Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate 3 Panel From Hell 2 - Patch 4 Reveal

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Baldur's Gate 3; David Walgrave; Larian Studios; Nick Pechenin; Swen Vincke

There hasn't been much news about Baldur's Gate 3 since December, when the game received its third patch. That changed last week when Larian announced a new Panel From Hell event in order to reveal details about the upcoming fourth patch, this time featuring Swen alongside Larianites David Walgrave and Nick Pechenin as well as lead D&D rules designer Jeremy Crawford. Broadcast yesterday, Panel From Hell 2 turned out to be both longer and more straightforward than the previous one. It began with an introduction to some of the changes that will be introduced in the new patch, including the option to make dialogue stat checks less likely to fail repeatedly, new and improved cinematics (including for speaking with the dead), and a variety of quality of life and UI improvements. That was followed by an interlude where it was announced that the Larian empire has expanded once more with the acquisition of Guildford-based studio Turbulenz, who have been assisting with the game's development.

After that was done, the main highlight of the new patch was revealed - the addition of the Druid class to Baldur's Gate 3. Larian are placing a large emphasis on the druid's shapeshifting abilities, with characters able to do everything you might expect in their animal forms, both in and out of combat. To demonstrate the new class and some of the patch's other new features, the panel concluded with a lengthy 70 minute gameplay stream, in which Swen's party took on a powerful swamp hag who had kidnapped a local peasant woman. Spoiler: It didn't end well.

Larian have also put together a new trailer for the druid class. As for when we'll be able to play as one ourselves, the patch was originally supposed to be released this week, but had to be delayed to next week due to some last minute QA issues.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
So they spent the EA money on fancy sets and cows? Oh I forgot and ugly cinematic scenes, cause let's not forget that ugly cinematic scenes are the reason why BG was a good game.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Looks fine to me.
TB-games never look especially exciting in videos, what do you expect?

I prefer normal gameplay videos over the "let's play!" style ones, though... way too much blah blah.

Seriously hope that they change the icons - but they look so draft-like and generic I am optimistic that they are placeholders.

Gargaune

Magister
Jesus Christ, you could probably have a made a full little indie RPG for what they spent on this show. It is a show at this point, replete with props, makeup, musical numbers and cows.

P.S. All that prep and they still had mic troubles! :lol:

Miserable Panda

Educated
I hope money for these kind of events comes from Wizards of the Coast or Hasbro, it would be a shame if Larian spends a lot of its resources in these announcements

BBMorti

Arcane
Are they catering to furries in our christian BG3? Why was there a cow? If it takes them 4 months to ad a furry class when will this game release?

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Booba's Gate

Screen-Shot-2021-02-18-at-9-57-07-pm.png

Testownia

The Druid class looks very promising, to be honest. Probably the first RPG where shape shifting actually switches up the gameplay to a significant degree.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The Druid class looks very promising, to be honest. Probably the first RPG where shape shifting actually switches up the gameplay to a significant degree.

We'll see. The amount of freedom turning into a bird or a fish gives in PnP would be impossible to reproduce in a video game. If all they give us here in return for turning into a bird the ability to "climb" unclimbable ledges and attack things with claws... its a far cry from what you get in PnP.

InternalRevenue

Educated

We'll see. The amount of freedom turning into a bird or a fish gives in PnP would be impossible to reproduce in a video game. If all they give us here in return for turning into a bird the ability to "climb" unclimbable ledges and attack things with claws... its a far cry from what you get in PnP.
And also a far cry from what you usually get from video game druids: a different skin and stats and that's it.

hilfazer

Scholar
Didn't watch anything from that panel (to not spoil myself) except for Alina Gingertail (4:26):love:

Dr Schultz

Augur

And also a far cry from what you usually get from video game druids: a different skin and stats and that's it.

I think you are both right.
It is safe to say that there has never been a softwarehouse committed as Larian in replicating the open-ended nature of tabletop RPGs (their most defining feature if you ask me). The work they've made for the Druid class in BG3 speaks for itself...
On the other hand, videogames are always videogames. You can't simply have the same amount of freedom you have in a tabletop RPG.
This is probably the best result we can hope for...

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Skipping over the trailer it seems like they didn't rework the awfull dialogue system yet, where you have to reload when you want to make a skillcheck with a character who is not the leader of the conversation.
Absolutely baffling, since this should be their number one priority. They changed a lot of good stuff last patch, while this one has glaring omissions like that.

The hag quest they are showcasing there is the one that made me ragequit the beta. The scripting was so broken that the boss never spawned for me.

I guess they said that this patch will have a lot of back end changes.
But looking over lists that are fluctuating on the net for probable patch notes the entire test seems like a waste of time.

P5SHoTO.png

This isn't even worth going over point by point, since all of it is shit.
The only thing here that makes the game remotely better is Pathfinding and UI Improvements, and that is vague as fuck.

Overall this made me more pessimistic about the game, but the full patch notes aren't out yet.
Also it looks like they significantly buffed the Druid, which would be hilarious as Moon Druid is one of the most notoriously overpowered classes from 5e.
If they increase the power further this might be the Tier 0 class from BG3. The mechanics currently favor it decently well, as you can easily long rest after every major fight.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom