Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Harthwain

Magister
most of the public is not expecting a game that is in any way similar to it.
Then they shouldn't have called it Baldur's Gate, plain and simple.
I agree, bg2 should have been called something else because it didn't take place in baldur's gate.
It should be called Shadows of Amn, but the general audience would be too dumb to realize that it's a sequel to Baldur's Gate.
Baldur's Gate 2 was literally called "Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn", indicating it takes places in Amn, while also being a sequel to Baldur's Gate 1. That was the whole point. It made sense.

Baldur's Gate 3 being called Baldur's Gate 3 wouldn't be much of a problem, if we knew what's the direct link between BG3 and the other games in the series. But, supposedly, there IS a connection. We just don't know what the connection is in detail:

We really don’t want to spoil anything but we wouldn’t call it Baldur’s Gate 3 if there wouldn’t be a link", he explained. "Let me just say that we touch upon the story of [Baldur's Gate] 1 & 2 in meaningful ways, there are returning characters and what happened in BG 1/2/[Throne of Bhaal] leads to what happens into BG3. You won’t necessarily see that at the start of the adventure but you will quickly understand once you get further into the game.

Vatnik Wumao
But, supposedly, there IS a connection. We just don't know what the connection is in detail:
We really don’t want to spoil anything but we wouldn’t call it Baldur’s Gate 3 if there wouldn’t be a link", he explained. "Let me just say that we touch upon the story of [Baldur's Gate] 1 & 2 in meaningful ways, there are returning characters and what happened in BG 1/2/[Throne of Bhaal] leads to what happens into BG3. You won’t necessarily see that at the start of the adventure but you will quickly understand once you get further into the game.
Fair enough, although I'm guessing that this is all PR bullshit.

robinox

Educated
The game starts with the main character captured by mind flayers and thrown into the midst of the blood war between devils and demons in hell. I think we can safely say that the "not too over the top" ship has already sailed.
That, and the party seemingly descending into underdark at lvl3 or something, is making me fear the worse indeed. We'll see.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I agree, bg2 should have been called something else because it didn't take place in baldur's gate.
It should be called Shadows of Amn, but the general audience would be too dumb to realize that it's a sequel to Baldur's Gate.
Baldur's Gate 2 was literally called "Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn", indicating it takes places in Amn, while also being a sequel to Baldur's Gate 1. That was the whole point. It made sense.

It would do that if it was called Shadows of Amn: A Sequel to Baldur's Gate. The title implies that the game take place in Baldur's Gate, and Amn being involved in some way.

Vatnik Wumao

It would do that if it was called Shadows of Amn: A Sequel to Baldur's Gate. The title implies that the game take place in Baldur's Gate, and Amn being involved in some way.
No, since Baldur's Gate as the name of the series represents a linguistic construction which showcases the whole (a.i. the Forgotten Realms setting) through a symbolic part; it has nothing to do with the plot of the game itself.

Forgot what this phenomenon is called, but it's the same thing as talking about the 'Kremlin' instead of the Russian government.

ChildInTime

Learned
What I think each time I open this thread.

fmprju0t0th51.jpg

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In

No, since Baldur's Gate as the name of the series represents a linguistic construction which showcases the whole (a.i. the Forgotten Realms setting) through a symbolic part; it has nothing to do with the plot of the game itself.

Forgot what this phenomenon is called, but it's the same thing as talking about the 'Kremlin' instead of the Russian government.

Baldur's Gate wasn't a symbolic part of the setting back when the game was released. There is one short paragraph about it in AdnD campaign guide. Waterdeep was THE city back then.

Vatnik Wumao
If "Baldur's Gate III" is the worst thing that's wrong with this game
If you enjoy the gameplay style, sure. I just don't like someone calling one thing as being another.

Baldur's Gate wasn't a symbolic part of the setting back when the game was released. There is one short paragraph about it in AdnD campaign guide. Waterdeep was THE city back then.
It was for the setting as pertaining to the first game's plot, not for Forgotten Realms in general.

Prime Junta

If you enjoy the gameplay style, sure. I just don't like someone calling one thing as being another.

What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes
Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name,
And for that name which is no part of thee
Take all myself.

Harthwain

Magister
Technically you're correct, but in practice the main title is there to mark it's part of the series. It's just unfortunate that in this particular case the main title is the name of the place that doesn't even appear in the game (talking about BG2). Ironically enough, we will see Baldur's Gate in BG3.

The Real Fanboy
The issue is that it's dishonest marketing, Longes. It's not a Baldur's Gate game, but a different CRPG set in the same Forgotten Realms setting whose labeling as Baldur's Gate only serves to capitalize on the brand recognition of the previous games and to mislead the public.
Maybe future sequels or spin-offs could have the subtitle ‘A Baldur’s Gate Story’ like Disney films and that would keep really old fans happy?

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes
Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name,
And for that name which is no part of thee
Take all myself.
That's cringe dude.
Shakespeare was a faggot.
The original storyfaggot.

Readher

Savant
I'm already afraid of the price. Probably $60 which will end up being bonkers 250 in PLN with no third-party sellers. I'm definitely not paying over 200 PLN for any game.

Vatnik Wumao
The issue is that it's dishonest marketing, Longes. It's not a Baldur's Gate game, but a different CRPG set in the same Forgotten Realms setting whose labeling as Baldur's Gate only serves to capitalize on the brand recognition of the previous games and to mislead the public.
Maybe future sequels or spin-offs could have the subtitle ‘A Baldur’s Gate Story’ like Disney and that would keep really old fans happy?
But it's not a Baldur's Gate story. It's a Forgotten Realms story.

Anyhow, I'm not even a big fan of the original BG titles; this just grinds my gears out of philosophical pedantry.

The Real Fanboy
Maybe future sequels or spin-offs could have the subtitle ‘A Baldur’s Gate Story’ like Disney and that would keep really old fans happy?
But it's not a Baldur's Gate story. It's a Forgotten Realms story.
Doesn't that weird mind flayer octopus ship crash outside Baldur's Gate tho?

Elex

Arbiter

Baldur's Gate 3 being called Baldur's Gate 3 wouldn't be much of a problem, if we knew what's the direct link between BG3 and the other games in the series. But, supposedly, there IS a connection. We just don't know what the connection is in detail:
Baldur’s gate 3 is the sequel of baldur’s gate: descent into avernus

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
I'm already afraid of the price. Probably $60 which will end up being bonkers 250 in PLN with no third-party sellers. I'm definitely not paying over 200 PLN for any game.
I've never bought a Larian game.
Just pirate it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom