Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Studios - now available on Early Access

Discussion in 'Larian Studios' started by Infinitron, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    Edgelord characters, and the npcs you meet are cunts and lunatics , most faithful tabletop conversion i ever played , really mimic the true experience to perfection.

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Nano Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Nano
    Tried Nalia once and it weirded me out how similar her voice is to Viconia's. Sometimes when I click on her and she asks "how can I help" I have to double check I didn't click on Viccy (even though that's something she would never say).

• what? what? x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. sorinmask Just like Yves, I chase tales. Patron

sorinmask
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Why does Deionarra sound like Mazzy?

Also: "Your Grace, I am Mazzy Fentan..." ***10 scenes later*** Korgan: "Dat halfling lass could play with muh axe, if you know what I mean."

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Gargaune Scholar

Gargaune
    I'm not aware, does the Cthulhu Cruiser crash near Elturel? Either way, not necessarily - if you're sticking to the main roads you'd indeed have to go a long way around and over Boareskyr Bridge, but the much quicker path to Baldur's Gate would be to follow the Chionthar through the Fields of the Dead. The old 3E map does have a path running that way.

^ Top  
  5. You could do the same in BG2, it's just that Imoen would be languishing in prison while you did. :M

^ Top  
  6. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    I see you are a fan of the Imoen romance mod

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Lol at the latest Steam update:

FYI, Swen, this is your target audience - a white male.

• Funny x 6
    • Salute x 4
    • Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • nice x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Are they really surprised the most played characters are normie males? Shepard was 70+% the default soldier.

• Agree x 3
    • Racist x 2
    • incline x 1
    • decline x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Tbh, I usually play a normie male the first playthrough and then get creative on the replay.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. conan_edw Savant Patron

conan_edw
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Kingmaker

It's certainly implemented and would work if you have an advantage. Being successfully hidden even if you are not obscured would grant you an advantage. Here are some screenshots.

Normal backstab:

[​IMG]

While successfully hidden it will say "Advantage on attack":

[​IMG]

But there seems to be an issue when trying to perform a sneak attack on an enemy that's engaged with an ally, I think I was able to make it work on tutorial level but not sure why it's not working now.

• decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. taviow Magister

taviow
    I think the funniest thing about this is them proving through their own analytics that elaborate character creation is mostly a gigantic waste of time and budget.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 2
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Even on my first playthrough, I want it so I can generate other party members or mercenaries even if I have to do so using multiplayer.

^ Top  
  13. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    D&D, as it was designed, is centered on humans.
    Gygax stated that his intention was for players to choose a human character and designed it as such because people want to identify with their character to some extent. It's in one of the earlier dragon magazine articles he wrote.
    Gygax proven right ~40 years later :M

• Prestigious x 5
    • Brofist x 4
    • Agree x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. As he has been on most issues.

Zed Duke of Banville keeps posting his old articles on alignments in the alignment thread and they're spot on.

A shame it's missing from this game, though it was clearly used when writing the characters.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Robber Baron Learned

Robber Baron
    16 hours in, want to stop playing, but the gameplay is just that good. Honestly nothing to add to what's already said - shit's solid, like really solid. Will they be able to back it up with quality and variety of content? So far the assets are just DoS2 variations. But I want cool fantasy stuff. Crazy locations and monsters, grand fantasy vistas. Give me it Swen. Give me it godamit

• Brofist x 1
    • nice x 1
    • incline x 1
    • cuck x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Starting you off in Avernus might have raised your expectations too quickly.

I mean, you already get to crawl through a massive cavern under the earth, see an ancient druid grove and explore a forgotten temple.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Alignment is meant to be hidden and not announced, so in a roundabout way it's working more correctly than most other D&D cRPG adaptations.

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Ontopoly Magister

Ontopoly
    That's not even funny. Why did 10 people rate this funny? Lead him to swen himself, and tell him to stop by mike mearls afterward.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. sorinmask Just like Yves, I chase tales. Patron

sorinmask
    No, it's not. But it's a crutch that can only hinder after a while. Case and point DOS 2. Math and heat maps cannot compensate for the human factor.
    Like Stan Lee once said, you gotta know what makes people who they are.

^ Top  
  20. Perhaps, but you can't even set your own alignment.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    credit where it's due, this looks like the most fun part of Divinity 3 to me now, judging by letsplays anyway.

there's one dude playing drow on utub and he can be a total edgelord in almost any dialogue, many key NPCs react to this. It looks like just flavour though (shouldn't drow have Advantage on dialogue rolls against a lot of creatures like goblins or something like that?), but they did put effort into this.
    (seems like both Shadowheart and Gith like male drow responses, btw :M)

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    When I'm given a preset like Shepard I usually take it with zero alterations because I assume that's the way the developers intended to experience the game.
    You can't even make anything that looks remotely near as good as default Shepard using the ingame character creator.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Bohrain Savant Patron

Bohrain
    Anyone else feel like the boss encounters were designed to be cheesed unless you want to deal with the boss unit and 4+ weaker units simultaneously? At some point I figured there is no point initiating battle through dialogue, you most likely lose in the initiative on top of being in a clumped up position. Separating the party members and letting them join in by attacking through stealth usually means taking a huge chunk of damage from the boss and having casters be in a position where they can use disables without having their concentration broken within the next turn.

^ Top  
  24. Black Arcane

Black
    It's very sad that even after two decades, a small, buggy game remains the undisputed champion when it comes to combat/rolls log, combined with its encylopedia-like feature.
    [​IMG]

• Brofist x 6
    • Yes x 2
    • incline x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Gyor Learned

Gyor
    What game is that?

• Funny x 5
    • not sure if serious x 3
    • decline x 2
    • it is a mystery x 2
    • /facepalm/ x 2
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.