Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Baldur's Gate 3 screenshots accidentally leaked, appears to be isometric and turn-based

old_man_by_barnulf-d488d6k.jpg

Damn, where did you find Crispy 's photo?

MrMarbles

Cipher
It's like Larian is suffering from some kind of Orwellian psychosis. Their job was to make Baldur's Gate, BALDUR'S GATE, not more D:OS.

You can't just say "guys check it out it's the forgotten realms and the city has the name so we must be making Baldur's Gate lolol" when you ditch all the other basics like a modular world map, combat that isn't based on clicking all your generic-looking skill icons in order, RTwP, classic UI and a toned down aesthetic where armor looks sensible. It really bothers me how we keep getting these shit remakes of old classics because developers seemingly never sat down and thought about what made the originals great.

Deleted Member 22431

It's like Larian is suffering from some kind of Orwellian psychosis. Their job was to make Baldur's Gate, BALDUR'S GATE, not more D:OS.
He doesn't give a fuck about BG fans. They have no self-esteem and they represent a minority. He knows most players didn't play and will never play BG again. That's his target audience right there.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Since this will be pure TB are the old fans really upset it isn't RTWP? I'd think they'd want turn based.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yes, obviously making a successor to BG2 means abandoning everything learned during the past two decades; obviously everything after infinity engine has only been decline.
Fuck that.
I'm currently replaying BG1 and liking it but I can only stand some of the issues because of nostalgia and the realisation that 'they didn't have that back then'.

If they copy/paste 80% of D:OS2, fix the annoying armor/shielding thing, tone down Sven's surfaces fetish and replace Divinity's jokes, gimmicks and itemization with D&D-fantasy legendary items and storytelling; this'll easily be GOTY.

Last edited:

Ol'man

Educated
What's the problem with "Larian" itemization? It's a serious question, I never played D:OS 1 and 2 because I can't stand the writing and I never managed to go past the first few levels.

Larian itemization: 2-handed sword of sparks and healing - very diablo-like, each name just represents some stat boost

BG1/2 itemization: Berserker's Edge - Paragraph about weapon history and unique effects.

Kind of a question of how strict they are with 5e itemization.

You can only have three attuned magic items and it is extremely rare to find any that add + damage, etc. beyond +1. That sort of think (+1d6 fire damage) quickly breaks the math (and the designers even balance the game without factoring in magic items).

Ol'man

Educated
I will only play if the game has romances in it. It's like a big deal for me.
Wonder if it will be like PoE2 where every male companion, in particular, is aiming lustfully at the violation of my butthole two minutes after joining the party.

So, basically a toned down version of Ed Greenwood's lore endorsed by Mike Mearls.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom