Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Trailer Released

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Vault Dweller should do a review when the game hits the shelves.

because nothing comes close to them in being so intuitive and well built.

VD, if I suck your cock in every thread ever will you buy me an apple product?

himmy

Arcane
Renewed interest in IE games can lead to pretty good stuff. A lot of awful stuff, sure, but my main argument for being excited about this is that a new generation of people getting into playing Baldur's Gate will at least mean more Kickstarter pledges on related or similar projects.

Unwanted

Sacred_Path

Unwanted
Will buy this as I'm stuck on an Eee PC right now and need something to do, u mad?

I don't think a lower price would have made it worth a small team's while. If profits go toward BG2EE, I'm doubly satisfied.

Apexeon

Arcane
Renewed interest in IE games can lead to pretty good stuff. A lot of awful stuff, sure, but my main argument for being excited about this is that a new generation of people getting into playing Baldur's Gate will at least mean more Kickstarter pledges on related or similar projects.

Amen

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
They couldn't even get the fucking color of the UI right and we are supposed to trust these people with BG3?

waywardOne

Arcane
How's that? 14 years with the original out there (cheaply, as well) and porting it to tablets is supposed to renew interest? I'd like you to back up your assertion (which has been repeated by many others as soon as this project started looking like shit). Exactly how is the mobile audience's attention going to do anything to incline the genre?

Fuck this new generation.

himmy

Arcane
Fuck this new generation.

Basically I can argue my assertion by addressing this one point. You seem to have a very weird, normative idea that everybody who was part of the old generation of gamers are morally superior, or, at least, better fit for these kinds of games and that modern gamers, be them younger PC users, console players or mobile audience are inherently incapable of enjoying this game. That is false for several reasons, one of them being your obvious need to assert your (generation's ) superiority in a way that is not much more intelligent that claiming that the original Pokemons wore better than the second generation. A much more interesting reason, tho, is the fact that, like in any other cultural sector, a wider audience will lead to a blander, less complex mainstream, while keeping both inferior and superior spikes of quality.

Let me give you an example. Just because the music most listened to nowadays on mainstream channels of distribution, such as music televisions, radio stations and, to a certain degree, YouTube is plastic, instantly-catchy, shallow pop has nothing to do with a decline in the quality of musicians or with some make-belief reduction in the audience's ability to enjoy more complex music. It has everything to do with the fact the most popular examples of art forms will always, ALWAYS, be those who use the smallest common denominator as a schematic. The reason Gangnam Style is so popular is because it can be enjoyed from people anywhere in the range of 5 to 60, by both Western and Eastern audiences (and everything in between) and both by teenagers who want to dance spastically on it and hipsters who enjoy it ironically or stoners who are amused by the absurd video. In a world where only people with a certain type of education or upbringing would be the target of musicians, the most popular music would differ greatly. The key to the issue is that, just because the most popular music right now is, let's say, Justin Bieber rand Lady Gaga, does not mean that the spikes in quality disappear. There are still amazing musicians making amazing music right now. The popularity of Justin Bieber didn't lead to Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen, Radiohead, TV on the Radio, The Flaming Lips or Kishi Bashi suddenly dying. Quite the contrary, an easily digested art-form will bring more people to consume that certain art-form, increasing the large pool possible audience. Out of that, quite a few people will start listening to other music as well, ultimately becoming part of a certain niche, while some, who are not that into music in any case, will lose interest in anything not popular this week. So it goes.

It's easy to understand where I'm going with this. There are out there millions of people who did not play video games in the 90s, either because they were too young, or because they perceived as too much of an opaque hobby. But they are, now, playing Call of Duty, Angry Birds or Dishonored. Of-fucking-course the most popular games now are not on the same level of complexity and depth as they were when the only people who owned computers where the ones that were huge geeks, immensely interested in spending hours at a time solving a fucking puzzle. Of course when game developers have to cater to a million "my mums" instead of 10,000 programmers and university students, the most popular games will be silly, flick the button bullshits. But good games still exist, not as much as they used to, but if the last 10 months says anything is that there is still an audience and a will to make this games.

An the people who play Angry Birds and Call of Duty? Well, some of them would really enjoy other sort of games, if they were given the chance. Under a certain amount of guidance or influence, smart kids will start playing first Mass Effect and Skyrim, then Morrowind and Neverwinter Nights and then get into the good stuff. The BG:EE will shine a huge light (it already did) on the game in the media and on gaming sites and out of the million of people who are playing Skyrim and thing is the epitome of RPGs, not a majority, but quite a few of them will end up buying it on GOG, to see what the fuss is all about. Some of them won't even reach the Friendly Arms Inn, getting bored along the way, but some will and will become a part of the fandom of this game.

It is incredibly stupid and arrogant to say that anybody who hasn't played the game back when "they were supposed to" - n.b. I'm pretty sure the definition for that is almost always identical to the period of time when you played it - will not be able to enjoy it. Guess what, this generation is being served mainly mobile and console games, just as kids in the 90s were being served a certain type of game. Everybody is buying into what marketing people are giving them before developing a certain taste.

There is nothing wrong with "this generation". There actually is no such thing as "this generation". It's just that more people are playing games now. And quite a chunk of them can be convinced to play good games, but, hey, it's much easier to be flippant and patronizing. If thing would be nice again, what would we complain about?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
15757.jpg

Basically I can argue my assertion by addressing this one point.

kaizoku

Arcane
The doctors making a KS in order to revive the good old Bioware days?

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
haha that dude doesn't think the first gen of pokemon is better than second gen. seriously what a moron.

waywardOne

Arcane
No one's crying for nostalgia's sake, and you've wasted a lot of time not answering my question. You've done nothing to show that the "talent" at Beamdog can come anywhere close to BG's quality. I know people who could, quite a few who are a generation behind me, but it's not this crew.

Next time, sum up your strawman in fewer words. It'll save everyone time.

(Secondarily, you've still completely failed to connect 'growing the audience' with 'automatic increase in quality'. Fucking logic, how does it work.)

himmy

Arcane
Bottom line: there is no reason to be displeased by the possibility of a growing audience or growing content in BG:EE other than purism that holds some sort of sacred view of the game, instead of seeing the possibilities that might come with more people being exposed to the game.

LittleJoe

Arbiter
Himmy's right, there is no difference between the generations.

What difference does it make wether you play it on PC, ipad,tablet or mobile?

Heck, even back in the day, only a small percentage of kids played RPG's.

Most played stuff like Mario or the sims.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Bottom line: there is no reason to be displeased by the possibility of a growing audience or growing content in BG:EE other than purism that holds some sort of sacred view of the game, instead of seeing the possibilities that might come with more people being exposed to the game.
Let meg guess. Your GotY RPG is Mass Effect 3, you like Call of Duty and loved DA2.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
qm.gif

gsXwc.jpg

himmy

Arcane
Let meg guess. Your GotY RPG is Mass Effect 3, you like Call of Duty and loved DA2.
Never played any Call of Duty game, I haven't played ME3 or DA2. I think ME 1 and 2 were OK games, the first one being only kind of an RPG and the second one being a nice third person shooter. I did play the first DA but didn't really like it all that much, I just found it pretty bland. My 2012 GOTY is Avernum: Escape from the Pit, I guess, but I haven't gotten to play Legend of Grimrock for more than a couple of hours yet, and that looked promising. An on-the spot all-time cRPG top 5 would be 1. PS:T, 2. BG2, 3. Morrowind 4. Arcanum 5. Gothic 2.

Now that we settled that, are you going to accuse me of liking New Coke as well or can we actually talk about BG:EE?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom