Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Mud'

Scholar
What the fuck is going on in this thread

. I grew up thinking people romancing each other at tabletop games was like a Hollywood stereotype joke view of P&P. The thought of two of the nerds at my table romancing each other is enough to creep a brother out

clint-eastwood-gran-torino.gif

After getting my feet wet with friends playing as a DM for a year, i decided to host a table for a local group that kept asking for a DM, a bunch of guys and a girl.
Long story short, one guy played a female and other a male, both started flirting with each other "RPing", it was fucking akward as you can imagine and then they ended up fucking while the main group was interrogating some guy in the Inn basement.

Fast foward 2 weeks in and they were gay closet type of guys and ended up fucking for real, that shit was just damn wild.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
What the fuck is going on in this thread

. I grew up thinking people romancing each other at tabletop games was like a Hollywood stereotype joke view of P&P. The thought of two of the nerds at my table romancing each other is enough to creep a brother out

clint-eastwood-gran-torino.gif

After getting my feet wet with friends playing as a DM for a year, i decided to host a table for a local group that kept asking for a DM, a bunch of guys and a girl.
Long story short, one guy played a female and other a male, both started flirting with each other "RPing", it was fucking akward as you can imagine and then they ended up fucking while the main group was interrogating some guy in the Inn basement.

I guess these people are the reason that romances are so prevalent in cRPGs :timetoburn:

weeaboo

Last edited:
What a stupid debate. Bearded female dwarves are not an SJW thing. They've been around since at least tolkien. In Everquest, back in 99, you could give female dwarf characters beards (I know because my female cleric was a bearded dwarf).

But that lore also comes with the idea that dwarven men tend to go after non dwarf women, because they think the bearded women are ugly. That's the real tell that it's not SJW shit.

Is BG3 out yet? Is it still barrelmancy?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I just realized that half-giants in the Dark Sun campaign setting are trans-alignment:

"Half-giants can switch their attitudes very quickly, taking on new values to fit new situations. A half-giant whose peaceful farming life is disrupted by marauders may soon adopt the morals of the very renegades who sacked his village. To reflect this, one aspect of a half-giant's alignment must be fixed, and chosen during character creation. The other half must be chosen when they awaken each morning. They are only bound to that alignment until they sleep again. (See Chapter 4, Alignment). For example, a half-giant may have a fixed "lawful" alignment. Every morning, he must choose to be lawful good, lawful neutral, or lawful evil."
- From the campaign setting book :M

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Don't bearded dwarf women go back to Tolkien? I doubt he had an SJW agenda.

It was a joke at expense of the dwarves made by a confirmed elf-wanker.
Regardless if the intention was to lighten the mood a bit or anything else, the joke made roots in the agenda-minded people's fertile brains, as it allows them to shove foot in the door.

What do you think was one of the panels on that recent "Tolkien is gay" convention or how it was called.
Yeah, it was about how bearded dwarven ladies is a sign that Talking was a pro-transgender activist.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

It was a joke at expense of the dwarves made by a confirmed elf-wanker.
Regardless if the intention was to lighten the mood a bit or anything else, the joke made roots in the agenda-minded people's fertile brains, as it allows them to shove foot in the door.

What do you think was one of the panels on that recent "Tolkien is gay" convention or how it was called.
Yeah, it was about how bearded dwarven ladies is a sign that Talking was a pro-transgender activist.

Unfortunately the activists look for the slightest thing to make an author "one of them".

In Tolkien's case it's extra insulting considering his extremely conservative views on religion.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

You know, there are many ways to read different works of literature, but that's definitely one of the stupider ones. May their brain worms be terminal.

Divine Blessing

Scholar
homophobia symptomatically is an indicator for repressed (homo)sexuality...

but female dwarves with beards rlly pose a challenge to my (sophisticated) interpretation of gender aesthetics. a genius provocation with the intent to ask: do biological features matter more than a persons character? tbh, personally for intimacies both r required.

Camel

Scholar

but female dwarves with beards rlly pose a challenge to my (sophisticated) interpretation of gender aesthetics. a genius provocation with the intent to ask: do biological features matter more than a persons character? tbh, personally for intimacies both r required.
And the Nazis were repressed Jews.

ㅤㅤㅤ

Learned

And the Nazis were repressed Jews.
Jews are also secretly nazis.

Yeah, he never talked about it in the books but in some appendix he wrote some stuff about it.

From memory the gist of it went something like "the ridiculous superstition that dwarves are all male and they are born from the stone comes from the fact that female dwarves are comparatively rare - 3:1 ratio - rarely leave their homes and they are hard to differentiate from males from a commoner's perspective since they have (shorter) beards".

As a sidenote, it's worth pointing that Tolkien occasionally wrote down ideas in his notes and letters that were subsequently discontinued, so they are not gospel.

It's also possible that the above pseudo-quote may be mixing memories that come both from Tolkien writings and from the MERP roleplay material I read 20 years ago. Memories are getting a bit blurry after a while.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Look i don't give a shit about the lore i don't want bearded females in muh games lmao.

Tolkien makes a reference that female dwarves are so alike the males that one wouldn't be able to tell which is what and some dirty hippie puts that in the D&D lore not realizing that what sounds cool on paper is not so cool when you actually get to see it.

And while the lore is as old as D&D itself (the suggestion coming from Tolkien to boot), making bearded female Dwarves today would probably be due to SJWing rather than any respect of the lore, taking the first opportunity to break "gender norms" and if the lore supports it (or seems to anyway) all the better.

I mean, to wit, if one really wanted to "respect" the lore there shouldn't actually be any female Dwarves available for the player to begin with since female Dwarves aren't supposed to leave Dwarven enclaves. That's also the "lore" too, see how much anybody is going to respect that though.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I mean, to wit, if one really wanted to "respect" the lore there shouldn't actually be any female Dwarves available for the player to begin with since female Dwarves aren't supposed to leave Dwarven enclaves. That's also the "lore" too, see how much anybody is going to respect that though.
Drow are allowed to be played as main character as well despite their very rare presence lore-wise. Although they stay somewhat true to lore being black and nasty. What I am trying to say is nobody respects rareness of something nowadays, yet the overall lore is harder to change for the sake of one’s agenda. Hence this argument is flawed.

Look i don't give a shit about the lore i don't want bearded females in muh games lmao.

Tolkien makes a reference that female dwarves are so alike the males that one wouldn't be able to tell which is what and some dirty hippie puts that in the D&D lore not realizing that what sounds cool on paper is not so cool when you actually get to see it.

And while the lore is as old as D&D itself (the suggestion coming from Tolkien to boot), making bearded female Dwarves today would probably be due to SJWing rather than any respect of the lore, taking the first opportunity to break "gender norms" and if the lore supports it (or seems to anyway) all the better.

Well, I'm not sure why are you even ranting like a lunatic about it, given that D&D dwarves aren't supposed to be the Tolkien ones, to begin with.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom