Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate 3 Community Update #18: Baldur's Date - August 31st

S.torch

Arbiter
Also Baldur's Gate was never deep or beautiful. It was a fun fantasy adventure for teens in the 90s. It's not the 90s anymore and that style does not have the appeal for today's youth, much like how the 60s looked terribly old-fashioned to kids of the 90s.

None of those boomers know what young people want, the changes are for THEMSELVES who have changed for the worse. Retro stuff today is considered aesthetically pleasing by the young (including me), in fact I think for someone today it looks even better and they appreciate it more for the contrast with the rubbish they have to put up with. Something that was good in its time will be good forever. So that argument is very dishonest, they might as well say they like it that way or see no problem with those crappy changes, but don't say it's the fault of the current generations who don't even know that saga in the first place. How many times haven't games, movies, etc... that "appealed" to current generations failed? That stale new audience that favours making everything look uglier and stupider only exists in their heads and in the heads of their circle of well-to-do cronies.

And I don't say this specifically for Larian, but for the decision makers above it who have undoubtedly mandated many of these changes.

Larian has a special place in my hate, just because they make such a mockery of the medium.
It's not the 90s anymore and that style does not have the appeal for today's youth, much like how the 60s looked terribly old-fashioned to kids of the 90s.
fczhn5ywyai4ucos0d38.jpg

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
BG3 is obviously not aimed at teens and, no matter what and how much it changes compared to IE iso crpgs, has like zero appeal for that age group, so I'm not sure what the point of that "argument" even is.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
That's because they know us 40 something dnd/bg/crpg nerds are pretty much guaranteed to buy it. They dint to convince us for the most part so they can ignore us. What they dint understand, is that the young 'unscwho want to play turn base dnd actually like the older BGs just fine. Those interested in 'modern action rpgs' won't be buying a turn based dnd rpg NO MATTER WHAT.

And, even us hard-core idiots who have money to waste have limits. Just ask Nu Bioshit.

Mortmal

Arcane
All you need to know:

From the logos, to the music, to the themes and writing... It's like we went from something deep and beautiful to some parody of depth and beauty, except the parody takes itself seriously and can't ever seem to stfu.

I hate many modern RPG studios for the low quality of their product, but Larian has a special place in my hate, just because they make such a mockery of the medium.

This is a poor comparison because the BG3 trailer is not the intro.

Also Baldur's Gate was never deep or beautiful. It was a fun fantasy adventure for teens in the 90s. It's not the 90s anymore and that style does not have the appeal for today's youth, much like how the 60s looked terribly old-fashioned to kids of the 90s.

I think i was teen in the 90's that was so long ago. I'd like to see a rpg as gritty and dark than 1961 elric the necromancer , 1950 1957 tales of conan, and so many other books in my huge library. Nothing like the puritanist with woke milkshake that is the norm nowadays, with a huge checklist to include and huge blacklist of things to not include to not offend anyone. Twitteritas would call for boycott of course if such style was to be found in a modern rpg or movie, but i would guarantee it would still sell a lot , that old fashioned stuff.
Truly roguey with your statment, you made me sure you truly deserve your place amongst the codex staff, along with prestigious members like crispy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom