Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Larianshill

Arbiter
I swear to Jesus, Swen, if this is not the patch that introduces the proper reaction system...

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
I simply don't know where are they going with this. Game is overbloated and it could be already made if they haven't overscaled it.
Look at he V rising https://steamcharts.com/app/1604030 . Game is action rpg with great combat, still in EA but has 150,645 players. Looks as good as BG3 but only requires 7GB of drive space. I don't know where is Larian going with this.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Nothing great ever came out of rushing things. You ever read trivia about games like New Vegas, where they've had to cut all the optional Legion content, and think to yourself "Damn, I wish they had more time"? I do, all the time.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, I never said I'm not in favour of them releasing a finished/competent RPG/product. Especially when it comes to bugs. If anything the past 5 years have shown us that not just RPG players, but gamers in general, are over this "release now, fix later" pseudo-meta.

I was just saying that maybe it's better to release the kraken a bit later in the production time-line. Maybe just 2 years before release, instead of 3.
Making it perfectly clear: I am not shit-talking Swen. God bless 'im and his 5 fucking studios, working - literally - around the clock so we can have something to bitch about... that's not something I'm against.

Codex Year of the Donut
God bless 'im and his 5 fucking studios
they lost their #2 studio when russia invaded ukraine and they had no way to pay their russian employees

other non-ghent studios were peanuts compared to st. petersburg branch afaik, which lines up with the DOS2 credits having a very high % of russian names after checking it

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I simply don't know where are they going with this. Game is overbloated and it could be already made if they haven't overscaled it.
... I don't know where is Larian going with this.
I've been wondering if they're trying to lay the ground work for a fully realized 5E games system to lock up future development contracts with WotC and basically make a new era of Gold Box / Infinity Engine style games.

A man can dream...

allt4.jpg

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
... I don't know where is Larian going with this.
I've been wondering if they're trying to lay the ground work for a fully realized 5E games system to lock up future development contracts with WotC and basically make a new era of Gold Box / Infinity Engine style games.

A man can dream...

allt4.jpg
That would be weird, considering 5E is supposed to be at the end of its lifespan and wotc doesn't really want people to use "deprecated" editions. But the upcoming edition should just be an updated version of the current one, so anything's possible.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Look at he V rising https://steamcharts.com/app/1604030 . Game is action rpg with great combat, still in EA but has 150,645 players. Looks as good as BG3 but only requires 7GB of drive space. I don't know where is Larian going with this.
FotM games have always existed, the only difference is just they grow bigger every year due to exposure to the masses through word of mouth on platforms like Twitch or Discord
Given Stunlock Studios's track record they're also likely to end up killing the game by themselves by randomly deciding to stop supporting it or continue development. :negative:

That being said I still feel like Larian might've bit off more than they realistically could chew when they decided to go with full voice acting and cutscenes (with the same janky animations and contorted facial expressions)
Having good presentation in your game can get you far, but at the same time it's an absolutely massive black hole that swallows so much time and budget I still don't understand how they can justify dedicating time and resources to it. I suppose it ultimately doesn't matter since as it's enough to lure someone in and get them to buy the game and play for a couple of hours.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1086940/view/3347878489012780711
Pre-Patch Announcement - Patch 8 Incoming!
7660333eda1f90a3a8120ef2b3e144c50efd8e34.png

Hello there, everyone! We hope you’re all good, wherever you are.

We’ve been hard at work since our last major update, and Patch 8 is almost ready for primetime. We’re putting the finishing touches on it right now, and preparing a Panel from Hell to give it a full unveiling.

On to our feature presentation: Patch 8 is drawing near, and it’s going to be roughly 40GB (so make sure you have space free!), bringing the total install size for Baldur’s Gate 3 to approximately 104GB. As with our previous patches, and saves made on Patch 7 or prior will no longer be compatible when updated.

In addition, we’ll be using Patch 8 as the opportunity for a little bit of digital house-cleaning. Once it goes live, we’ll be removing the ability to download all but the 2 most recent Patches. In this case, Patches 6 and 7 will remain available for download, but we encourage all players to update to the most recent version of the game in order to get the latest fixes and content updates.

With that bit of housekeeping out of the way, let’s talk branching. We’ve got options if you want to continue saves from earlier patches, or if you want to make sure you’re staying current. Check out the below instructions for whichever method suits you best.

1. How to Update Your Game to Patch 8: If you want to play the most up to date version of the game and have never opted into any beta branches in the past, then good news: You don’t need to do anything! When the patch releases, you will receive the most updated version of the game as long as you have automatic updates enabled. To enable automatic updates, please follow the steps below:

• Right click on the game in your Steam library
  • Select properties
  • Click the Updates tab
  • Select "Always keep this game updated" in the drop down menu

9435b461fc23ca470977d99c0571252ede2ef2ea.gif

2. How to Update to Patch 8 If You’ve Opted into an Earlier Beta Branch: If you previously opted into any beta for Patch 6 or earlier and want to ensure you get the most up to date content when Patch 8 goes live, then please follow the steps below:

• Select properties
  • Click the Betas tab
  • Select "None" in the drop down menu

7c3bbc4c0f32f2b1334f8bfbb7a57f3e021f1f2f.gif

3. How to Continue Your Patch 7 Save: If you want to continue your progress from Patch 7, then take the following steps. Save files are not ‘deleted’ from your computer; they’ll remain in your folder, but you’ll only be able to load saves specific to their respective versions.

• Select properties
  • Click the BETAS tab
  • In the list under "Select the beta you would like to opt in to", select Patch 7
  • Close the properties menu

51bdc71dfaefb3f632bbf90c4f48ef8a32e41017.gif

If you’d like to continue your save file on the current version, you can move to the Patch 7 beta branch now.

Important Note: If you want the option to go back to a previous patch, it’s best to make a new in-game profile and backup your local saves from the previous patch. You can do the following before or after you update to the latest version:

• Before starting a new playthrough, create a new profile by clicking the profiles button on the top left of the main menu. All your progress in the new patch will then be saved under this profile while your old saves are safe in the previous profile.
  • As an extra safety measure, you can manually back up your savegames:
  • Go to /Documents/Larian Studios/Baldur's Gate 3/PlayerProfiles/
  • Find the folder that is named after the profile you used in the previous patch
  • Copy and paste this entire folder into a backup location
  • If you want to revert back to the previous patch, follow the instructions above and activate your old profile
  • If you have somehow lost your progress by overwriting savegames and want to restore your old backed up savegames simply copy over your old profile folder into its original location again: /Documents/Larian Studios/Baldur's Gate 3/PlayerProfiles/
  • Sync back to the patch6 beta branch with the instructions above and load your old savegames

A Note On Mods: If you have any mods installed, or were using any in previous versions of Baldur’s Gate 3, please remove them before updating your game. You can do this by checking both the ‘Mods’ and ‘Public’ folders in '..\SteamApps\common\Baldurs Gate 3\Data' - if either of those folders are present, please delete them before updating. If applicable, please also delete the file ‘modsettings.lsx’ in the profile folder. Further information about mods can be found at https://larian.com/support/faqs/mod-information_77

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom