Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate 3 Community Update #18: Baldur's Date - August 31st

Zeriel

Arcane
I have no idea what you just said, but don't you just fucking hate how you know the entire plot of the whole thing before even playing the game, and everyone does too?

"BG" 3 is shit and I won't play it, but the way these games are presented nowadays is additionally disgusting.

It's a serious contender for why games have lost all their magic. Even if you are totally blind to a game going into it, just looking at a Steam page for it douses you in an overload of information that makes it really hard to get that "just finding a game in a shop in the 90s and glancing at the back of the box" experience.

However in the case of BG3 I don't think it matters much, what made me hate this game was not reading about it, but actually playing it when it first came out in EA. The actual game is what is so awful, not too much info about it. Before I played it, I thought, "Hey, this should at least be moderately entertaining!" as someone who thought D:OS had all the building blocks of a proper turn-based D&D game. It's funny to look back on my naivete that a more easy to use D:OS toolset could lead to a NWN style renaissance of custom D&D-style turn-based content, I was far too naive on how cucked Larian was about to get.

Last edited:

tommy heavenly6

Educated
I have no idea what you just said, but don't you just fucking hate how you know the entire plot of the whole thing before even playing the game, and everyone does too?

"BG" 3 is shit and I won't play it, but the way these games are presented nowadays is additionally disgusting.

It's a serious contender for why games have lost all their magic. Even if you are totally blind to a game going into it, just looking at a Steam page for it douses you in an overload of information that makes it really hard to get that "just finding a game in a shop in the 90s and glancing at the back of the box" experience.
Unveiling the entire plot of media works has become a common practice throughout entertainment industries, starting with cinema. Apparently companies have realized that the normie becomes more attached and hyped to upcoming products with this method. You reveal 90% of the story in the trailer and the normie/lite-geek spends all his time discussing the details as if he/she were unlocking some obscure secret, you can see this in youtube analysis of trailers for example. We live in a world where many prefer to watch people play games than play games themselves so of course this mindset is to be expected. They actually feel satisfaction when they 'experience' the product and confirm everything they've read/watched about it, they will look up walkthroughs during the first time playing, etcetera. The feeling of being an accomplished expert on the subject without the nuisance of having to learn by trial and error. Surprise and enjoyment are for losers.

DemonKing

Arcane
This just made me feel bad for JK Simmons. He's doing the best he can with this shitty dialog, but it's reduced even him to sounding like some stilted, $25 per hour Euro Jank voice actor.
Yeah - I thought he did the best he could with what they gave him, but every time it went to the actual in game talking head the gravitas melted away.

Zeriel

Arcane

Unveiling the entire plot of media works has become a common practice throughout entertainment industries, starting with cinema. Apparently companies have realized that the normie becomes more attached and hyped to upcoming products with this method. You reveal 90% of the story in the trailer and the normie/lite-geek spends all his time discussing the details as if he/she were unlocking some obscure secret, you can see this in youtube analysis of trailers for example. We live in a world where many prefer to watch people play games than play games themselves so of course this mindset is to be expected. They actually feel satisfaction when they 'experience' the product and confirm everything they've read/watched about it, they will look up walkthroughs during the first time playing, etcetera. The feeling of being an accomplished expert on the subject without the nuisance of having to learn by trial and error. Surprise and enjoyment are for losers.

My first recognition of this was when eurojank games managed to be more thrilling to me than western AAA releases. Not because they were, objectively, somehow better, but just because they came as a complete surprise. You didn't know what to expect, so even a mediore game was suddenly quite exciting.

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron

My first recognition of this was when eurojank games managed to be more thrilling to me than western AAA releases. Not because they were, objectively, somehow better, but just because they came as a complete surprise. You didn't know what to expect, so even a mediore game was suddenly quite exciting.
I suspect revealing most of the plot isn't actually to the benefit of media companies. I think they're now just run by idiots who can't think of any other way to get people interested in their shit movies.

Zeriel

Arcane

I suspect revealing most of the plot isn't actually to the benefit of media companies. I think they're now just run by idiots who can't think of any other way to get people interested in their shit movies.

The trailer thing is probably just... them not putting anything off limits. So of course the trailer people get access to the whole film, take out the best parts and put it into the trailer, convincing the audience the movie MUST be awesome, then they watch the movie and realize the trailer already showed them all the good bits, and the studios are too dumb to stop them from doing this. Then again they got their tickets sold so who cares?

Faarbaute

Arbiter
It's a ritual.

Väderhatt

Novice
This just made me feel bad for JK Simmons. He's doing the best he can with this shitty dialog, but it's reduced even him to sounding like some stilted, $25 per hour Euro Jank voice actor.
"Bow before the absolute!" It just sounds lame.
True. It pales in comparison to Sarevok's entrance or Icewind Dale narrator. Nowadays, compelling voice acting has become a rarity. I felt nothing watching this trailer. :negative:

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
"Bow before the absolute!" It just sounds lame.
True. It pales in comparison to Sarevok's entrance or Icewind Dale narrator. Nowadays, compelling voice acting has become a rarity. I felt nothing watching this trailer. :negative:
It came across as muddled.

The Jester

Cipher
ut if Avellone graced us one more time as a lead writer
The Bear and the Bull is...LE BAD! because...IT JUST IS OKAY?
udt3cu1q6l741.jpg

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Cool, a trailer that highlights everything I dislike about it. I won't have to say anything I can just link to this trailer. Thanks Larian!

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
This is how movie trailers used to be back in the day. As cheesy as the formulaic movie trailers post-Matrix have been, at least they try to create mystery.

I am not pleased by this new trailer. I had higher hopes for the Absolute than some drama queen old elf. But I am still willing to wait and see on this given how well-done the first part of the game was. And given the fact that they have my money already. :M

Never preorder or do early access, folks. The best you'll get is a buggy paid demo that won't get updated nearly enough - apart from bug fixes, nerfs for normies and the occasional tranny gender patch.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is how movie trailers used to be back in the day. As cheesy as the formulaic movie trailers post-Matrix have been, at least they try to create mystery.

I am not pleased by this new trailer. I had higher hopes for the Absolute than some drama queen old elf. But I am still willing to wait and see on this given how well-done the first part of the game was. And given the fact that they have my money already. :M

Never preorder or do early access, folks. The best you'll get is a buggy paid demo that won't get updated nearly enough - apart from bug fixes, nerfs for normies and the occasional tranny gender patch.
did BG3 got a tranny gender patch or was it in the game from the start?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
If I was a billionaire, I'd give a MCA a blank check to make a game of his dreams, but we can't be entirely sure someone hasn't already tried to do that. Maybe we are living in times when dreamers don't dream anymore.
I tried making that offer, but Chris was already on his knees and unzipping my pants before I could even finish the sentence, specifically the part about "...to make a game of your dreams".

Shaki

Arbiter
Holy shit, worst trailer I've seen in ages. Music is absolutely awful, and the game looks like a fucking MMO. Reminds me of Dragon Age: Inquisition.

So I'm assuming this won't be codex's GOTY 2023?

Thankfully, it's neither an action game nor visual novel, so we're probably save from this trash becoming GOTY.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom