her barks about Selune.

or they just messed up and accidentally disabled them, or they're being re-recorded for some reason, or ...
attempting to infer anything from this is pointless

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Sometimes I have things Id like to discuss about this game, but I've always the impression I'd be interrupting you guys.
Discuss stuff! I'm waiting for release and maybe some mods and patches. But I wish it well. I would put money on this game ending up good though, if I had to. And I don't think anything's good. They cultivated that engine for a long time and I don't really like the games they've made with it but only because the explosion-fest combat is less fun than D&D based stuff. That engine with a whole selection of D&D spells and a bigger budget to hopefully fill it with some decent content, it could be great.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
https://comicbook.com/gaming/amp/news/dungeons-dragons-canon-roleplaying-game-novels/?
"For many years, we in the Dungeons & Dragons RPG studio have considered things like D&D novels, D&D video games, D&D comic books, as wonderful expressions of D&D storytelling and D&D lore, but they are not canonical for the D&D roleplaying game," Crawford said. "Part of that is we don’t want DMs to feel that in order to run the game, they need to read a certain set of novels. We want you to read them for the joy of reading them, but not as homework."
I just realized that this means Abdel Adrian is no longer canonical in any way.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://comicbook.com/gaming/amp/news/dungeons-dragons-canon-roleplaying-game-novels/?
"For many years, we in the Dungeons & Dragons RPG studio have considered things like D&D novels, D&D video games, D&D comic books, as wonderful expressions of D&D storytelling and D&D lore, but they are not canonical for the D&D roleplaying game," Crawford said. "Part of that is we don’t want DMs to feel that in order to run the game, they need to read a certain set of novels. We want you to read them for the joy of reading them, but not as homework."
I just realized that this means Abdel Adrian is no longer canonical in any way.
Man I hope somebody tells this to Auraculum or @testownia or whatever alt that boy's going by now.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
From the perspective of a Baldurs Gate fan, can anyone actually tell me why this game would appeal to you? I get people liked dos2 somehow so this game would appeal to them but specifically from a bg1,2 fan perspective, can anyone tell me why this would appeal to them? I'm not even asking if you think the game is good. I'm asking if the game is even Baldur's Gate in any capacity design wise and philosophy wise. If someone were a bg fan and nothing else this would not appeal to them and that marks this game as a bg3 fake. Sequels should build, not side step. I'm still adamant that this game needs a name change and that swen is a thief.

Baldur's Gate 3 is to Baldur's Gate what fallout 3 was to fallout.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom