Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate 3 Community Update #11: Patch 3 - Inspiration, Freedom & Pacifism

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Baldur's Gate 3; Larian Studios; Swen Vincke

Today Larian released their third major patch for the Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access build. It appears to be the game's biggest patch yet, the first to include significant gameplay changes based on player feedback. There's a lot of stuff here. Larian have added experience rewards for non-violent quest solutions, the companions have been overhauled to make them less overbearingly nitpicky, dialogue skill checks have been made less punitive, companions will now automatically jump across gaps when following you, the number of short rests available per long rest has been doubled, simple cantrips no longer create Divinity: Original Sin-style elemental surfaces, and the user interface for upcasting spells has been streamlined. This patch is the first to invalidate existing savegames (though there's a solution for that if you're in the middle of a playthrough) and the first to come with a Swen Vincke video. I'll post that here along with the relevant excerpt from the new community update:

The road less travelled is now rewarding...
Our games have always been about rewarding creativity and exploration, but some people were disappointed with the lack of experience rewards for pacifism, and creative solutions that utilize the road less travelled. Patch 3 introduces rewards for avoiding combat situations, whether in dialogue or through exploration and environmental puzzle solving. Now, all you pacifists will be able to carve out a journey more true to your character’s identity. Or, it’ll just offer more options for specific circumstances.

Companions will now feel more… companionable
On the topic of behaviour, we’ve certainly noticed your companions were perhaps a little negative at times. We’ve taken steps to move away from frequent nitpicking, so that they’ll start focusing more on the bigger picture. Companions will now be more tolerant. Not nitpicking about every single little thing they don't like but rather focusing on the things they do like while still maintaining their personality and having strong beliefs about certain things. In short, they’ll feel a little more like companions.

Dialog skill checks will be less likely to ‘lock you out of content’
Dialogues with particularly harsh or dramatic skill checks have been rebalanced - instead of failing an entire situation based on one difficult roll, you'll have a higher chance of succeeding the roll. This is to stop dice from locking you out of content unless the situation really merits it. Ultimately, however, you’ll still have to flow with the will of the dice.

No more micromanaging party jumping
Micromanaging gymnastics probably wasn’t something you thought you’d be doing in the Forgotten Realms, so now when you jump across a gap, for example, your party will automatically jump across it to follow you. Hooray!

More adventuring, and less resting
You now get 2 short rests after your long rest. Previously, you only had a single short rest. That’s twice the rest, for the same price! This means you have more uninterrupted adventures, and all the perks of resting.

Rebalanced cantrips & fewer surfaces
This was a wildly popular community request. Spells that cost finite resources to cast will now feel much more impactful, as cantrips are now less impactful than ‘true’ spells. This’ll make the management a lot more meaningful, and the ‘true’ spells a lot more rewarding to use. What’s more, we’ve made changes to surfaces, reducing them dramatically to avoid accidents as well as to address other feedback about how combat felt to the community. Fire Bolt, Ray of Frost and Acid Splash no longer create surfaces on impact. Fire Bolt still ignites flammable surfaces, and Ray of Frost still freezes water and blood puddles.

UI improvements including spells & inspiration points
Inspiration points are now visible in the UI, so you can actually use them!

You’re now able to select upcasted versions of spells via a separate widget to declutter the hotbar UI, see today’s update video for how that looks. DnD allows a caster to cast the same spell at different ‘levels’, costing different resources and generally producing a stronger effect.

Previously, each level at which a spell could be cast had a separate icon. After a while, this led to tons of icons cluttering up the hotbar and players having to tediously rearrange it on level up. Now all the variations are neatly packed into a fly-out menu inside the single icon per spell.

The update also includes details about Larian's implementation of cross-saving across different platforms, the game's support for the latest Macintosh hardware from Apple, and of course a full changelog for the patch.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
The last note is interesting. If dedicated Apple M1 games run well, custom gaming PCs will risk losing the performance crown for the first time ever. Not today, but given Apple's performance trajectory it is a distinct possibility in five years (i.e. a lifetime of a gaming rig bought today). A lot will hinge on how well the integrated GPU evolves.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The last note is interesting. If dedicated Apple M1 games run well, custom gaming PCs will risk losing the performance crown for the first time ever. Not today, but given Apple's performance trajectory it is a distinct possibility in five years (i.e. a lifetime of a gaming rig bought today). A lot will hinge on how well the integrated GPU evolves.
Gaming desktops no way, but laptops could.

Apple's M1 chip murders Intel and AMD low-voltage counterparts with no sweat. Runs much faster and so much cooler (60 degrees vs boiling 100), while never thermal throttling WITH NO FUCKING FAN and never using more than about 15W whereas Intel's 15W CPUs actually reach up to around 40W in turbo-boost.. And that's just in Macbook Air lol. In fact, it even competes with higher voltage CPUs. M1X coming up for Macbook Pro 16s will probably easily compete with the higher voltage 35/45W chips.

Funny how soon Macbooks might become decent gaming laptops.

Dr Schultz

Augur
Could someone who is currently playing the EA tell me if long rests are free or somewhat restricted?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Apple's M1 chip murders Intel and AMD low-voltage counterparts with no sweat. Runs much faster and so much cooler (60 degrees vs boiling 100), while never thermal throttling WITH NO FUCKING FAN and never using more than about 15W whereas Intel's 15W CPUs actually reach up to around 40W in turbo-boost.. And that's just in Macbook Air lol. In fact, it even competes with higher voltage CPUs. M1X coming up for Macbook Pro 16s will probably easily compete with the higher voltage 35/45W chips.

Besides, if there is potential in that design for desktop CPUs it'll force innovation. Lord knows the x86 sphere is stagnant as hell.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Except many non-Apple applications are not even running on the M1 chip, because they are not designed for it. Unless Apple learned to bend the laws of physics, I wouldn't hold my breath on a high performance CPU with no fan, no thermal throttling and low power draw.

Last edited:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Except many non-Apple applications are not even running on the M1 chip, because they are not designed for it. Unless Apple learned to bend the laws of physics, I wouldn't hold my breath on a high performance CPU with no fan, no thermal throttling and low power draw.
Yeah, but with time more and more will run, and if M series CPUs prove to outperform Intel and AMD in the long run as well, obviously more people will jump to it and more software will be supported.

Though the best outcome would be to force AMD and Intel to design their chips better, but hard to say whether it will really improve competition or they really are at their best already and just stay inferior. Time will tell, I guess.

EDIT:
Oh, and M1X and other higher-voltage Apple chips will have fans, obviously. It's amazing how much Macbook Air already achieves without one though.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Yeah, but with time more and more will run, and if M series CPUs prove to outperform Intel and AMD in the long run as well, obviously more people will jump to it and more software will be supported.

Though the best outcome would be to force AMD and Intel to design their chips better, but hard to say whether it will really improve competition or they really are at their best already and just stay inferior. Time will tell, I guess.

It's very likely that ARM will be the future of CPUs. My guess is that Intel and AMD will probably eventually transition to ARM depending on the licensing situation.

The key thing is that x86 emulation seems to be getting faster and faster on ARM CPUs and that ARM optimised applications seem to in general be much better than x86 optimised equivalents.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

EDIT:
Oh, and M1X and other higher-voltage Apple chips will have fans, obviously. It's amazing how much Macbook Air already achieves without one though.
Majority of PC users won't use Apple's overpriced and closed devices, so not much chance for a widerange gaming usage. Also, do we have benchmarks on the actual gaming performance of the M1?

Konjad

Patron

EDIT:
Majority of PC users won't use Apple's overpriced and closed devices, so not much chance for a widerange gaming usage. Also, do we have benchmarks on the actual gaming performance of the M1?
Yes, there are but you can search for it yourself. Only WoW runs natively though, the rest run in "virtualization" or whatever it's called (x86 instructions to arm).They still outperform competition - and with low temps, no fan and virtualization.

Anyway, it's the higher-performance M1X chip that can potentially make it or break it. M1 itself is too low power and just makes it better than other low-power ones - so MB Air might be a better choice than XPS 13, but not than Lenovo Legion.

And also Macbooks are cheaper now because its cheaper for apple to make M1 than pay Intel.

It's interesting what the future will bring. Especially with recent AMD boost and upcoming Intel's big.LITTLE architecture and dedicated GPUs as well as finally DDR5 (but who knows, it was supposed to come 3 years ago already) that might actually lead to more significant changes in the PC industry than the last stagnant decade.

Last edited:

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
It's very likely that ARM will be the future of CPUs. My guess is that Intel and AMD will probably eventually transition to ARM depending on the licensing situation.

It's just not a CPU thing, part of the reason the M1 is so competitive is because it's an SoC, and the CPU is just one part of it. The problem is a more general trend of general purpose CPUs (the ones Intel and AMD make) being sidelined for custom designs for dedicated use cases. It's not clear to me how Intel and AMD would adapt to this, but they knew this was coming, so time will tell.

Corvinus

Arcane
So players get a re-roll if the fail, and even if they fail the reroll, their failiure will be cushioned. Surely, that does not speak volumes about who they are catering to, right?

200w.webp

It is said that a picture says more than a thousand words. Below I detail how I feel about this game, the studio, and the target demographic of said game. Not to mention that it is spammed about here incessantly.

uvpb6xocje131.jpg

GloomFrost

Arcane
I know its a stupid question but why even have dialogue skill checks without being able to fail them. Larian just do a dialogue wheel with sarcasm option and be done with it. We already understood that its not going to be a BG game but also not an RPG all together. "Starts googling when Wraith of the Righteous is out"

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
So players get a re-roll if the fail, and even if they fail the reroll, their failiure will be cushioned.
I know its a stupid question but why even have dialogue skill checks without being able to fail them.
Dialogues with particularly harsh or dramatic skill checks have been rebalanced - instead of failing an entire situation based on one difficult roll, you'll have a higher chance of succeeding the roll.

Not unlike what Numenera did with 'Effort'. Big core systems fail (let's please everybody).

Corvinus

Arcane
Press the button to win = 2020 role-playing game of the year. You have to wonder what they will do next as their target demographic strikes out in rage because the button pushing isn't automatic.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Press the button to win = 2020 role-playing game of the year. You have to wonder what they will do next as their target demographic strikes out in rage because the button pushing isn't automatic.

Maybe you should play and see if it's really that easy. Also, maybe check if it wasn't actually too punitive before. I think Codexers complained about this too.

Not unlike what Numenera did with 'Effort'. Big core systems fail (let's please everybody).

Heh Numenera didn't invent this sort of mechanic.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The way 5e handles checks is garbage because there's no way to invest in an attribute in such a way that you will consistently pass that particular kind of check. It needed to be modified.

I know its a stupid question but why even have dialogue skill checks without being able to fail them. Larian just do a dialogue wheel with sarcasm option and be done with it. We already understood that its not going to be a BG game but also not an RPG all together. "Starts googling when Wraith of the Righteous is out"
You still have decent chance of failing them after this fix. Anal diffuculty and contect gating is not always good, believe it or not.

Also using Pathfinder Kingmaker as something with hard dialogue dicerolls shows that you are brain damaged.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
So Larian are bunch of cucks who will yield to whatever any pussy who can't handle failure tells them in early access. If you roll a 1 it's not catastrophic failure it's a pat on the head and another roll. This is really lame.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom