Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Trailer Released

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
Gamer who never drew their own dungeon maps on paper due to non-existent automaps can't really know what a real cRPG is about. And players who started their gaming career with Pokemon are hopeless cases anyway. But don't blame those innocent people because of their young age, better be glad that you could experience the Golden Age of roleplaying games.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Gamer who never drew their own dungeon maps on paper due to non-existent automaps can't really know what a real cRPG is about.
Thanks for solving a long time debate on the codex. What is an RPG? A game where you draw maps on paper. Fuck PST, fuck M&M6, fuck Fallout, fuck Arcaum, those are not real cRPGs.

What a dumbfuck.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Gamer who never drew their own dungeon maps on paper due to non-existent automaps can't really know what a real cRPG is about.
Thanks for solving a long time debate on the codex. What is an RPG? A game where you draw maps on paper. Fuck PST, fuck M&M6, fuck Fallout, fuck Arcaum, those are not real cRPGs.

What a dumbfuck.

:butthurt:

Tigranes

Arcane
Oh wow. Looks exactly the same + butt-ugly UI, + bit more information squeezed in inventory screen which is Good, + couple of new areas, + money out of your pocket.

In other words, just as useless as it always seemed.

The Bishop

Cipher
FjO7l.jpg

PosledniKovboj

Scholar
So, trolls aside, can someone tell me what this has? Extra content? Or just some minor engine changes? I'm too lazy myself.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Basically I can argue my assertion by addressing this one point. You seem to have a very weird, normative idea that everybody who was part of the old generation of gamers are morally superior, or, at least, better fit for these kinds of games and that modern gamers, be them younger PC users, console players or mobile audience are inherently incapable of enjoying this game. That is false for several reasons, one of them being your obvious need to assert your (generation's ) superiority in a way that is not much more intelligent that claiming that the original Pokemons wore better than the second generation. A much more interesting reason, tho, is the fact that, like in any other cultural sector, a wider audience will lead to a blander, less complex mainstream, while keeping both inferior and superior spikes of quality.

Let me give you an example. Just because the music most listened to nowadays on mainstream channels of distribution, such as music televisions, radio stations and, to a certain degree, YouTube is plastic, instantly-catchy, shallow pop has nothing to do with a decline in the quality of musicians or with some make-belief reduction in the audience's ability to enjoy more complex music. It has everything to do with the fact the most popular examples of art forms will always, ALWAYS, be those who use the smallest common denominator as a schematic. The reason Gangnam Style is so popular is because it can be enjoyed from people anywhere in the range of 5 to 60, by both Western and Eastern audiences (and everything in between) and both by teenagers who want to dance spastically on it and hipsters who enjoy it ironically or stoners who are amused by the absurd video. In a world where only people with a certain type of education or upbringing would be the target of musicians, the most popular music would differ greatly. The key to the issue is that, just because the most popular music right now is, let's say, Justin Bieber rand Lady Gaga, does not mean that the spikes in quality disappear. There are still amazing musicians making amazing music right now. The popularity of Justin Bieber didn't lead to Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen, Radiohead, TV on the Radio, The Flaming Lips or Kishi Bashi suddenly dying. Quite the contrary, an easily digested art-form will bring more people to consume that certain art-form, increasing the large pool possible audience. Out of that, quite a few people will start listening to other music as well, ultimately becoming part of a certain niche, while some, who are not that into music in any case, will lose interest in anything not popular this week. So it goes.

It's easy to understand where I'm going with this. There are out there millions of people who did not play video games in the 90s, either because they were too young, or because they perceived as too much of an opaque hobby. But they are, now, playing Call of Duty, Angry Birds or Dishonored. Of-fucking-course the most popular games now are not on the same level of complexity and depth as they were when the only people who owned computers where the ones that were huge geeks, immensely interested in spending hours at a time solving a fucking puzzle. Of course when game developers have to cater to a million "my mums" instead of 10,000 programmers and university students, the most popular games will be silly, flick the button bullshits. But good games still exist, not as much as they used to, but if the last 10 months says anything is that there is still an audience and a will to make this games.

An the people who play Angry Birds and Call of Duty? Well, some of them would really enjoy other sort of games, if they were given the chance. Under a certain amount of guidance or influence, smart kids will start playing first Mass Effect and Skyrim, then Morrowind and Neverwinter Nights and then get into the good stuff. The BG:EE will shine a huge light (it already did) on the game in the media and on gaming sites and out of the million of people who are playing Skyrim and thing is the epitome of RPGs, not a majority, but quite a few of them will end up buying it on GOG, to see what the fuss is all about. Some of them won't even reach the Friendly Arms Inn, getting bored along the way, but some will and will become a part of the fandom of this game.

It is incredibly stupid and arrogant to say that anybody who hasn't played the game back when "they were supposed to" - n.b. I'm pretty sure the definition for that is almost always identical to the period of time when you played it - will not be able to enjoy it. Guess what, this generation is being served mainly mobile and console games, just as kids in the 90s were being served a certain type of game. Everybody is buying into what marketing people are giving them before developing a certain taste.

There is nothing wrong with "this generation". There actually is no such thing as "this generation". It's just that more people are playing games now. And quite a chunk of them can be convinced to play good games, but, hey, it's much easier to be flippant and patronizing. If thing would be nice again, what would we complain about?
It's the Post-Bethesda-Marketing-Trauma-Syndrome. It causes people to believe that they are "nerds" or "geeks" and that new gamers are "ADHD retards" because they have heard hundreds of time that isometric view is outdated.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014

What a dumbfuck.
Wasn't serious, I thought that was obvious.:troll:

godsend1989

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin
As a matter of fact i remember my first game that i had to draw a fucking map on paper to play it right, it was Lionheart Legacy of the Crusader great game to be honest.

St. Toxic

Arcane
I'd rather get lost and never finish the game than draw my own maps. That shit is just too much larp, go back to playing Oblivion.

Mirthless

Educated
Ugh, how could they make the voice feedback from the followers more annoying than the ones from the original characters?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What is an RPG? A game where you draw maps on paper. Fuck PST,
You had to draw your own map of the Modron Maze if you wanted to get out of there. That place was also an unenjoyable obnoxious joke.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
so they applied a bunch of mods that you can find on the internet and want money for it? did i understand that right?

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
make it all in icewind dale's graphics, that would make it so much better

Karmapowered

Augur
:killit:

A 14 year old game's modding scene is not going to receive a "boost" because of a cashgrab rerelease. At best you'll have a few stalwarts releasing BGEE-compatible editions of their already existing mods.

This.

It has written "quick $$$grab" all over it.

Aren't there enough quality Kickstarters to spend all your extra cash on ?

PS : Not that it matters, but I felt compelled to post this meaningless comment. Somehow. For the sake of saving poor souls from... starvation and a grim future. May they see the Light!

waywardOne

Arcane
Well, don't forget the benefits of an influx of new "rpg gamers" too stupid to be able to install mods.

Since Fuckface McNewfag is outright ignoring my questions while still spewing his propaganda, I'd say this BGEE is only going to hurt the genre by showing all the nu-gamers its shitty NPCs and shitty graphics. Might as well port Skyrim to iPhone next.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
As a great fan of the original Baldur's Gate, I decided that I'm gonna buy it, finish it (with all the side quests) and write the Codex Quickie Nr. 4 (or full fledged review perhaps, we'll see).

Alienfreak

Novice
BG Multiplayer worked flawlessly for me both in LAN and through Gamespy. I really fail to see what is new except a new dungeon, three new characters, a new FUGLY UI, and proper support of higher resolutions (best feature in the cashgrab).

P.S.: The guy in the video is playing the game like a real retard.

Xi

Arcane
I wonder what the point of this thread is?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom