Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Baldur's Gate 3 Community Update #14: Patch 6 - Forging the Arcane

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Infinitron, Oct 15, 2021.

1. Fenix Arcane Vatnik

Fenix
    Much ado about nothing.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    I wouldn't always count on mod support to fix or make a game better. I didn't try the demo or buy early access (or buy it as GOG does have it) so I should shut my trap.

Maybe like a bandaid I should just rush buy the latest: BG3, DISCO, Path WOTR, CP2077... eh whatever else.

Nah... I can wait longer.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. MicoSelva Prestigious Gentleman The House Always Wins Patron

MicoSelva
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I remember being awestruck when I first reach the Underdark in Baldur's Gate 2. It was such a nice surprise and a new, unknown situation for my party to deal with. It still gives me shivers when I think about it.

These days RPG devs seem keen on revealing everything up front, sacrificing mystery and joy of exploration for marketing. I really hate this.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Ulfhednar Learned

Ulfhednar
    They keep saying ‘Baldur’s Gate 3’, but when I watch the video it’s just BalD:OS Gate 3... meh...

^ Top  
  5. gulagdandy Novice

gulagdandy
    I mean. It's an isometric CRPG set in the Forgotten Realms, and it will ostensibly feature some characters from the original games at some point. So yeah, I can see how it can be considered a sequel. But I agree with everyone here that it could have taken more design cues from BG1 and 2.

I personally would have liked it if they at least had referenced the original UI. I think it's pretty iconic and holds up pretty well, and much more immersive than the current one.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    https://www.mobygames.com/game/baldurs-gate-ii-shadows-of-amn/cover-art/gameCoverId,7320/

Visiting the Underdark was a selling point on the box itself. Back then you just didn't pay any attention to these things.

• Funny Funny x 7
    ^ Top  
  7. Decado Prestigious Gentleman Old time handsome face wrecker Patron

Decado
    Codex 2014
    I'm not picking on you, but I want to focus on a word you used (that I assume you used on purpose) which is "ostensibly." Because what the word actually means (and again, not picking on you) is that something appears a certain way that it may not actually be; to use the literal dictionary term it means "apparently or purportedly, but perhaps not actually."

And I have to say that your use of the word has quite remarkably captured the feeling I get when I watch the game being played -- when I read the dialog, when I see the combat, when I look at the classes, when I try to follow the limited story that has so far been released. This game is ostensibly a Baldur's Gate game. It makes a great effort to appear as one; it is apparently or purportedly a Baldur's Gate game, but perhaps not actually. What does it mean that some characters from the original games may appear, at some point? One gets the feeling he is about to have his expectations subverted. This is only ever enjoyable when you don't know it is happening and further, only works occasionally (in the hands of a truly gifted writer, for example, which I am sure we are not dealing with here).

The whole thing feels flimsy, artificial. It's fake news. They have had ample opportunities to showcase how this game will connect to the first two, or at least proceed from them. As I recall, the original third entry in the BG story -- The Black Hound -- was not directly related to BG 1/2. Okay. Maybe that would have worked, and maybe not. But the license was surely in better hands at the time. Maybe Black Isle were the only ones who could release a BGIII only tangentially connected to BG 1/2, and maybe we wouldn't have cared. But too much time has passed, and there has been 20 years of pontificating over BG2. You cannot just pick this thing up again, unless it bears some semblance to the thing it used to be.

The fanfare of Larian's BG 3 announcement quickly dissolved. We're left with a rather generic looking DnD game, one that exists amidst a growing crowd of similar games to include Pillars, Pathfinder, Solasta, and more.

The game will no doubt do well, buttressed by "people" who "like" "hardcore RPGs." Sure, fine, whatever. But by my lights, Sven has some explaining to do. In what way is the Baldur's Gate title anything more than a marketing ploy, a way to borrow the credibility of the two preceding games? To put it another way, if the words "Baldur's Gate" were removed from the title of the game, what would change? Would you know it was the third in a series? If not, what is the name doing -- other than what I suspect it is doing, which is not good?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. MicoSelva Prestigious Gentleman The House Always Wins Patron

MicoSelva
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The only thing I read about it before release was a short preview blurb in a printed magazine. I never saw the box until it arrived in the mail. Also, Polish box is different. You should not assume things. ;)

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    'fair nough, but that info was there for the people looking for it https://web.archive.org/web/2000081...lt.ign.com/features/intelligence/bg2soa.shtml

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Gyor Learned

Gyor
    Starting off with Wild Magic was silly, it's by far the most niche and off putting of the Sorcerer subclasses, Divine Soul and Shadow Soul would have been the easiest to implement and are among the most popular.

But that is my only complaint, Sorcerers are fun.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Skdursh Learned

Skdursh
    I don't really care who gets butthurt over the truth of it, but Larian makes pretty decent games. As far as modern big-name RPGs go, they are the best we are getting out of the AAA sector. Naming this "Baldur's Gate 3" was a mistake, but that's really the only negative thing I can say about it.

• Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • consume product x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Rinslin Merwind Liturgist

Rinslin Merwind
    Btw, in the middle of the fucking night, my mind (tormented by boredom and insomnia) conjured a theory that in was push from WoTC to shoehorn Wild Magic sorc into he game, because there a certain youtube channel doing a D&D campaign with plot involving a Wild Magic sorc and Divination wizard and, oh boy, sponsorships form WoTC drop like a rain, even though channel is not very big. Also some codexers compained about WoTC being obsessed with Divination wizard( this school manipulates with rolls too), so maybe WotC really intervened in development of BG3. This could also explain, why Larian decided to add new classes, instead of ,you know, finishing the fucking game first.

P.S. After writing this comment I want to sleep again, truly, every BG3 thread is magical place. This one casting sleep and main one casting power word - blind and mind blank, just to forget stupid nonsense written here.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Larianshill Scholar

Larianshill
    So, you think WotC has some sort of plot...

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Bigg Boss Arcane

Bigg Boss
    This is how I feel. It might not feel like Baldur's Gate but it feels ok for what it is. They really do need to keep the Divinity out of the BG though. If I buy this shit and find myself casting rain and then lightning to stun I will throw my fucking monitor out the window.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Fenix Arcane Vatnik

Fenix
    Uncanney valley effect?

^ Top  
  16. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    how dare you

assume being silly is a bad thing

^ Top  
  17. Tyrion8338 Novice

Tyrion8338
    I`ve loved original baldur`s gate games and I really enjoyed bg3 early access. I`m looking forward to playing full version.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. luj1 You're all shills

luj1
    The ruleset and cinematic dialogue are shite

Plus cringe writing, idiotic companions and SJW stuff

• Salute Salute x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.