Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Baldur's Gate 3 Gameplay Reveal, Previews and Interviews

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Baldur's Gate 3; Larian Studios; Swen Vincke

Seven months after its announcement, Swen Vincke finally unveiled Baldur's Gate 3 at PAX East today in an extended 85 minute onstage presentation. The game begins with an impressive opening cinematic in which your character escapes from an illithid vessel right after being gruesomely implanted with one of their tadpoles. You wakes up on a beach, and from that point on it becomes what one might have guessed from the screenshots leaked earlier today. Baldur's Gate 3 really is a higher budget Divinity: Original Sin 2, with character origins, exclusively turn-based combat, and dialogue sequences that look like something out of Dragon Age: Inquisition. Combat seems fairly challenging - Swen actually loses his entire party at one point and is forced to restart. The game also seems to have a stronger emphasis on environmental traversal and verticality.

Soon after the presentation began, the press embargo expired and a whole bunch of websites published their previews and interviews. Here's a list of them:

As many outlets reported this week, Baldur's Gate 3 will be out on Early Access later this year. Of course, we've known about that since Swen revealed it to German GameStar magazine last year. What do you think, folks?

Glaucon

Prophet
Feels a bit weird that dialogue options are written as if a player were describing what their character has done.

skycycle

Educated
Visually and audio-wise it's quite impressive, but there's some stuff in there that I'm not liking. The clunky UI will be fixed by release, and I can ignore the rotating camera by sticking to fixed isometric view - but those first-person text descriptions are just awful, why would they switch that all of a sudden?

All in all, so far it looks and feels more like a cross between D:OS2 and Dragon Age: Origins than a sequel to BG1/2. Not necessarily a bad thing, mind you, but probably not what many were expecting...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Subpar 'BG' game. At best, it'll be playable, but it will not be as good as BG series, NWN series, DA series, or even TOEE since TOEE - shit story and writing aside - wanted to be D&D. The creatrors of BG3 HATE D&D and believe it sucks. LMAO

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I wondered today if Volourn will come back and post something just because it is BG3. And it did happen :D

Darkforge

Augur
Turn based so good. Very glad they didn't choose to go with the original RTWP based system that simply does not work in D&D. Ill reserve further judgement until its released.

vorvek

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Everything looked so cartoony. Those explosive waves when jumping, and non magical attacks that look like laser beams really killed the presentation for me. It's a shame, because it looks like it has some fun mechanics.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
it was very fun watching all the fails and bugs. game looks like a mash between DOS and DA. not super enthusiastic at this point.

Falksi

Arcane
BG had a distinct authenticity & charm, largely rooted in it's UI & isometric artwork. That played a huge part in giving the games their distinct "classic" feel & vibe.

This has absolutely none of that at all. Folk are comparing it to DA:O, but it's way more like DA:I in it's modern, bright, bulky, bullshit approach.

A fucking disgrace all round. Awful pacing too. Every real battle & trap seemed to take an age.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
also gonna be fun seeing all the kids choosing dark goth half-vamp and in the prologue have it revealed that they're fags hahaha
(PC half-vamp says something about seducing a guy the other night)

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, this is nothing like Baldur's Gate, not even remotely close. This is divinity 3 with another name, an expansion of DOS2 if you prefer as they even use a lot of assets from the old game.

said that, my mind will call this game DOS3 ignoring anything about BG, and as long it doesn't have the armor system I will have fun playing it.

And to scratch that itch of a more in depth combat system, we will have Pathfinder.

It looks, sounds and plays exactly like D:OS2. After putting over 60-70 hours into that (and the first game), I'm not sure I can stomach playing another game that's a near-exact copy.

The Bishop

Cipher
I wonder what happened with all the 'fixes' to the system like no rolls to hit? Where is that super interactive environment and all the other stuff they talked about in the interviews? Was it all just a bait to make people obsessively post for 300 pages? If so Swen is a very good baiter. A master even.

Anyway, this looks like a rather straightforward mix between DA production values and DOS gameplay. Targeting disgruntled DA:O fans that didn't like the direction Bioware taken with the rest of the series actually seems pretty smart. I don't think they look to attract a lot of BG fans with this. The title is only there to message the potential customers that this game is a throwback to 'good old times' of pre-EA Bioware.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
You really thought they were going to make a 2D isometric RPG with such a big brand name? This is called "Baldur's Gate 3", they just couldn't just risk to directly compete with Pathfinder, Pillars of Eternity and the like, that would have been madness. Yet Larian decided to take the traditional turn-based route.

You people should be really thankful.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom