Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
What I've seen of the game through streams is really promising tbh. Too bad about the companions not being on par with BG2's cast though.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
8d4231a4bcd98a8a90a188266ec94000.gif

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
You people have no idea what "your companions aren't your cheerleaders" mean until you've played Spellforce 3.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

What I've seen of the game through streams is really promising tbh. Too bad about the companions not being on par with BG2's cast though.
I don’t know if they aren’t on par, they’re just fewer likable ones.

How many great BG2 companions were there? Edwin, Viconia, Jaheira, Keldorn...and? Imoen and Cernd are boring, Aerie is an idiot, Minsc is a meme, Yoshimo can’t really be called a companion without mods, Anomen is about on par with these BG3 companions, as are Herdeleis, and maybe the evil dwarf whose name I don’t remember.

That said, it’s more on par with Dragon Age: Origins in terms of companions. There’s going to be one or two you like and you’ll hate the rest. As apposed to 3 or 4 you liked in BG, which is more, but let’s take off our rose-colored glasses here.

Dodo1610

Arcane
After 10h I feel liike I am finished with the current version and will wait for the next big patch as well. The BG3 currently has two things that make it really stand out : the reactivity in all my years of playing RPGs I have never played a game where my race and class really impact dialogue this much + non-combat magic. I really wonder how anyone can play this for more than that since almost everything currently is unfinished/bugged and the rest is missing. Why it currently has 83% positive rating on steam is a mystery to me.

About companions: Larian stated that during the pannel in hell that EA currently only has evil + neutral companions because they want to force people to use them. Since we already have 3 distinct evil option (SH,Astarion and Lae'zel) I assume we get the same number of good companions which means the game will have about 8 in total.

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
How many great BG2 companions were there? Edwin, Viconia, Jaheira, Keldorn...and? Imoen and Cernd are boring, Aerie is an idiot, Minsc is a meme, Yoshimo can’t really be called a companion without mods, Anomen is about on par with these BG3 companions, as are Herdeleis, and maybe the evil dwarf whose name I don’t remember.
MAZZY FENTAN

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
I don’t know if they aren’t on par, they’re just fewer likable ones.

That said, it’s more on par with Dragon Age: Origins in terms of companions. There’s going to be one or two you like and you’ll hate the rest. As apposed to 3 or 4 you liked in BG, which is more, but let’s take off our rose-colored glasses here.
Mazzy and Valygar had a great squire/knight relationship. Anomen is A-tier in terms of character development, and his interactions with several members are very good and reflect his evolution very well. Aerie also had great banters.
The only weak ones are the druid and Nalia. Minsc, Viconia and Haer'Dalis are ok.

MAZZY FENTAN
Lol, I left her to rot in the shadowfiend’s prison.

Death to all annoying midgets. :M

Terenty

Liturgist
Played a couple of hours. I can't believe i'm saying that, but credit where it's due - the graphics, scale of everything(the size of everything relative to a character), attention to detail and general atmosphere is great.It's on completely another level compared to Divinity and i dare say even worthy of Baldur's Gate name. The UI and all the menu art is garbage though.

Hard to tell about the writing and characters, but nothing outrageously stupid has happened so far.

Although I doubt they will be able to keep this level of quality throughout the whole campaign.

Anomen is A-tier in terms of character development, and his interactions with several members are very good and reflect his evolution very well.
I agree.
Aerie also had great banters.
Lol no.
The only weak ones are the druid and Nalia. Minsc, Viconia and Haer'Dalis are ok.
Viconia is the only nigger I would want to racemix with, so I can’t agree with you here either. :M

(I was radicalized by Larian Studios.)

But seriously, her backstory and arc are fleshed out and her interactions in the drow city make her a worthy member of any party. You really get the sense for what a bunch of cruel freaks the drow are the more you speak to her.

She was a near perfect example of an evil-aligned companion in that she was a refutation of the concept that evil-aligned characters are always the villain from the moment you meet her.

Gargaune

Magister
How many great BG2 companions were there? Edwin, Viconia, Jaheira, Keldorn...and? Imoen and Cernd are boring, Aerie is an idiot, Minsc is a meme, Yoshimo can’t really be called a companion without mods, Anomen is about on par with these BG3 companions, as are Herdeleis, and maybe the evil dwarf whose name I don’t remember. who was the best companion in the game if ye know what be good for ye!
Korgan_Bloodaxe_NKORGAN_Portrait_BG2.png

Codex Year of the Donut
She was a near perfect example of an evil-aligned companion in that she was a refutation of the concept that evil-aligned characters are always the villain from the moment you meet her.
You meet her while she's being arrested for murdering an entire family and yelling she dindu nuffin

Vatnik Wumao
Nalia, of course.
eLfSQnN.jpg

Now go play the de'Arnise romance mod.

You meet her while she's being arrested for murdering an entire family and yelling she dindu nuffin
She needed money fo dem programs.

And actually, was it ever established that she murdered anyone let alone a family? I know she killed that guy and his brother after he raped her and left her for dead or whatever but I thought that was later.

jackofshadows

Magister
That's cool and all but no one is bothered by the fact that it's a MIDDLE OF FUCKING NOWHERE?! Where all accompaniment is coming from? Or it's some weird ass tiefling magic?
...She's a bard.
1st level bard has access to minor illusion
https://www.dndbeyond.com/spells/minor-illusion
You create a sound or an image of an object within range that lasts for the duration. The illusion also ends if you dismiss it as an action or cast this spell again.

If you create a sound, its volume can range from a whisper to a scream. It can be your voice, someone else's voice, a lion's roar, a beating of drums, or any other sound you choose. The sound continues unabated throughout the duration, or you can make discrete sounds at different times before the spell ends.
Hm. Yeah, you're right. Still, cringe. And the party just stands there like a bunch of morons.

Yes, Lambchop19 I"m aware that DA:O did that as well (wish to unseen that) and TW3. While in TW3 the scene was decent I don't think it deserves a place in the main branch, let alone fucking subsequent stage play. It would've been great as some side diversion though. But obviously with such effort they shoved it in the middle because it's soo unique and memorable, everyone should see it. *Sigh*

So here we have another pretentious scene for scene's sake and I say - fuck this. I want more meaningful interactions, fewer bullshit movie-like cut-scenes. At least now I know what to do with the bard if the devs granted a proper option to skip this.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Something just came up to me... if the game starts near Elturiel, and we're heading towards Baldur's Gate... doesn't that mean we'll be literally crossing the bridge where Bhaal died?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom