Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate 3 Love thread

Gyor

Savant
Because the BG3 hate thread is bullshit and misplaced when it should be directed at Dark Alliance.

Baldur's Gate 3 is the 3 way love child of the Baldur's Gate series, Divinity Original Sin 2, and gold box game Spelljammer: Pirates of Realmspace, with Neverwinter Nights 2 as an influencial uncle. Its turn based and using the cool 5e rules.

The Companion have even more interesting twists boosting replayablity, Tiefling subraces are in, Half Drow from NWN2 are back, they made mage hand more interesting and they hints at the plots in the game are interesting and the women are way hotter then any other FR CRPG. You can bang all your companions and likely more. The camp mechanic and its fellowers seem promising.

Haters can suck it. This is mostly the FR CRPG of my dreams.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Baldur's Gate 3 is the 3 way love child of the Baldur's Gate series, Divinity Original Sin 2, and gold box game Spelljammer: Pirates of Realmspace, with Neverwinter Nights 2 as an influencial uncle. Its turn based and using the cool 5e rules.
So what you’re saying is that it’s a hideous abomination and that we should burn Larian to the ground before they can complete it?

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I discovered Dark Alliance recently, thanks to this renewed interest from BG3. It is ok, better than Diablo 3. I had some fun playing it.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Because the BG3 hate thread is bullshit and misplaced when it should be directed at Dark Alliance.

The Companion have even more interesting twists boosting replayablity, Tiefling subraces are in, Half Drow from NWN2 are back, they made mage hand more interesting and they hints at the plots in the game are interesting and the women are way hotter then any other FR CRPG. You can bang all your companions and likely more. The camp mechanic and its fellowers seem promising.

I quickly got over the fact that this game is not will be like Baldur's Gate. But I don't care because I have all the Infinity Engine games at my disposal, and can enjoy them whenever I want. I even have Pillars of Eternity and Pathfinder if I want to play something modern, along those games.
This game, although different, has the potential of being a great cRPG on its own right. Larian didn't fuck us over yet, so why would I hate this?

Gyor

Savant
If you liked what Disney did to Star Wars - you will probably like "BG3".

Have fun. :)

...It's Lent, so I'm trying to be nice.

I'm not a Star Wars fan, its wannabe Star Trek and one of the worst most boring Sci Fi setting out there. It stopped being interesting the minute Princess Leia traded in the golden bikini for that white glorified burka. Jabba the Hutt is the true hero of Star Wars, fuck everyone else.

Disney can mutiliate it however they want, they can't make it worse then it was.

V_K

Arcane
Marketing it as Baldur's Gate 3 have caused the expected nerd rage, but I actually think it might turn out the best Div:OS game yet. Having a DnD ruleset will go a great length to constrain Larian's "everything and the kitchen sink" approach to systems design, so character building may actually end up functional. And hopefully DnD will also mean no more procedurally generated loot (though that might be fabulously optimistic).

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
If we convince ourselves the BG2 expansion is bg3 then I can actually contribute to this thread. Otherwise I can't think of anything. I'm glad my thread was good enough to copy though.

barghwata

Savant
BG3 hasn't even been released yet so it's stupid to decide whether you "love" it or "hate" before it's even out...... if there's anything to love about it, it's all the butthurt and nerd rage it caused among BG fanboys and codexers and there's still more to come, it's gonna be glorious

:evilcodex:

Last edited:

Gyor

Savant
If we convince ourselves the BG2 expansion is bg3 then I can actually contribute to this thread. Otherwise I can't think of anything. I'm glad my thread was good enough to copy though.

I prefer to think of it as a vast improvement and correction of an injustice. Although Throne of Bhaal was my favourite of the original series.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Remember that back in old days the IE engine were considered to be some kind of mockery of crpgs by the Fallout-Arcanum, turned-based dominant crowd. As such, it seems as if this original mentality as well disappeared into the archaeological foundations of the Codex ; if we were to be still purists, and operate purges, we might be left with about 10-20 active members on the site. Which is exactly what we need, of course ; it would allow this place to become a True Dump, in which a bunch of old cunts say the same thing again and again and again. Wondrous, Truly Conservative. It remains to be seen how the old crowd would welcome the new focus on turn-based gameplay of recent years. It wouldn't make sens to project their criteria of judgement 20 years later. In fact the continuation of franchises through the decades, seem to be purely a marketing process. BG3 could be named Divinity 3. What difference would it make? A lot less shitty posts, no doubt

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
What exactly from Pirates of Realmspace is married into BG3? It sure ain't the cheesy music? I doubt you get to space battle nautiloids. Buggy combats?
Pirates? Yarrrrr!!!

passerby

Arcane
I wouldn't even consider playing these insanely slow Larian turn based rpgs, if not for cheat engine speedhack, thank god for that.

While I prefer RTwP in principle, AD&D system is more like a puzzle, or card game ( with scrolls, artefacts, abilities and memorised spells in place of cards ) and less of a tactical simulation.
So realtime wouldn't bring much to the table, other then speed of resolution, which can be dealt with a speedhack ( which should be an ingame setting for fucks sake ).
So after initial disapointment about the lack of RTwP mode, I've got over it, after all it's an adaptation of TB system and there is a speedhack to deal with the worst aspect of it.

It's more Larian style TB for someone who will be in the mood for that, for more IE type experience there is Pathfinder, so it's all fine and looks alright.
They should have called it Baldur's Gate: Subtitle though, just like they had Divinity: Original Sin, not Divinity 3 but it's easily ignored.

Yosharian

Arcane

I rate this post fabulously optimistic. But I do agree with some points.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Remember that back in old days the IE engine were considered to be some kind of mockery of crpgs by the Fallout-Arcanum, turned-based dominant crowd.

Yes, I remember and commented on it recently as well. It wasn't just that BG wasn't TB a la Goldbox, but that its campaign wasn't reactive enough (C&C). Also, its dialogue and setting were considered inferior, and are.

As such, it seems as if this original mentality as well disappeared into the archaeological foundations of the Codex;

Remnants exist. Or rather, diamonds in the rough.

if we were to be still purists, and operate purges, we might be left with about 10-20 active members on the site.

Post-purge, you build numbers back up (making sure people know "the rules").

Which is exactly what we need, of course ; it would allow this place to become a True Dump, in which a bunch of old cunts say the same thing again and again and again. Wondrous, Truly Conservative.

This is one reason I built a blog: no forum upheld strict standards. Imagine ONE "cunt" saying the same things over and over again, and still maintaining a solid readership. That's where I'm at.

It remains to be seen how the old crowd would welcome the new focus on turn-based gameplay of recent years.

Old crowd, veterans, and people with cultivated palates don't equate Jagged Alliance 2, Silent Storm or ToEE TB with Larian/Divinity TB. There is a yawning gulf between the games.

In fact the continuation of franchises through the decades, seem to be purely a marketing process.

Sad but true.

BG3 could be named Divinity 3. What difference would it make? A lot less shitty posts, no doubt

Less money for the developer and publisher. Less fame, less fortune. You won't be forgotten if you make a Baldur's Gate game, and do it passably well in mainstream estimation.

Aemar

Arcane
BG3 is an unwanted child, the product of a rape involving Divinity Original Sin and Dragon Age. It is merely identifying itself as Baldur's Gate 3 (franchise dysphoria), even though the truth is quite obvious.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
BG3 is an unwanted child, the product of a rape involving Divinity Original Sin and Dragon Age. It is merely identifying itself as Baldur's Gate 3 (franchise dysphoria), even though the truth is quite obvious.
Wrong thread bro

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
This is one reason I built a blog: no forum upheld strict standards. Imagine ONE "cunt" saying the same things over and over again, and still maintaining a solid readership. That's where I'm at.
Hmmm.... pity i suck a vid editing because...

One cunt can make a difference (no offense)

(that look on his face.... HAMBURGER RUN!!)

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I was a pretty huge spelljammer fan. While no one i knew would play it i did collect All i could including online sites. The piece in that video that intrigues me is the nautiloid ship. The transportation tentacles of that transport into stasis pods and a tadpole pool for ceremorphosis infiltration is a damn nifty idea for getting boots on the ground. I had thought it took longer than shown and i'd have to go back to my 2e abd 3e books to see.

the tentacles on the ship apoear to do considerable structural damage and could be urilized in ship to ship combat. Again, i don't recall them being able to di such in 2e. Such bio-transport would apply to other jammers imho like mindspiders and such. That makes boring ship to ship combat of just "creature-shaped" ships obsolete and living ships (which seems more likely considering the huge legendary spelljammer is a living ship) more intriguing.

Perhaps there will be some content in this game or its a bridge to make a spelljamming game later on.

I collect but i haven't actively played since 2e so this lore is more line a museum piece-fantasy history hoarding.

Gyor

Savant
I love BG 3 because it gives KS of the superior game, Pathfinder WoR, to get a surge in backers.

I've pointed out I basically won 3 times over because 1) BG3 is turned based FR 5e game which is what I wanted 2) it drove RTwP fans to back WotR causing a moderate spike 3) WotR has a turn based mode baked right in with enhanced features. I win! I win! I win!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom