Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Interview at Sorcerer's Place

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
There is zero chance of Oster working on a PS:T remake, thankfully. Wish BG was as safe. Then again, I never liked BG.

So, in other words, EA owns the BG trademark, but lacks the right to actually make new Dungeons and Dragons games set in that universe?

No, no, Hasbro owns BG, AD&D, all of it. Went from Interplay to Atari to them.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
BG III will be awesome! EA will force them to make it an action game, with awesome buttan, co-op multi player, 4 hour single player game, and tons of co-op maps DLC's. GOTY.

GreyViper

Prophet
BG III will be awesome! EA will force them to make it an action game, with awesome buttan, co-op multi player, 4 hour single player game, and tons of co-op maps DLC's. GOTY.
Why does this remind me of Demonstone or Demons Forge?:roll:

godsend1989

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin
Name means nothing if the game its done by idiots.. Gothic 3 Forsaken Gods, Arcania: Gothic 4, Diablo 3 just few examples, this games only had heavy names but shit content.

My point is it doesnt matter if BG 3 will ever be done as long as is made by idiots this franchise could end how it is now, which i doubt, there is a cow to milk.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I really don't get the hate this gets.

This is an edition of a great* game which improves some features of the original game (better multiplayer, widescreen, code cleanup, etc.), will bring it to a wider audience without dumbing it down even the slightest bit, adding content (which does not seem that great, okay, but it's not like every NSC in the BG series was great or very interesting...), improve the moddability of the game a lot, which will hopefully lead to even more good mods than already existing and also adds features (enabling BG2 classes, spells, etc.).

And as they do that for a living, they want some money for it. Where the fuck is anything bad about this?

Yes, some of it is already possible with mods, but in many cases buggy and in every case quite the hassle to get running correctly, especially for the less scripting-affine players. Even if everything of that was possible with mods (which it isn't!), you might as well say GOG completely sucks because they wrap up old games with DosBox and make them easy to use for everyone. For money, oh noez!

If they would get the idea to such an enhanced edition of, say, the Dark Sun games. Just supporting modern hardware, not removing anything, probably add some classes or races. The same game, with some improvements. Would that also be oh so very horrible?

Please, compare this to what has been done to XCOM, Syndicate, Mad TV, Elder Scrolls (I'm talking about the MMO here, Skyrim is actually an okay game), Fallout (Fallout 3 I mean, New Vegas was good), and so on.
I'd rather have three enhanced editions of a great* game than one fucked up sequel...

I do agree, however, that the price is too high. For me, the game is worth that, but selling a 10 years old game for 20$ to someone who is new to the series is a bit.... weird ;)

*Yeah, you don't have to agree, but if you don't, you're wrong. HA!

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I really don't get the hate this gets.
Please, compare this to what has been done to XCOM, Syndicate, Mad TV, Elder Scrolls (I'm talking about the MMO here, Skyrim is actually an okay game), Fallout (Fallout 3 I mean, New Vegas was good), and so on.
The only reason Ostner hasn't made a modern "update" to the game is because that would take actual skills, which is a thing that is in short supply in his team. Using modders's work to make a quick cashgrab is a surer way to riches, so why waste time and effort?

I'd rather have three enhanced editions of a great* game than one fucked up sequel...
Oh, no worries, that's the next item on Trent's check list of fail.

Black_Willow

Arcane
You mean it will be like Dungeon Siege 3?

Also, good thing IE games didn't have multiplayer. Oh wait...

evdk

Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You mean it will be like Dungeon Siege 3?

Also, good thing IE games didn't have multiplayer. Oh wait...
Reading comprehension, how does it work?

Tigranes

Arcane
I wouldn't mind if it looked like they were making any actual improvements. It looks like, on balance, it'll be far worse than properly modded original.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The thing is they would more than likely continue the retarded Bhaal Spawn story. :roll: At least BIS was going in the right direction with it.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The thing is they would more than likely continue the retarded Bhaal Spawn story. :roll: At least BIS was going in the right direction with it.

Well. Maybe? I mean yeah, the Bhaal Spawn story should be done and buried by this point, but isn't it what Baldur's Gate was about? The Black Hound was only going to be called Baldur's Gate III because what the hell name recognition, if I recall correctly. That doesn't seem that good an approach to taking it "in the right direction". Unless you can find clever thematic ties without necessary doing Bhaal Spawn, if you just want to do something with similar gameplay/setting and no significant narrative ties...don't call it Baldur's Gate maybe? I dunno.

evdk

Patron
Black Hound was called BG3 because that was the only way they could've used the D&D license, IIRC. I think Josh said so on the old IPLY boards.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Right, I thought it was something like that, little hazy on the details.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
There is zero chance of Oster working on a PS:T remake, thankfully.
Actually, he already tweeted or posted on the BGEE forums that he got his hands on PST source code. It was in late summer, iirc.

Oh wait, sorry, I may have misread the context of Zed's post. I figured by "remake" he meant a whole new title, like BG3 would be a whole new title. A "remake" as in another "enhanced edition"? I know nothing about that. Though it should be noted that even for an EE re-release you need more than just the source code.

In this thread I make too many carelessly worded statements.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Publishers own videogame properties in general, not devs. BioWare only made the games, Interplay owned all of that stuff. The title, the IP, the content. And they gave all that back up to Atari in a debt-reneging deal, except for "Dark Alliance". Then Atari in turn settled a dispute with Hasbro by handing back the AD&D rights, though unlike the Interplay deal I don't recall ever reading explicitly that they gave up all rights and contents, so it's possible Atari would still have the rights to "contents" (characters and the like) from the originals. I doubt it though.

Anyway, regardless, BioWare never owned dick, certainly not the Baldur's Gate name, so EA has nothing to do with it."

Youa re afukkin' idiot. Many devs own their games. The BG games aside, it's a known FACT that BIO (and now EA obviously) 100% owns ME and DA. ME was published MS origfinally but MS never owned the ME trademark. That was BIO.

BIO also had enoguh clout to take NWN from Interplay despite Interplay crying and Atari got the rights to publish it.

And, there are plenty of other developers who own the trademarks to their games.

It's about money and timing.

Don't be a dumb shit. It fukkin' stupid.

waywardOne

Arcane
I find with BG that in years past I almost got lost in the act of modding my install, as opposed to just playing the game, I would spend hours making sure I had all the best mods and their latest versions, and of course the BG engine with weido is very anal so you can screw up things if you don't install mods in the correct order (graphical mods last etc).

At the least this version will let my ocd rest easy

Hello, shill. What graphical mods are you talking about? This isn't Oblivion, here, because the only gfx mod of any consequence is 1pp, and none of them have anything special to do with install order since 100% of them just overwrite or append.

Which one of the Beamdog devs are you?

You're a fucking moron who needs to stop registering a new account every time BGEE gets a new thread.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Youa re afukkin' idiot. Many devs own their games.

Yip. Never said (or meant to say) otherwise, just painting the "general", most common situation. Hi Volourn.

I need to GTFO this thread. It is the bane of my existence.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom