Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Every steam forum should have “Feedback” and “Suggestions” threads where all the stupid spam can be stored.

No, they aren’t going to change turned based to real time any more than they’re going to change Doom into an top down strategy game because of your dumb, barely-readable comment on a forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
It also very difficult to add optional combat to change turn based to RtwP rather than RtwP to Turn based.

It's not a matter which system is better but it is very impossible to do so without completely changing the game from the ground up.

Maybe Larian can give the option to speed up or skip the combat animation to speed up the combat and that's the best they can give.

Has anyone figured out the actual consequences of using the [Illithid] dialog options?

About to replay it and go full tentacle.

It also very difficult to add optional combat to change turn based to RtwP rather than RtwP to Turn based.

It's not a matter which system is better but it is very impossible to do so without completely changing the game from the ground up.

Maybe Larian can give the option to speed up or skip the combat animation to speed up the combat and that's the best they can give.
I’ve seen NPCs engage in combat and even that looks like they’re taking turns, yeah.

The reason people don’t like turn-based is because they can’t figure it out and just want to select all the party members and click attack like you could in half the fights in BG 1&2.

Al the whining about a lack of realism and it really just comes down to laziness and ignorance.

Gargaune

Magister
That's how it works in PnP at least. No idea about BG3.
Ah, well that's the point of contention here. I know the basic P&P mechanic, but thinking back to Swen's gameplay promos I don't recall anything to indicate a roll was being done outside of the cone of view, quite the contrary. Like in the first presentation, when he sneaks up behind the halfling on a crate or the chick patrolling in the dungeon, or when he's sneaking around those skeletons at the end of the demo.

I even saw a YouTuber suggest that if you're Heavily Obscured (no light in the room, in the example), you don't need to roll in the cone of vision either, and you only get caught if you practically bump into the NPC. It's late, so I'm not gonna pull up the PHB, but that seems like an outlandish implementation for a videogame. If it's so dark that you don't need to roll even six feet in front of the guy, then you also shouldn't be able to see him yourself unless you've got Darkvision or something.

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
I’ve seen NPCs engage in combat and even that looks like they’re taking turns, yeah.

The reason people don’t like turn-based is because they can’t figure it out and just want to select all the party members and click attack like you could in half the fights in BG 1&2.

Al the whining about a lack of realism and it really just comes down to laziness and ignorance.

Most of them just want to speed up the pace of combat, if the combat is early part or trash mob it's bearable when taking a turn
but when the combat starting have more enemy and complex it's start to become unbearable.

That's based on my observation rather the complain about lack of realism.

Has anyone figured out the actual consequences of using the [Illithid] dialog options?

Maybe it's a MotB sort of deal giving you the possibility to go for an Illithid ending?
I think every time you do it, the parasite bites a chunk out of your brain.

Other than that though, I have no idea what the end result would look like.

Ceramorphosis isn’t a positive thing. I’m not sure how it could be spun to be a positive thing, unless you can swing some kind of deal for the Illithid to implant your memories and personality in the new Illithid that takes you over or whatever...

The very fact that you aren’t turning into an Illithid by day 5 should signal that something like this MAY be possible.

Infiltrating the goblin fortress is a lot more involved that I thought it would be.

There really are a ton of them in there, so straight combat may be challenging.

If you free the goblin prisoner in the druid grove, she'll help you, but she'll also reveal the location of the druids to the goblin's leaders.

Sharpedge

Prophet

Maybe it's a MotB sort of deal giving you the possibility to go for an Illithid ending?

Ceramorphosis isn’t a positive thing. I’m not sure how it could be spun to be a positive thing, unless you can swing some kind of deal for the Illithid to implant your memories and personality in the new Illithid that takes you over or whatever...

The very fact that you aren’t turning into an Illithid by day 5 should signal that something like this MAY be possible.
In the Underdark there is a friendly mindflayer who you can ask to remove the tadpole. He fails, but in trying he tells you that there is something preventing the tadpole from going through its normal process. Imo its more likely that the "something else" is just using the tadpole as a convenient control mechanism and doesn't actually want mind flayers as its end result.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Infiltrating the goblin fortress is a lot more involved that I thought it would be.

If you free the goblin prisoner in the druid grove, she'll help you, but she'll also reveal the location of the druids to the goblin's leaders.

Don't you have the option to intercept them before they get there? I seem to remember that being an option.

Codex Year of the Donut

In the Underdark there is a friendly mindflayer who you can ask to remove the tadpole. He fails, but in trying he tells you that there is something preventing the tadpole from going through its normal process. Imo its more likely that the "something else" is just using the tadpole as a convenient control mechanism and doesn't actually want mind flayers as its end result.
I remember someone else also tells you this. Was it Halsin?

Don't you have the option to intercept them before they get there? I seem to remember that being an option.
I don't think so. You meet her there and she leads you inside, but there's never really an opportunity to kill her between that point and the point she introduces you to her leader and discloses the druids' location.

I remember someone else also tells you this. Was it Halsin?
Wait, so you can't remove the tadpole at all in Act 1?

lol, everything was a false choice all along.

:deathclaw:

Poseidon00

Arcane
I don't think so. You meet her there and she leads you inside, but there's never really an opportunity to kill her between that point and the point she introduces you to her leader and discloses the druids' location.

I mean after you lead her there and they leave to attack the camp. I seem to recall the journal saying you could intercept them, but I didn't try it. I might as well just try it and see what happens since I have a save right at that point.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Cohh finished his lp and I finished watching it and I don't get it. Where's actual Faerun, and Sword Coast? There wasn't even a realistic settlement of any kind. Basically beginning is some tiefling village, druid circle, goblin dungon, some extra dungeons and quests scattered around; then barely few levels old he jumped into Underdark and pushes Hook Horrors and Bulettes from ledges, doing quests for Good Mushroom Village and meets good illithid who wants to make underdark great again. And then approaches something which looks like big lair of an Enemy.

That gave me feeling that Ch 1 is this then Ch 2 is Underdark (?) and Ch 3 is actual Baldur's Gate but ON FIRE because it would probably be attacked by magic tadpoles - those that don't do anything, because Magic.

If that is the case, that would suck.
How is Ch 1? Can you actually travel on a non linear way and explore freely the country side like you can on BG 1 or they try to railroad you?

Codex Year of the Donut
Cohh finished his lp and I finished watching it and I don't get it. Where's actual Faerun, and Sword Coast? There wasn't even a realistic settlement of any kind. Basically beginning is some tiefling village, druid circle, goblin dungon, some extra dungeons and quests scattered around; then barely few levels old he jumped into Underdark and pushes Hook Horrors and Bulettes from ledges, doing quests for Good Mushroom Village and meets good illithid who wants to make underdark great again. And then approaches something which looks like big lair of an Enemy.

That gave me feeling that Ch 1 is this then Ch 2 is Underdark (?) and Ch 3 is actual Baldur's Gate but ON FIRE because it would probably be attacked by magic tadpoles - those that don't do anything, because Magic.

If that is the case, that would suck.
How is Ch 1? Can you actually travel on a non linear way and explore freely the country side like you can on BG 1 or they try to railroad you?
It's all one big map with no loading screens. Relatively nonlinear, well designed imo.
I just went in whatever direction and did stuff until I ran out of stuff to do, didn't do it in any particular order.

Vatnik Wumao
Fell for the BG3 meme and the mapping of the controls is grinding my gears (particularly in regards to rotating the camera and the lack of WASD movement outside of combat).

That said, the character models for the PC look quite nice and the opening music is absolutely gorgeous.

One thing I haven't seen brought up yet is the facial animations.
Other than the bugged ones, they're some of the best I've seen in an RPG in a long time.
Eh, some are ok, sure, but nothing Witcher 3 level.

As I've said many times before, this is Dragon Age level stuff, which means it's going to be really decent, but nothing epic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom