Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Discussion in 'Larian Studios' started by Belegarsson, May 30, 2019.

1. Elex Arbiter

Elex
    if the players want to throw apple at a dragon i will allow them to roll for it. imagine if he crit i will describe the dragon chocking after shallowing the apple.

then the dragon will grab the player fly up 120 feet and let it go.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. holla_cabezas_de_mierda Arcane

holla_cabezas_de_mierda
    https://www.pcgamer.com/baldurs-gate-3-will-combine-the-best-of-divinity-and-dandd-5th-edition/

Swen "You miss a lot in D&D—if the dice are bad, you miss," he says. "That doesn't work well in a videogame. If I do that, you're going to review it and say it's shit."

Larian and swen can't control themselves. Just like they promised two "funny" Larian joke responses in every conversation choice, they will implement environmental damage exploding barrels/puddles in every single encounter. he will tell his designers there must be at least "X" number of exploding puddles or barrels or whatever, and "X" number of ledges to jump up on, and "X" number of boxes to stack in every encounter, because Swen does not know how to limit himself once he has what to him is a good idea. He just has a nerdgasm and spazes out, spittle flying everywhere.

He thinks the more times you use the idea the better it becomes. The more times you say "cheese" the funnier it is. The more exploding barrels, the more fun it creates. That is how things work. If something is "Fun" then you can assign it a number like lets say "6" and then each time you implement it you can multiply the fun by that factor. Thats how fun and humor work to swen.

So if dipping his balls in fire is '6' on the fun scale, then doing it 800 times means he had 6(800)=4800 fun. That is how you design games and that is how you design magic items and humor.... or anything really. He trademarked and patented it.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    • retadred retadred x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    retarded rpgcodex doomer interpretation: "OMG YOU CAN NEVER MISS!"
    likely reality: easy mode will make it easier to hit

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Elex Arbiter

Elex
    They house rule in stuff like advantage from elevation.

probably they also add flaking variant rule.

so both ranged and melee attack are easier to hit.

• :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Ontopoly Hater of Larian

Ontopoly
    That's not what I said at all. This is historical revisionism.

• Salute Salute x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. holla_cabezas_de_mierda Arcane

holla_cabezas_de_mierda
    dude asked a question, I answered. All that extra shit you added, I said nothing about the choice at all.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Swen dabbing on BG boomers

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Harthwain Magister

Harthwain
    Reminder: Swen was missing a lot during the gameplay reveal... Just saying.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. FranticDistortion Learned

FranticDistortion
    I like how it became important, the moment we learned it won't be featured.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. holla_cabezas_de_mierda Arcane

holla_cabezas_de_mierda
    if any item of random clothing or anything u pick up off the ground can do 1d4 damage, the same as a dagger, what is the point of having a throwing dagger or knife or any of that shit at all? Just throw random shit for 1d4 damage. Why throw both boots anyway? Throw 1 at a time. Throw a sock, then a boot, then the other sock, then the other boot, then the other sock. And since it takes less time than an attack, you can do it all in one round. Take out a umber hulk in a single round with just your footwear. Then move on to your pants and underwear.

Better than actually fucking around with a bastard sword, which takes a full round to use... Just start throwing clothes and pine cones, a dead cat, who needs weapon smiths, or sharpened edges or balanced throwing axes..just start flinging random shit all around. Maybe make feat out of it, "Tantrum Thrower" "Table Tosser" "Clothes Tornado", fire chicken wings for 1d4+1 damage, don't even fuck around with Blacksmiths, they are a Gnome conspiracy anyway. Anything is better than steel, just grab and throw bro. Grab and throw.

• (autism) x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • incline x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    these are good ideas

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. FranticDistortion Learned

FranticDistortion
    No it shouldn't be realistic. Monk fisting dragon to death is not realistic. Warrior's swings doing more damage than giant stones and fireballs is not realistic. 4 adventurers wiping hundreds of monsters is not realistic. Go play survival game if you want realism. There is not a single RPG that pulled it well and i hope they stop trying, because it's boring as fuck. And he already stated that item throws do 1d4 max, learn to read.

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • That's an Elephant That's an Elephant x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. FranticDistortion Learned

FranticDistortion
    Your answer was retarded thou.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Elex Arbiter

Elex
    A good question to ask is what kind of rng use bg3 seed based? Save scumming a fight will be possible?

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    savescummers deserve the death penalty

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Up Yours Up Yours x 1
    • Absolutely Haram Absolutely Haram x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Elex Arbiter

Elex
    The point is proficiency.
    You don’t have proficiency with improvised weapons.
    Unless you have the tavern brawler feat.

• Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Anonona Learned

Anonona
    And yet as we have seen on the presentation, it still follows PnP rules. Not only that is quite an old interview, it doesn't match up with the actual footage. The only thing that they added is, as Elex said, the height advantage, which I think they did because in PnP certain actions gain advantage if the GM decided so, and height is good as a factor to decide ranged attack advantage.

But in the rules, a throwing knife does more damage than an improvised weapon, and so does any other real weapon. You won't kill much by just throwing random shit at the enemy, it is more a desperate tactic or a low level one when HP is still low and you don't have many weapons at your disposal. And if it still bothers you, it is a D&D e5 issue, not a Larian one, so it is understandable. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't 3.5 also has rules for improvised weapons? I think you took attack roll penalties but could use anything as weapon and it was up to the GM to determine the damage, but it actually did more damage as you just took the damage value of a weapon comparable in size and shape. I just cannot agree on this been an issue

• Agree Agree x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Naveen Arcane Patron

Naveen
    RE: day/night cycle

A day/night cycle is like one of the easiest things to pull off, you just need to know how colors work; it's literally just a dark blue-violet glaze on top. And it's the same both for 2d and 3d, although I guess it would be more complicated with modern graphics and many sources of light. But really, I made this in 5 minutes:

1. Random BG internet picture:

[​IMG]

2. My own lazy, cheap night version:

[​IMG]

3. How it's done:

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

Same with BG3:

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And if you want this to affect the shadow mechanics in some way, just add a multiplier to whatever bonus you got from the daylight shadow, like 1.5, and that's it.

• Brofist x 3
    • decline x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Useful x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    And what's the point of it if nothing actually changes?
    I guarantee if BG3 had a cosmetic-only day/night cycle you fags would be crying that it's cosmetic only.

• Agree x 9
    • Disagree x 5
    • Brofist x 1
    • Up Yours x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Mazisky Magister

Mazisky
    Stop trying to get Swen attention constantly, please. It's unrequited love. Give up and go on, there are plenty of men in this world.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • butthurt butthurt x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Naveen Arcane Patron

Naveen
    I said you could add a multiplier to the current value (whatever it may be) of the daylight shadows if you want it to be relevant (so instead of +3 shadow or whatever, it's a +5 when at night.) It's an if-then argument; I'm not a coder, but I suspect that may take just a few lines and minutes of work. Remove NPCs routines when at night, and make most of them stay at home. Close some doors. Add some nightlife sound effects, remove the daylight background chatter, and that's it. You have created an easy illusion of night with gameplay effects. These are not some deep changes to the source code. If they don't want to add them because, for whatever reason, this interferes with something else (some people have mentioned multiplayer), then alright, but it's not because it's hard work or difficult as some posters have implied.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • No No x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Kirkpatrick Arbiter

Kirkpatrick
    To be worth of bother, that guy in the top right should have sex or something in the bushes in the bottom screen.

^ Top  
  23. Nortar Prophet Patron

Nortar
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Why, thank you for proving my point that the only reason for such a retarded implementation of day-night cycle is to make player's eyes bleed by forcing them to squint half of the time.

• Brofist x 2
    • Okily Dokily! x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • That's an Elephant x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    Damage from throwing random objects should be pretty low and modified by target's size and of course object thrown, its weight, etc. Throwing normal boot at medium rare sized humanoid should IMO only deal actual damage on crit, but it should still confer some disadvantages to the target on hit and might be worthwhile in some situations.

I don't know how it is handled in PnP DnD TBH.

^ Top  
  25. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    Not having a RTWP is really dumb/lazy.
    My favorite feature in dnd crpg is the RTWP.

I'm very butthurt not having it in BG3. I like to express my opiniouns.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.