Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Mortmal

Arcane
Yeah, it'll be done in just under 4 hrs. it was mostly to see what it played like and how it ran... But after seeing that seriously queer song video up top I dunno if I can be arsed clearing space on an SSD. Are those your party members? are they all faggot?
Just forget about liking any of the party members. I like the half elf in spite of the fact that she’s a massive bitch, but that’s just because I find her amusing.

The gith is a cunt, but I’m curious about her people, so I tolerate her.

There’s some nigger warlock who keeps bragging that he’s The Sword of Something (I forget) and a wizard who is apparently some kind of arrogant special snowflake.

Then there’s the vampire who tries to kill you the moment you meet. And I feel like he’s basically Milo Yianopolis incarnated in a fantasy setting.

Or there’s the tiefling who asks you to murder a bunch of people when you first meet because they’re totally the bad guys.

So yeah, the entire game is filled with lunatics, but thankfully all are optional.

The story is ok and the combat is pretty decent, so I would recommend it if you’ve only got 4 hours left on yo ur download anyway.
Edgelord characters, and the npcs you meet are cunts and lunatics , most faithful tabletop conversion i ever played , really mimic the true experience to perfection.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Tried Nalia once and it weirded me out how similar her voice is to Viconia's. Sometimes when I click on her and she asks "how can I help" I have to double check I didn't click on Viccy (even though that's something she would never say).

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
How many great BG2 companions were there? Edwin, Viconia, Jaheira, Keldorn...and? Imoen and Cernd are boring, Aerie is an idiot, Minsc is a meme, Yoshimo can’t really be called a companion without mods, Anomen is about on par with these BG3 companions, as are Herdeleis, and maybe the evil dwarf whose name I don’t remember.
MAZZY FENTAN
Why does Deionarra sound like Mazzy?

Also: "Your Grace, I am Mazzy Fentan..." ***10 scenes later*** Korgan: "Dat halfling lass could play with muh axe, if you know what I mean."

Gargaune

Magister
Something just came up to me... if the game starts near Elturiel, and we're heading towards Baldur's Gate... doesn't that mean we'll be literally crossing the bridge where Bhaal died?
I'm not aware, does the Cthulhu Cruiser crash near Elturel? Either way, not necessarily - if you're sticking to the main roads you'd indeed have to go a long way around and over Boareskyr Bridge, but the much quicker path to Baldur's Gate would be to follow the Chionthar through the Fields of the Dead. The old 3E map does have a path running that way.

Codex Year of the Donut

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Lol at the latest Steam update:

Before the fixes, let’s share something you’ve created yourselves (this is your own fault) through your choices in character creation. We took the most popular choices in character creation, and recreated this. We thought our analytics system wasn’t working! We checked. It is.

fOsSFJa.png

Congratulations, you’ve basically made the default Vault Dweller. What the hell guys. We gave you demon eyes, horns, and even tails. We are sorely disappointed. Go crazy. We worked hard on this!

FYI, Swen, this is your target audience - a white male.

Tbh, I usually play a normie male the first playthrough and then get creative on the replay.

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
You have sneak attack but it works only if the enemy is disadvantaged or something,and only once lol.
As I recall 5E P&P rules, the Rogue can apply Sneak Attack to the first attack on an enemy they have Advantage against. You can get Advantage from a variety of circumstances, most common being attacking from Stealth or enemy being engaged with someone else in melee. I assume high ground would count too. I actually felt like the rules were too generous with Advantage from Stealth, so I nerfed it a bit by stating that you got it from the enemy being unaware of you, otherwise it leads to some silly gameplay where the Rogue keeps ducking behind the same damned barrel screaming "cunning action hide, cunning action hide!"
Nah stealth doesn't count as advantage,got really butthurt because of that. Also i don't think that high grounds matter. Anyway it is garbage system compared to 3.5 or pathfinder.

Well, for what it's worth, the PHB states that:
When a creature can't see you, you have advantage on attack rolls against it. If you are hidden - both unseen and unheard - when you make attack, you give away your location when the attack hits or misses.

And as for Sneak Attack:
Beginning at 1st level, you know how to strike subtly and exploit a foe’s distraction. Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon. You don’t need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn’t incapacitated, and you don’t have disadvantage on the attack roll.

Now, whether Larian haven't gotten around to implementing it yet or have chosen to rebalance the feature, I don't know.

It's certainly implemented and would work if you have an advantage. Being successfully hidden even if you are not obscured would grant you an advantage. Here are some screenshots.

Normal backstab:

yuLiiGK.jpg

While successfully hidden it will say "Advantage on attack":

IiFk4Ai.jpg

But there seems to be an issue when trying to perform a sneak attack on an enemy that's engaged with an ally, I think I was able to make it work on tutorial level but not sure why it's not working now.

Jezal_k23

I think the funniest thing about this is them proving through their own analytics that elaborate character creation is mostly a gigantic waste of time and budget.

I think the funniest thing about this is them proving through their own analytics that elaborate character creation is mostly a gigantic waste of time and budget.
Even on my first playthrough, I want it so I can generate other party members or mercenaries even if I have to do so using multiplayer.

Codex Year of the Donut
Lol at the latest Steam update:

FYI, Swen, this is your target audience - a white male.

Are they really surprised the most played characters are normie males? Shepard was 70+% the default soldier.
D&D, as it was designed, is centered on humans.
Gygax stated that his intention was for players to choose a human character and designed it as such because people want to identify with their character to some extent. It's in one of the earlier dragon magazine articles he wrote.
Gygax proven right ~40 years later :M

Gygax stated that his intention was for players to choose a human character and designed it as such because people want to identify with their character to some extent. It's in one of the earlier dragon magazine articles he wrote.
As he has been on most issues.

Zed Duke of Banville keeps posting his old articles on alignments in the alignment thread and they're spot on.

A shame it's missing from this game, though it was clearly used when writing the characters.

Robber Baron

Savant
16 hours in, want to stop playing, but the gameplay is just that good. Honestly nothing to add to what's already said - shit's solid, like really solid. Will they be able to back it up with quality and variety of content? So far the assets are just DoS2 variations. But I want cool fantasy stuff. Crazy locations and monsters, grand fantasy vistas. Give me it Swen. Give me it godamit

16 hours in, want to stop playing, but the gameplay is just that good. Honestly nothing to add to what's already said - shit's solid, like really solid. Will they be able to back it up with quality and variety of content? So far the assets are just DoS2 variations. But I want cool fantasy stuff. Crazy locations and monsters, grand fantasy vistas. Give me it Swen. Give me it godamit
Starting you off in Avernus might have raised your expectations too quickly.

I mean, you already get to crawl through a massive cavern under the earth, see an ancient druid grove and explore a forgotten temple.

Codex Year of the Donut

Zed Duke of Banville keeps posting his old articles on alignments in the alignment thread and they're spot on.

A shame it's missing from this game, though it was clearly used when writing the characters.
Alignment is meant to be hidden and not announced, so in a roundabout way it's working more correctly than most other D&D cRPG adaptations.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
No, it's not. But it's a crutch that can only hinder after a while. Case and point DOS 2. Math and heat maps cannot compensate for the human factor.
Like Stan Lee once said, you gotta know what makes people who they are.

Alignment is meant to be hidden and not announced, so in a roundabout way it's working more correctly than most other D&D cRPG adaptations.
Perhaps, but you can't even set your own alignment.

Shadenuat

Arcane
the reactivity in all my years of playing RPGs I have never played a game where my race and class really impact dialogue this much + non-combat magic.
Better than Arcanum?
credit where it's due, this looks like the most fun part of Divinity 3 to me now, judging by letsplays anyway.

there's one dude playing drow on utub and he can be a total edgelord in almost any dialogue, many key NPCs react to this. It looks like just flavour though (shouldn't drow have Advantage on dialogue rolls against a lot of creatures like goblins or something like that?), but they did put effort into this.
(seems like both Shadowheart and Gith like male drow responses, btw :M)

Codex Year of the Donut
Are they really surprised the most played characters are normie males? Shepard was 70+% the default soldier.
When I'm given a preset like Shepard I usually take it with zero alterations because I assume that's the way the developers intended to experience the game.
You can't even make anything that looks remotely near as good as default Shepard using the ingame character creator.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Anyone else feel like the boss encounters were designed to be cheesed unless you want to deal with the boss unit and 4+ weaker units simultaneously? At some point I figured there is no point initiating battle through dialogue, you most likely lose in the initiative on top of being in a clumped up position. Separating the party members and letting them join in by attacking through stealth usually means taking a huge chunk of damage from the boss and having casters be in a position where they can use disables without having their concentration broken within the next turn.

Black

Arcane
It's very sad that even after two decades, a small, buggy game remains the undisputed champion when it comes to combat/rolls log, combined with its encylopedia-like feature.
toee+skill+check+bonus+breakdown.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom