Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Salvo

Arcane
Surfaces aside every time I watch Swen Vincke playing his own titles I can't help but being annoyed about how gleefully he does whatever in his power to leverage exploits, cheese their own broken mechanics to the best of his capabilities, etc, etc.
It's not an exception in his playstyle, it's what he constantly focuses on, to the point that even a lot of users on their forums are starting to call him out.

For example the fact that the keeps leveraging the trick of keeping party members out of combat in stealth and then use them to break the initiative queue at convenience.
A serious developer would say "Well, this is silly, we need to do something to limit this" (and it wouldn't even take much work to address it, frankly). Conversely Swen Vincke boasts about it; he giggles while showing his own broken mess on an official streaming and puffing his chest.
Not sure why you think this is something negative. If anything this proves Swen is a true gamer at heart.
*dips bow in fire*

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Surfaces aside every time I watch Swen Vincke playing his own titles I can't help but being annoyed about how gleefully he does whatever in his power to leverage exploits, cheese their own broken mechanics to the best of his capabilities, etc, etc.
For example the fact that the keeps leveraging the trick of keeping party members out of combat in stealth and then use them to break the initiative queue at convenience.
Swen is antithesis of Sawyer.

Z7HeRxU.png

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Breaking mechanics is fun when you actually have to think about how to use them to your advantage, not when the system is designed explicitly to be used in a retarded way by the multiplayer crowd.

Thonius

Arcane
If the system is designed to be abused.... how does it make you feel? Smart? Or like sheeple?
" OH PLEASE DO NOT STACK SURFACES *wink wink* that won't be fair *wink wink " - Player stacks surfaces and uses barrels - " NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOW???? WHO TOLD YOU ABOUT MY WEAKNESS?!?!? I'm Doomed! You're so smart and brave and played the system... no I'm ded... here's your archivo and colored loot" :roll:
It's not exactly puzzle-like complex gameplay if every fart makes a surface effect that is EZ abused. At least it should be limited to spells that make sense like acid fog creating small acid puddles, grease etc.
Also, about barrels. Why on earth they are scattered around the world. What's their use? I mean fine if it's port location or alchemist lab fine. But random cave? Not even mine, just a cave with explosives lying around ( that never used in the world). Where's gunslinger class then? Or alchemist class? In a world with magic, why would anyone bother with stacking explosives everywhere if a wizard can just fart out fireballs?

Last edited:

Larianshill

Arbiter
I think they added an option to stake Astarion through the heart and kill him, when he attempts to drink your blood in the night. I don't remember it being before. Thanks, Swen, you really do listen. Now, I just want a dialogue option for killing him for attacking you upon meeting.

CodexTotalWar

Learned
Pretty sure you can kill them all.

Some have scripted story deaths (IIRC you can sell Astarion out to a vampire hunter, and apparently you can stake him now), but you can just shank most of them when you first meet them.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Can you kill all the companions you want
You can kill them all now, in various story scenes. You can also ctrl+click and kill them manually before even talking to them - same as all other NPCs, but the game barely recognizes that it happened. You can then revive them with scrolls of revify and recruit them.
Staking Astarion is different, because it's a permadeath.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
All I want to know is if there will be another Codex vs RPG Watch multiplayer death match shortly before BG3 release date.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Can you kill all the companions you want or just tell em to fuck off?

unlike pathfinder, you can kill them on the spot you first encounter them. Not to mention dozens of different cinematics through out the game if you decide to change your mind and kill them any time.

I bought this at launch but I've been completely out of the loop with updates. If I start a new save file now, will it carry over into the full release or will I have to start from scratch?

Ulfhednar

Savant
You people aren't exactly learning animals are you.
How dare you sir!

This thread is a sacred safe space where no Owlcuck may tread.

We are sworn to never play the sequel to some quite old games which had the infamous girdle of gender-bendering (unless of course that sequel is only a marketing gimmick because we really, really wanted a sequel to some other, wholly unrelated game).

We shall have elemental surfaces and barrels! Lots and lots of barrels!

Good day!

BruceVC

Magister
Larian: <acts in a retarded and childish manner for the n-th time>
Codex: :despair:

I dont know, I have found Larian to be honest, committed, informative and sincere about the updates about BG3 and delays and issues ....they even dress up in questionable cosplay outfits? That takes dedication towards the vision of the game and I can only admire that :salute:

jackofshadows

Magister
Larian: <acts in a retarded and childish manner for the n-th time>
Codex: :despair:

I just want to play a decent non-retarded RPG man is that so much to ask :negative:
Seek less mainstream game? It's like expecting something profound and complex from Bethesda. Watching army of Codex' DnD fans lamenting about this or that regarding BG3 is fun though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom