Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate 3 announced at Google Stadia Connect event

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
MRY is having a lot of fun on the Codex today.

Tigranes

Arcane
I mean, in my view time travel has almost never been done in a not-shit way in almost any medium. It just seems like a poisonous thing to attempt, especially for a studio like Larian that's never shown an ounce of quality in complicated plots, coherent worlds or engaging stories.

My fab-optimistic hope would be that they use the agglomerated lore of FR as the basis for a nice, high-fantasy romp that hits the big hollywood notes, and then uses the stability that provides to work on subversive jokes and zany cases. Don't worry about where the gods are coming from or any deep conspiracy about the illithid, just work off what we all know about mindflayers and Baldur's Gate and then focus on fun wacky situations that the player actually experiences.

MRY is having a lot of fun on the Codex today.

About time!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
It is about expectations. No way no how will this game be as good as the first two (even with the flaws they have). But, if one goes expecting good for what is in 2019/2020 and it is at least somehwta 'fun' so be it. But, no way, will this live up to the hype.

And, the interview proves this with their bashing the older games already. Not to mention how they insult gamers. LMAO

Fairfax

Arcane
Abandon all hope:
Mearls characterizes Baldur's Gate 3 as "part of the evolution of D&D [...] a very natural step. "This is a chance to get people who maybe don't have an interest in tabletop roleplaying, who are looking for something that's more just pure story. They don't necessarily want to immerse themselves in the rules. They can have a great experience that's very authentically D&D in terms of the puzzle solving and the storytelling without necessarily having to make the commitment of playing a tabletop game," he explains.
[Mike Mearls was co-lead designer for 5E and is the creative director for D&D. He knows the ruleset.]

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Time-traveling would be spectacular, especially if it included two things:

(1) A SQIV / Avengers: Endgame style element where you time-travel to the events in Baldur's Gate I and II, and the graphic style and gameplay change to the original, with the characters making ironic comments on it, like Minsc could say, "But how can Boo go for the eyes when they are only one pixel large?" and so forth. Like, you go to the future where gold pieces are super devalued to quickly bypass the main quest in BG2, etc., etc.

(2) Future technology against dragons, like that great illustration in Weiss & Hickman's third Darksword book of the dragon fighting an F-15. I'm thinking that the good guys go into the future to gather gear, and only Alora or Mazzy can figure out how all the tech works, Minsc uses like a big plasma gun as a club, etc.

Think about all the zany emergent gameplay that Larian can introduce using time-travel mechanics.

This isn't the Unavowed thread. :negative:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

rxCYBKk.png

well, what did you all expect?

not only is it going to be nothing like 1&2 gameplay-wise, it's going to be a Cthulhu rip-off.

:dead:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I give it about a 1% chance of being isometric after this quote:

We will finally be able to see the fear in the orc's eye.

Mindflayer invasion is also pretty DARK and SERIOUS, which given Larian's cringy awful writing ability at anything other than high fantasy trope jokes, doesn't bode well. It's a setup for a lot less transmogrified pumpkins or talking dogs, and a lot more of their idiotic fake gandalfs and such.

Did you complete Divinity 2? A couple of times in that one there's a whole-scale slaughter of civilians that's given the gallows humor treatment.

Codex Year of the Donut
That's how they breed, they are asexual. There are no different genders for illithid. As far as i remember from the lore, each individual deposits eggs at some point in their life, from which tadpoles hatch. These are kept in the elder brains tank and they eat each other as they grow. The ones that live long enough are implanted on a host. They eat its brain and take over its body and that's how a new mindflayer is born. Also, different kinds of mindflayers are created, depending on the type of creature the tadpole was planted on.

Knowing all of this, it got me wondering how that guy turned into an illithid seemingly out of nowhere and in a manner of seconds. Is that a thing in the lore now?

Yeah, if they are going to "infect" people from now on like some kind of a zombie, that would legit suck monkey balls. Gotta love retcons and time travel eh?
They don't breed like zombies, they're parasitic. They infect the host and take over its body. And it isn't a "retcon" you dunce, they've always been this way.
Page 11 of The Illithiad(AD&D 2E)
ok6bMzF.png

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
All this anti rule shit is nonsense. D&D is a game. Games have rules. Without the rules it is just story. Might as well read a fuykkin' book then. HOLY FUKK.

Why play monopoly. Just read a book about Disney. They know how to buy property in the real world.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Was BG3 even needed?
The story is over. Go home already!

I mean what are you getting out of this?
A game system that probably is nothing like the original?
A setting that has gone through two great cataclysmic events and won't be recognizable?
A couple characters that probably shouldn't even be in the game, but get pushed as a form of fan-service?

What for? What's the point of this? BG is just a name at that point.

You won't be getting the "old BG" out of this. No way.
Just take the old virtues and make something new (like Realms Beyond does).
Larian did this already with DOS. Which gives me a little hope, but I'm afraid BG3 will lack identity.

This is all true. We're long ways away from any of the minds related to the series. Graphics, systems, rulesets, all that's changed.

I don't get attached to BG3 -- that's just a name to sell copies. However, I'm very much intrigued by what Larian does with the D&D setting.

So I'm just reading through that Stadia thing on Google. And among the available games to come is Baldurs Gate 3.

Nevermind, missed it in the OP.

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

gibbing more money to joogle for laggy games. lel

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Obviously, they're going to follow the proven success of Bethesda and BG3 will be Fallout 3 with spells.
:troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom