Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance series released on PC

Baron Dupek

Arcane
review keys to any media outlet or influencer.
If they're worth anything (people, not keys) then they should pay for them from their own pockets.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
$30 for a port of a 20 year old game. :hmmm:

Imagine if this were 2001 and someone was charging $30 for a port of Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord.

Butter

Arcane
Patron

Imagine if this were 2001 and someone was charging $30 for a port of Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord.
Maybe Sir-Tech should have done that. They wouldn't have had to put advertisements in Wizardry 8.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I remember when this game was new. I had no idea what it was about, but since Baldur’s Gate was a familiar name, I urged my friend to buy it (in thinking it could be something similiar… yeah, it wasn’t).

It was semi fun in co-op (leaving the pal surrounded by enemies and rushing to the loot chests, and such) after a few beers. But I can’t really figure out why anyone would buy it now, let alone on PC.

Everything has an audience, I suppose.

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity

Um, actually it was ported to Square Enix, beginning the Final Fantasy series. Sold for $50 each. And it's neutered Wizardry - it's still blob-combat displayed differently... but it didn't bring over the actual dungeon-crawling. The JRPG's "version" of "dungeon crawling" was grinding random encounters on an open world map.
And yet it sold for more than a hypothetical $30 port of Wizardry 1 lol.

I'd say buy this on sale. For sure. TBH they might be setting that price up and then putting in on sale over the holidays.

It's worth playing and IMO $15 is okay.. But if you've already played it before, then, forget about it lol.

THAT BEING SAID - Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance was a COUCH CO-OP game. I don't even think I played it solo back in the day. Played with roommate. And that's just a huge difference in... atmosphere... compared to playing multiplayer online. (Couch Co-op = one or both of you are trolls and block doorways all the time... But then you can punch your friend so it's even) I actually played as far back as X-Men Legends with him.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I played this a little today. For its crazy price, it's about as lazy as a port can be without straight-up breaking the game
Check https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Baldur's_Gate:_Dark_Alliance in a few weeks, maybe people will figure out how to get around shit.

But perhaps it really is just a bad port.. because they ported it not just to the PC but also the PS4/5, Xbox One, etc. And it was on the PS2 & Xbox & Gamecube back then. Note, it was getting :4/5:reviews back in 2001 - including those original Xbox/Gamecube ports.

Right now, it looks like even the CONSOLE ports are getting like :3/5: . Part of the complaints are that it's boring single-player.. but well, that's what happens when you port a couch co-op game. Besides that, it seems like BG:DA was a shitty port starting from old to new gen consoles lol.

BUT ALSO SOME HISTORY
  • BGDA and BGDA2 are different in one aspect:
    • Snowblind developed BGDA. Black Isle developed BGDA2.
  • Since Snowblind was not involved in BGDA2, they sued Interplay for using the BGDA engine. (At the same time, Interplay also had Vivendi problems)
    • Interplay's recourse to all the problems? Closing Black Isle in 2003.
  • The following games/projects were canceled because of Black Isle closing:
    • BG3 - Dark Hound,
    • BG: Dark Alliance 3
    • Fallout 3.
  • The best irony: Slam Dunk Feargus managed to get CD Projekt to port BG:DA to the PC back in 2003. Obviously that was canceled.
This is how how the old crew fell apart. Because of the court.

Kruyurk

Learned
I remember buying this game second hand on Xbox in a video games store when I was a teen. They only displayed the empty boxes on the shelves and put the disc in it at checkout, to prevent theft. The retadred store person put a PS2 copy in the box at checkout. Thanksfully teen-me was already pretty smart and had the insight to open the box while waiting for the bus, so I could go back to the store get the correct copy and avoid a monumental butthurt once home. The disc had some damages causing the game to sometimes crash in certain areas.

Thanks dematerialized games for making this store go out of business.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Was that really a big success to fund sequel?

Tried first game and control was weird. I mean there's Bard's Tale 2004 who already got better control scheme iirc...

It's weird, because I remember the two Dark Alliance being mostly dismissed as some poor man's Diablos and worthless console trash back in the days. but I learned just recently that people on Playstation actually fucking loved this shit and it even got good critical reception at the time.

EDIT - Turns out I already talked about this weird disconnect between my memory of it and its current reputation in the first page of this very thread.
Age is failing me, I'm afraid.

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
It's weird, because I remember the two Dark Alliance being mostly dismissed as some poor man's Diablos and worthless console trash back in the days. but I learned just recently that people on Playstation actually fucking loved this shit and it even got good critical reception at the time.

EDIT - Turns out I already talked about this weird disconnect between my memory of it and its current reputation in the first page of this very thread.
Age is failing me, I'm afraid.

Even "3/5 - it's OK" games from the 6th generation are great compared to what is released now. Games that were barely 4/5 are amazing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom