Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Studios - now available on Early Access

Discussion in 'Larian Studios' started by Infinitron, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Hóngwèibīng Arcane Vatnik Wumao

Hóngwèibīng
    Fair enough.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Arcane

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico
    And suddenly the genius: a new guy on the official forum that after 30 pages of back and forth on why the chain system is garbage offers us the inspiring breakthrough:

"Guys, it's not that bad! I noticed that you can drag portraits to separate characters! Wouldn't this solve all your issues with this system?"

No, it would fucking not. Am I being trolled or what?

• Funny Funny x 5
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • feels good man feels good man x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. mediocrepoet First disciple of Mediocrites Patron

mediocrepoet
    Codex 2012 MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I mean... you understand that if you do that, they are no longer chained, right? :smug:

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. fantadomat Arcane Edgy Wumao

fantadomat
    Is that shit out already?

• Yes Yes x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Larianshill Scholar

Larianshill
    Year 2022 is a very charitable estimate. Personally, I'm not in a rush. As Cyberpunk has shown, games benefit greatly from being in the oven a little bit longer.

• incline incline x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Arthandas Arbiter

Arthandas
    Then patches, dlc and expansions through 2023 and finally a definitive edition in 2024...

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Math! Math! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    most of the content is already done, unless something unforeseen happens it will release in 2022.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • No No x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Math! Math! x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1086940/view/2956037417552719318

• Excited! Excited! x 2
    • STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Larianshill Scholar

Larianshill
    Didn't Swen say that the endgame is not even written yet a few months ago?

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Black Arcane

Black
    From the looks of it the early game is barely written too since they already had to re-write Minthara and still the purpose of raiding the druid grove is dumb as hell. "Absolute demands it". Whoa.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Arcane

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico
    I don't remember any specific quote about that, but I do remember him saying in June that they are "TRYING to get it done by 2022".
    Which sounds like a polite way to say "It's a fucking miracle if this whole thing doesn't slip to a 2023 release".

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. sorinmask Just like Yves, I chase tales. Patron

sorinmask
    Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Can I just say that I'm perfectly fine with this? I mean, if he does decide to make the best RPG that he can, he might as well take all the time that can take. I just hope that he doesn't run out of funds.

And I am 100% earnest on this. I hope the game doesn't abruptly end, and the reason is the lack of funds.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Arcane

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico
    Preaching to the choir, really. I said the same thing countless times.
    I'm absolutely not worried about when the game will release, if anything I prefer to focus my concerns on what they will release exactly.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. mediocrepoet First disciple of Mediocrites Patron

mediocrepoet
    Codex 2012 MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Well, if nothing else, it's going to be expensive and ambitious. I mean, it's already that.

I just hate that no matter how many times I get burned by my optimism, I can't help but feel hopeful that it'll turn out to be awesome, even if not perfect.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Drakortha Arbiter

Drakortha
    So.. about those Day & Night cycles..

• Funny x 11
    • Despair x 2
    • How about this as a button x 1
    • feels good man x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • It's a matter of time x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. AwesomeButton Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    From Swen's last report I think they are repeating the fate of Cyberpunk - too much money at hand, dev team is bloated, and they are making very expensive experiments with redesigning/rewriting content, because they can afford it, "after all we're making Baldur's Gate III".

• incline incline x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit Nuke it from orbit x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Ontopoly Hater of Larian

Unwanted
    Doesn't matter how much money a game makes, it matters how much profit it makes. I've given up hope of the game never making it to release and am now hoping that they incompetently spent so much money that the game fails from a business perspective as well as a passion perspective. Degenerates will buy anything but surely there aren't enough degens to make up for the motion cap sex scene budget this game has. swen is going to really regret his 'modernization' of the series with things like full voice acting, high budget sex scenes, 3d, and a character face creator that can build all sorts of clown characters.

• butthurt x 4
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Arcane

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico
    I'm honestly not sure of what goes on some people's mind, at times.

You make a post to highlight how unnecessarily stupid it is the way the game traces projectiles for bows and crossbows (and how it feels like throwing paper planes against the wind, example in the following picture)...

[​IMG]

...and the first reply you get is someone who immediately attempts to make excuses for the studio, "Maybe they do it to avoid hitting obstacles between you and the target, it could be annoying for the player" "Maybe it's an engine limitation" (??), etc, etc.

Ok.
    1- Why the fuck you should get a chance to hit the target if you don't have a proper line of sight.
    2- Are you Larian's public attorney? Why are you even defending it with fringe hypotheticals?
    3- Do you actually like the way it is or not? If yes, the fuck is wrong with you? If not, back to point 2.

• Salute x 3
    • Brofist x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. SoupNazi rial billionaire Patron

SoupNazi
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands
    It's especially weird because they had this sorted out in DOS2. Hopefully they'll fix it. Have you reported it via the bug tracker / feedback, or are you just one of those cunts who like to complain about shit to show their clout but aren't willing to help by pointing something out, even if it seems obvious?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Arcane

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico
    I did use the report form.
    Also started a thread on the official forum and posted the same complaint on their Discord.
    I made it shorter and simpler here, but frankly the same complaint was part of a report I already made months ago, too.

Long story short: I got you covered, so you can go back to sleep soundly and not let all this overwhelming amount of worries turn you into a gratuitous prick.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Ontopoly Hater of Larian

Unwanted
    Cultists will defend a game way harder than any paid pr person.

A pr person would give you some generic answer about how they're still working through things and listening to player feedback And how they'll look into it and maybe mention artistic vision.

A cultist will defend something forever claiming that it's actually better that way or that it's unnecessary and will actually convince themselves that they actually like it that way( until the developers change it, then the developers are amazing for listening to player feedback and caring about the community)

You can't win with cultists, especially larian cultists. They can't think for themselves, queue Swen linking a screen shot of review scores again.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Larianshill Scholar

Larianshill
    I understand the chain, but why are you upset by such a tiny and insignificant thing?

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Arcane

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico
    I'm not sure how this is even an actual question.

I'm not particularly "upset" by it, I simply made a thread to point that it's a stupid and unnecessary details that involves several minor problems:
    - it's not how bows and crossbows work in reality, to begin with.
    - it's not how bows and crossbows are supposed to work in D&D either (it's meant to be a straight line for the projectile).
    - even putting realism aside, it looks stupid and it doesn't bring mechanical advantages to justify its existence as a feature.
    - it takes away from the feedback of strength behind the shot, making these projectiles look weaker than they should be....
    - ...and consequently it's actively detrimental to the appeal of playing a ranged class (archer, marksman, sharpshooter, call it what you want).

How are you supposed to enjoy the role of the party's sniper when instead of shooting fast and deadly arrows/bolts you throw the equivalent of rubber darts making funny squeaky noises?

That aside, my comment here wasn't even about how much I care about this specific point. More than anything I'm baffled at seeing people who seem constantly in a rush to come up with a convenient excuse for something objectively bad when pointed to them, rather than conceding "Yeah, it's bad and unnecessary and it should probably be changed". Especially given we aren't even exactly talking about some radical change of direction that would involve an extensive system rework.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Fedora Master Arcane Patron Edgy

Fedora Master
    :lol:

^ Top  
  25. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    ...?
    the game isn't tile-based, you can manually aim to get around obstacles, the line tracing helps with this.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.