Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate 3 Community Update #18: Baldur's Date - August 31st

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Baldur's Gate 3; Larian Studios

Larian announced that Baldur's Gate 3 would be launching in August during the Game Awards event last year. The exact release date of August 31st was revealed yesterday during Sony's latest State of Play event. Yes, that means the game will be launching on PlayStation consoles, with the requisite controller support, split-screen and cross-saving features. Larian were equally excited to reveal that they'd enlisted the talents of famed character actor J.K. Simmons to voice General Ketheric Thorm, a necromancer lord who is one of the game's three main antagonists. You can see more of him in the behind-the-scenes video that they produced alongside the release date reveal trailer. The accompanying community update has more details:

Hello and howdy, dear readers!
What’s it called when the long-awaited third installment in a beloved RPG series finally gets a proper release day announcement? That’s Baldur’s Date.

Baldur’s Gate 3 releases on August 31, 2023 for PC, Mac, and PS5.

Earlier today we unveiled a brand new gameplay and story trailer during Sony’s State of Play livestream. Fret not, our PC-focused friends, as you will still want to see this trailer:

Meet General Ketheric Thorm, a seemingly invincible necromancer leading an army of the dead towards the city of Baldur’s Gate. Ketheric isn’t the antagonist, but one of three main antagonists that your party will need to contend with if you ever want to get those tadpoles out of your head (maybe even if you decide you don’t ).

Ketheric’s plans for the people of Faerûn are as complex as his motivations, and so we knew his role would benefit from the kind of depth and gravitas that renowned character actor J.K. Simmons could provide. One take at the recording booth and we knew we’d made the right call. Take a look behind the scenes:

We’ll introduce you to two more antagonists over the coming months, so keep an eye out (but close them if someone approaches with anything… wiggly).

Those of you who prefer to navigate the world using analogue sticks and buttons may have caught a glimpse at what full controller support for Baldur’s Gate 3 will look like for launch. With split-screen co-op, too, you’ll be able to experience the entirety of your adventures in Faerûn with another player on the same device!

Baldur’s Gate 3 will also support cross-progression between PC, Mac and PS5, allowing you to transfer your saves between platforms and continue your adventure wherever you purchase the game. Personally, we’ll be taking our experience on the road with the Steam Deck, and then venturing home to enjoy the cinematic experience of interrupting an ogre’s horizontal tango from the comfort of our sofa. Don’t forget the popcorn!​

Larian are putting together a Digital Deluxe Edition of Baldur's Gate 3 with the usual assortment of soundtracks, artbooks and in-game bonus items (including a set of equipment inspired by the companions of Divinity: Original Sin 2). Early Access owners will be automatically upgraded to the deluxe edition on launch, which is pretty cool.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Ketheric isn’t the antagonist, but one of three main antagonists that your party will need to contend with if you ever want to get those tadpoles out of your head (maybe even if you decide you don’t ).

Glad they elaborated on this, I was confused when I saw the trailer because I thought the bad guys were illithids and devils and now here's this evil elf out of nowhere. Shaping up to be a Neverwinter Nights 2-esque kitchen sink plot.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I have no idea what you just said, but don't you just fucking hate how you know the entire plot of the whole thing before even playing the game, and everyone does too?

"BG" 3 is shit and I won't play it, but the way these games are presented nowadays is additionally disgusting.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ketheric isn’t the antagonist, but one of three main antagonists that your party will need to contend with if you ever want to get those tadpoles out of your head (maybe even if you decide you don’t ).

Glad they elaborated on this, I was confused when I saw the trailer because I thought the bad guys were illithids and devils and now here's this evil elf out of nowhere. Shaping up to be a Neverwinter Nights 2-esque kitchen sink plot.
It's actually a devil illithid wearing an elf mask.

I have no idea what you just said, but don't you just fucking hate how you know the entire plot of the whole thing before even playing the game, and everyone does too?

"BG" 3 is shit and I won't play it, but the way these games are presented nowadays is additionally disgusting.
Are you expecting convoluted writing from western fantasy?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik

First of all, convoluted is a negative term, I think you meant complex. And I don't necessarily want complex, I want good.
Secondly, is there good writing from eastern, northern or southern devs? FROM makes amazing aRPGs, but not through writing.
Witcher is goyslop, in case you were going to mention that.
So what's left?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

First of all, convoluted is a negative term, I think you meant complex. And I don't necessarily want complex, I want good.
Secondly, is there good writing from eastern, northern or southern devs? FROM makes amazing aRPGs, but not through writing.
So what's left?

There's no good writing in video games, especially not modern ones.

Exception exists for PS:T, ofc.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik

So what's left?

There's no good writing in video games.
Not in your games, but if Avellone graced us one more time as a lead writer, we would have.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
That music is pretty bad, wow. You can feel that they lost their composers after the last game ; that guy was good but this isn't doing it. These chants and so on are very epic, they make me want to stab out my eardrums. This all looks like the most tired, boring nonsense ; I feel the the team's passion through the design, as they are paid fat salaries by the canadian state just mucking about all day in a fun working environment ; you know, fucking economics here, the spirit of reality. Inflation, you piece of shit. Pay for it. Cannot wait to waddle around with my hafling buddies fighting the necromancer with the power of friendship. It's going to be sweet, just fucking kill me already.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Not in your games, but if Avellone graced us one more time as a lead writer, we would have.

Doubtful that Avellone is going to return to the games industry anytime soon.

I hope that if he returns to making games, it's by blazing his own way instead of re-integrating himself to a decaying, artistically-bankrupt industry.

I wish that he returns as a solodev, and with the help of AI tools, builds the best RPG that has ever been made. Like PS:T, but with modern visuals, excellent combat and Avellone's signature writing style.

The true path to glory lies in breaking the limitations of the artform, laughing in the face of your detractors, and achieving excellence with a singular artistic vision.

That's what I want. That's what I hope he wants too.

But I'm retarded and this will never happen lol.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If I was a billionaire, I'd give a MCA a blank check to make a game of his dreams, but we can't be entirely sure someone hasn't already tried to do that. Maybe we are living in times when dreamers don't dream anymore.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
WOW JK SIMMONS IS DOING VOICE ACTING FOR BALDURS GATE 3

literally who gives a shit. They can bring in Jesus Christ to do VO and it wouldnt change anything. VO itself is unimportant, gameplay is what matters

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
WOW JK SIMMONS IS DOING VOICE ACTING FOR BALDURS GATE 3

literally who gives a shit. They can bring in Jesus Christ to do VO and it wouldnt change anything. VO itself is unimportant, gameplay is what matters
dunno, sasha grey cp77 pick appeared to be popular in here

imo... give voice acting roles to nobodies and amateur vas from youtube and twitch. they need the job more than any celeb, and there's a big fat chance they either put their heart and soul into it, or at least give us one of those endearingly cringey performances from the late 90s.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Larianshill

Arbiter
ut if Avellone graced us one more time as a lead writer
18_21_09_11_8_51_17.jpg

THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL THE BEAR THE BULL

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom