Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Interview at Sorcerer's Place

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"GemRB is a portable open-source implementation of Bioware's Infinity Engine."

[...]
Major todos

• iwd2: 3ed combat, spellbooks, leveling
  • pst floating text, avatars, levelup fixes
  • keyboard shortcuts (work only from gamecontrol), windowing sanity
  • opengl renderer, empty-frame-free animation system
  • proper timing (timestop partiality)
  • and much more (see also the TODO file and the SF tracker)
Right now there isn't even an idea if, when, or how multiplayer will be implemented.

That is a nice effort, really, but what the EE does is, let's say, more complete ;)

Also, making a PC game run on a tablet is one thing, making it actually playable is something completely different.
Trust me, creating software for tablets/smartphones is much more than just porting the PC part. For example, you have to create whole new interfaces, or the gameplay is going to suck.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That is a nice effort, really, but what the EE does is, let's say, more complete ;)

Also, making a PC game run on a tablet is one thing, making it actually playable is something completely different.
Trust me, creating software for tablets/smartphones is much more than just porting the PC part. For example, you have to create whole new interfaces, or the gameplay is going to suck.

Uhuh, only there are people playing complete playthroughs in the forum. You're right though, tablets suck.
Whoever thought it was touch interfaces were a good idea should have been thrown off victoria falls.

crafthack

Educated
I imagine combat would be annoying too, having to keep your finger on the screen and finger your enemies to death, and what about pausing?

Marceror

Novice
Yeah talk about an almost unscrewable scenario; they just had to make some tweaks, add their stupid NPCs, add their extra content (which sounded nice) and make sure it ran on tablets and they still screwed it up! They couldnt even keep their deadlines! oh well, I guess I will just look foward till someone does a mod for the game to run on tablets and hope it sells at it should...

The tablet play looks torturous. I'll be sticking with my mouse, keyboard, and large monitor, thank you very much.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I wonder why no one has built yet a touchscreen on the back of these devices so that you don't touch the screen. I guess it would require training, and anything the requires brain plasticity is too much to expect.

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
lol i was more interested in the BG2 Redux video that came up after this steaming pile of tablet port clip was over...

now that is a DA:O mod i can get behind.

Oesophagus

Arcane
Now, I don't give a flying fuck about this moneygrab, but one thing I don't get: Why'd they make the world map using MSpaint?

waywardOne

Arcane
Let's hijack this thread.

Is the tablet format totally, absolutely incompatible with crpgs, especially if it's turn-based?

Murk

Arcane
Turn based would probably work fine if all it takes are a series of clicks --- then again, turn based works just fine with a d-pad or arrow keys, but real time is a different story. I suppose a working interface could be made but the mouse is so simple. The ratio of physical movement to screen movement can be customized so your hand barely moves but the cursor does, yet with touch screen, you're pretty much poking the damn thing all over.

Enjoy the pause-spamming.

The whole touch screen phenomenon still boggles my mind. Well, not really. The people who really like it prefer their gadgets to be shiny and pretty instead of functional, so... whatever.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
There will be several hours of new game play and new areas.
Which will consist of NPC-"quests", ie. let me fuck you NPC_NAME, since I just listened to your bitching and found you this amulet! And a completely detached, uninspired UNDERDARK combat gauntlet. Both of which will most likely use existing art assets and creatures since Trent's "artists" either do not exist or are completely incompetent. As the screenshots and the new GUI prove.

There will be professional voice acting that, based on what I've heard, far surpasses anything that a fan mod has put out.
OH WOW. MARK MEER. I'M HAVING AN ERECTION. And double wow for a commercial project to surpass fan projects. That's definitely high praise for Beamdog!

There will be new, original and professionally recorded music.
STOP.THE.PRESS! PROFESSIONALLY RECORDED MUSIC!?!?! So did they create a new bgmain.exe since the vanilla one doesn't have room for more music tracks or did they just overwrite existing songs? Or did they *gasp* steal graciously borrow knowledge from modders again?

And further, because Beamdog has access to the source code, they can do things that modders have not been able to do.
Uh-huh. Like BGT-project which hacked the bgmain.exe so that you could listen to the entire bg1 and bg2 soundtracks at appropriate places, even though the .exe didn't originally support anything like that?

You Codexian's are a zany, mad-capped bunch. You masquerade as being RPG lovers, yet, when someone shows a bit of enthusiasm about an RPG development your first, and seemingly only inclination is to try and wipe the floor with them. What an ironic, bizarre existence you cats lead. Really more of a mob, than anything else.
Oh boo-hoo, my precious feelings have been hurt! Why are you so mean to me, Codex? I just wanted to sloppily fellate a D-tier game developer, just like real gaming journalists do, why must you attack me so?

NEWSFLASH: Codex has been plenty exited over many Kickstarter projects. There is no reason to accept this greedy cashgrabbing turd-bucket because there's nothing better available. And yes, Trent comes across as an arrogant asshole which doesn't help at all.

If you actually read, you know, the "words" in my posts here instead of throwing me into one of two highly generalized buckets of either the haters or the fanbois (probably asking for way too much on this, I realize) you'll see that I have not provided any over the top praise of BGEE. I have mentioned that the value proposition of this game is still TBD. I haven't even played the damn thing yet, so how would I know how good it will be. And yes, so the hell what -- I think Gord Marriott's voice acting for Dorn is a particular element of this project that is top rate. If you have a problem with that, you are welcome to eat my shorts.
No, you performed a brown-nosing interview worthy of DORITOS and MOUNTAIN DEW. You didn't ask WHY Beamdog feels the need for micro-transactions, you didn't ask WHY Beamdog didn't actually update the graphics, you didn't ask WHY Beamdog originally insisted on only using their own, shitty, digital download service or WHY they changed their mind - these would all have been good questions. Instead you just went with the typical FANBOI-praise, "ooh ooh, mister, everything is perfect, can I lick your balls a little more, maybe the glitter will remain?"

So for those of us who are don't care about voice acting and have played BG and its various mods numerous times over the years is there anything here worth getting excited over?
As said, the promised improvements to the multiplayer code are the only thing that could make this worth it. Of course, I don't actually trust Trent to deliver, so I'll wait for the retarded iHipster crowd to waste their money on this first and provide some feedback.

He isn't. Obviously not knowing what you're talking about has never stopped anyone here, but seriously, you're embarrassing yourself and suggesting that I'd let shills (paid or otherwise) conduct interviews on my site is personally offensive to me as well. Not that I care, just saying.
No idea who you are,
DUUUUUUUUDE. Critical failure on Codex Lore. :P

waywardOne

Arcane
DUUUUUUUUDE. Critical failure on Codex Lore. :P

I get it, and maybe I wouldn't have been so harsh, but someone -- even Someone -- defending a fluff interview when FAR more important questions need to be asked should be called out.

Failed the lore check but my will save is an automatic 20.

EG

Nullified
He isn't. Obviously not knowing what you're talking about has never stopped anyone here, but seriously, you're embarrassing yourself and suggesting that I'd let shills (paid or otherwise) conduct interviews on my site is personally offensive to me as well. Not that I care, just saying.
No idea who you are...

He's the janitor's mop-boy.

ITZ COMING:

BGEEDownloader.jpg

Hopefully the pre-load won't be encrypted so I can dig around for some lulz in the files (provided they haven't changed the file formats)...

There's a trailer out, too:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Doesn't look that bad as I thought after looking at screenshots... but it's not like it's better from original either. I'll think about purchasing it. Maybe the new content is going to be worth it... but I'm not sure.

Gord

Arcane
Hm, even at 1080p this video seems to suffer from compression.
Ttoo much to judge the qualtiy (i.e. blurriness) of the backgrounds, which I would have liked to compare to the earlier screenshots.

I still don't see the point of this endevour, the extra content isn't worth the additional price-tag imho, and the rest can be had by modding allready.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I know it's nitpicking and I've said this several times, but why in the name of God did they changed the colour of the UI? Do they hate gray? Are they a purple fan? Changing that won't make the game better. It's like they didn't know what they should change in the game, and had to come up with something.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Not only is the color shitty, but it doesn't look like stone and you can see the texture repetition. Looks amateurish.
Strange for an "enhancement".

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
The only thing that interests me about this is the character kit implementation. It's a thing that could actually significantly improve both first BG and first IWD as boring character progression is the main flaw of these games. Of course this should be done with careful rebalancing, otherwise some kits known from BG2 would be ridiculously over or underpowered. So, judging by the quality of the stuff that can be seen on screens and read in the interviews, I'm not holding my breath.

Good god their download service is shitty. Couldn't even connect to the servers yesterday, and today I'm getting 100 *bytes* per second. Good luck against Steam, Beamdog...

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why would anyone buy this for PC?! You can get all IE-Games for 20 bucks in a bundle, for fucks sake!
Additional content, made by Trent's competent team. Plus buying this funds BG3. You gotta want BG3. Why wouldn't you want BG3? Why do you hate freedom, Scrooge?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom