Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate 3 Community Update #16: Patch 8 - Of Valour and Lore

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Baldur's Gate 3; David Walgrave; Farhang Namdar; Larian Studios; Nick Pechenin; Swen Vincke

The eighth major patch for Baldur's Gate 3 was released yesterday following its introduction at the latest Panel From Hell event. This time, Larian have added the Bard class to the game as well as Gnomes as a playable race. As with previously revealed classes, bards in Baldur's Gate 3 come in two flavors: the melee-oriented College of Valour and the spellcasting-oriented College of Lore. As for gnomes, they come in Forest, Deep and Rock varieties. Other changes included in the new patch include a "swarm AI" feature which allows trash mob enemies such as goblins to move simultaneously during certain battles, improved dialogue cinematics, the option to cast the Detect Thoughts spell during dialogue, updated models for certain companions, new hairstyles for character creation, a new set of animations for elven characters, and shovels with which you can dig for treasure.

As for the panel itself, it was presented in the form of an extremely silly bardic rock contest and was shorter than Larian's previous streams. Instead of an extended gameplay session, Swen only demonstrated some of the bard's new abilities and fought a single battle against some vicious harpies. Here's the trailer for the new patch and an excerpt from the accompanying community update:

Trebel Makers: A new Bard class comes to Baldur’s Gate 3

Bards are a versatile class who inspire their party with words or music. Their signature move, Bardic Inspiration, positions them as a robust support class, allowing them to boost an ally’s effectiveness in combat and emboldens them to hit harder and faster. But whether your Bard’s other strengths lie more in spellcasting or in combat will depend on which of their two subclasses you choose once they reach Level 3.

Bards of the College of Valour are deadly with simple weapons, using the proficiencies and skills of their subclass to deal devastating attacks. Their signature ability - Combat Inspiration - makes them a powerful addition to any team, allowing them to inspire allies with their valour, boost weapon damage and Armour Class, or add a +1d6 bonus to the next Attack Roll, Ability Check, or Saving throw.

Bards of the College of Lore, on the other hand, are capable spellcasters who seek out knowledge anywhere it lives, and use deft wordplay and magical abilities to confuse and debuff foes. As a Bard of the College of Lore, you’ll be able to unleash a string of insults that sap the confidence of your enemies – dealing out a 1d6 penalty to Attack Rolls, Ability Checks, and damage dealt until their next turn.

Their signature ability - Cutting Words - allows them to unleash a string of insults to sap the confidence of their enemies, dealing out a 1d6 penalty to Attack Rolls, Ability Checks, and damage dealt until their next turn. Inspired by this power, Patch 8 features 97 bespoke insults, each meticulously crafted by our team of talented writers who have spent years honing their wordsmithing skills in the Rude Arts.

Playable Gnomes come to Baldur’s Gate 3

In Patch 8, we are adding our first new playable race since launching in Early Access. They are curious. They are adventurous. They can make for an impressively compact projectile should you ever feel the urge to throw one.

They’re Gnomes!

Gnomes are one of Faerun’s brighter races, starting things out with +1 intelligence and Gnome Cunning - which grants them an advantage on all Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma-based Saving Throws against magic.

Should you choose to play as the reclusive Forest Gnome, you’ll receive +1 Dexterity on top of that, as well as Darkvision to see better through the shadows. Deep Gnomes of the Underdark receive Superior Darkvision by comparison – allowing them to see even further in the dark - and can hide in rocky terrain using their subrace trait Stone Camouflage.

The third playable Gnome subrace is the Rock Gnome, not to be confused with my Angus Young tribute band of the same name. Rock Gnomes receive +1 Concentration, Darkvision and Artificer’s Lore, giving you a double Proficiency bonus on History checks.​

The full patch notes for the update are available here. According the Swen, the game is now in the final stretch of development. Perhaps they're saving Paladins for last?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Of Turds and Decline

https://youtu.be/ioIlH4-wEVc?t=2475
quality_shit.png

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
According the Swen, the game is now in the final stretch of development.

90-90 rule: The first 90 percent of development account for the first 90 percent of the development time. The remaining 10 percent account for the other 90 percent of the development time.

Bah

Arcane
Two years later and.... bards!

(Also still possible to get game into a state where both quicksave and normal saves 100% crash the game with either a hard dialgoue crash-box error, or infinite spinning save animation in upper left corner.)

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Bards are a favorite of mine. Something silly, sometimes cool about a Bard. I find them best suited for ttrpg. Nobody seems to have gotten them right in games all the way. I wonder what games have the best bards? I remember when EQ1 came out. I always enjoyed having a Bard in the group. The run speed, mana regen, and the cool pulsating song/spell effects.

Anyhow, this is from a company that was upset and their own playerbase when the aggregate data they collected about the characters everyone created (bizarre data collection I am sure it's in the EULA though:roll:) weren't satisfactory. Here is a picture of everyones character combined into one character and the scolding that took place on their steam update.

ED1lGtP.jpg

Before the fixes, let’s share something you’ve created yourselves (this is your own fault) through your choices in character creation. We took the most popular choices in character creation, and recreated this. We thought our analytics system wasn’t working! We checked. It is. Congratulations, you’ve basically made the default Vault Dweller.

The game looks somewhat interesting. The progress being made looks good for the most part. But do you think they would have made a comment like that if the character had a bit more melanin in them? It seems like the game is going to preach at the player a bit too.

Codex Year of the Donut
Anyhow, this is from a company that was upset and their own playerbase when the aggregate data they collected about the characters everyone created (bizarre data collection I am sure it's in the EULA though:roll:) weren't satisfactory. Here is a picture of everyones character combined into one character and the scolding that took place on their steam update.

ED1lGtP.jpg

Before the fixes, let’s share something you’ve created yourselves (this is your own fault) through your choices in character creation. We took the most popular choices in character creation, and recreated this. We thought our analytics system wasn’t working! We checked. It is. Congratulations, you’ve basically made the default Vault Dweller.
The game looks somewhat interesting. The progress being made looks good for the most part. But do you think they would have made a comment like that if the character had a bit more melanin in them? It seems like the game is going to preach at the player a bit too.
they wanted people to test the races with tails/horns/etc., to find bugs, especially with regards to equipment fitting
you guys are like SJWs in your ability to find offense in everything

Vatnik Wumao
Playable Gnomes come to Baldur’s Gate 3
In Patch 8, we are adding our first new playable race since launching in Early Access. They are curious. They are adventurous. They can make for an impressively compact projectile should you ever feel the urge to throw one.​
They’re Gnomes!​
Where are my Duergar, Swen? :argh:

Bah

Arcane

ED1lGtP.jpg

they wanted people to test the races with tails/horns/etc., to find bugs, especially with regards to equipment fitting
you guys are like SJWs in your ability to find offense in everything

And here is Rusty again spreading an air of anti-Whiteness. It's not the publics fault if they don't want to look like deviants. Maybe Sven could hire more third worlders to do more testing as apparently the Malaysia team needs lots of help.

Black

Arcane
Bards have always been an ill-conceived class that should never exist. Anyone who downs few ales suddenly becomes a bard.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
There should be a class thread on Bards/Minstrels/musicians/etc. (the best, the worst, the mechanics and why the hell you'd want/need one).

gaussgunner

Arcane

ED1lGtP.jpg

He's not white! He's a J-- Gnome!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom