Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate 3 announced at Google Stadia Connect event

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I give it about a 1% chance of being isometric after this quote:

Set 100 years after the events of the original games, Baldur's Gate 3 will utilize Dungeons and Dragon's 5th Edition Rules. But that doesn't mean that Baldur's Gate 3 will be an isometric RPG like BioWare's old Infinity Engine games. Rather, it will have its own identity, Larian founder Swen Vincke tells USG. "We're going to have some things that you haven't seen yet in CRPGs, which I would love to talk about, but I'm going to hold it," Vincke says.*

It's all almost looks like their work toward audience start to accept THINGS - first "it's not isometric guys", when you accept it, second will be "it's action RPG like Witcher guys" and later who know else ahaha.

Last edited:

UnknownBro

Savant
Story fitting for BG3. Just switch around Mexicans with orcs and landscaping with adventuring. I hope Swen gives you a call.

Oh that was non-fiction and 100% truth. I couldn't remember what I was going to say and then that memory came back to me. My friend really did turn off the PS2 when the game was saving and saying "Don't turn off while this icon is on." It's true. If you turn it off while it says that it'll wipe everything. I had every character unlocked, too.
Looks like he really rompió tus huevos.

Si. He roto su cara, mano-y-mano.
Mine was just a bad egg pun, man.

I think I got my pronouns wrong. My 2004 Spanish would not fly on 2019 Twitter let me tell ya.

No se les entiende nada gringos.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Aside for the fact that I already played all of them (and not a single one of them matched the original) that's the stupidest rebuttal imaginable. Well, one of the stupidest, at least.
Gee, you dont say? Surely then you can explain how its "the stupidest rebuttal" being such a genius as you are.
And add whats the difference between those and the BG games. Considering you specifically said:

I'm looking for a game with the same core mechanics (or improvements over them, if possible) and the same sense of scale and ambition.
Same....core...mechanics...

No, it's not. It was barely a common background among all the parts that made it good.
Besides, I never said that I don't care if the story will be any decent. I just don't give a shit if it's going to be a direct sequel of BG2, so "Baldur's Gate story was done and this makes this game superfluous" is a borderline autistic argument as far as I'm concerned.
Really? No shit? It seems your unusually high IQ is working on such frequencies you cant remember what you said previously, or maybe your mouth just cant catch up with the illuminating explosions of thoughts.

let me remind you:
The narrative was never what made me remember BG and (especially) BG2 fondly. If anything I think most old players tend to vastly overstate its quality.

Who the fuck ever said anything about direct sequel? You talking to yourself much?
You must excuse us lowly peons not being able to telepathically discern what your super evolved brain is actually thinking. You dumb fuck.

Yeah, you aren't selling me this delusional bullshit. Sorry.
Enlighten us with examples of what your high IQ considers a good story in RPGs similar to BG games these days. or any RPG... Let us bask at the glory of your illuminating thoughts!

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I mean, in my view time travel has almost never been done in a not-shit way in almost any medium.

YES! That's absolutely right. Take any series that include time travel - they are died in the end, killed by time travels itself, turning in a absolute disaster. It's a very complex theme, that should be handled carefully, very carefully.
And because there is NO people that could handle that modern days it's just a red signal for any show or game.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
All the talks are premature now, we don't know a shit about the game, in the end there are good game without isometric, TB etc, I think everybody agree with that, it's all wild speculations now and nothing else.

However one thing I'm sure of already - if at least half of the SJW shit shown in this post

Since it's based on a D&D 5E you can expect SJW content in super high proportions:

https://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2016/09/09/im-too-old-to-start-playing-dd-again/
I’m too old to start playing D&D again…
But wow, the changes in the latest edition are stunning. This is the description for the standard “Human” player:

via Liselle Angelique Krog Awwal

Looks like Wizards of the Coast have been completely overrun by SJWs. We’re going to have to start calling them Wizards+.

2mNrSTA.jpg
So don't get your hopes up just yet.

will creep into that BG3 game with same level of SJW toxicity, I'm not only won't buy it - I won't even pirate it, just like I didn't play PoE2, PoE1 (except the begining), and Kingmaker where SJW is a main stone of stumbling for me.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Anyway...

I found one interview where Sven clarified that the illithid invasion isnt happening in the beginning of the game.

Whether that means its something we will be able to prevent, or just happens somewhere later in the game, maybe the finale? - He did not say.
But at least we wont start killing illithids during early levels.

Artyoan

Arbiter
"Alone, you may resist. But together, you can overcome."

Considering how secretive they're being that reference seems like it might be a borderline MMORPG.

Farewell into the night

Is this going to be first person view like Fallout 3?

jaydee2k

Savant
ILLITHIDS! And everyone thought its going to be a kraken.
I like Illithids "Incline" ! Drow will be ingame too then to form an alliance with em.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
There wont be time traveling just because a forum dumbass threw that out.

I know you are all too sensitive and easily hypnotized by any negative idea, but for fuck sake... have atleast enough self fucking control not to automatically accept nonsense just because someone blurted it out.

Arthandas

Liturgist
Not even BG III's announcement can stop the Codex from being Codex. We literally know nothing about the game but it's apparently enough to already cross it as utter mainstream shit...
:shitandpiss:

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Anyway...

I found one interview where Sven clarified that the illithid invasion isnt happening in the beginning of the game.

Whether that means its something we will be able to prevent, or just happens somewhere later in the game, maybe the finale? - He did not say.
But at least we wont start killing illithids during early levels.

Bear in mind that nobody would revive 20 old game series to just make one game. So we can easlily expect at least BG4 if previous game sold enough copies.
So this tentacle attack could be a bridge to a next game.

Fred

Learned

Doubters wondering whether BG3 will have the same trademark humor with stuff like Misc and Edwina should breathe a sigh of relief.

Gavin Jurgens-Fyhrie
@GavinEtc
Senior Writer @ Larian - Baldur’s Gate 3 - also worked on Torment: Tides of Numenera, Wasteland 3, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Diablo III, and Other Stuff.

:prosper:

Ho for fuck sake, that twitter is cancer

I got ambushed and interrogated by CBP today, on my way IN TO Mexico. 5 officers (waiting on the walkway just before entrance into MX) stopped me and ordered me to step in a little side cage area. I asked why I was being stopped. I was told to be quiet and turn around. (Thread)
I was then ordered to put my hands down on a metal table. As my pockets were emptied by 2 officers, I again asked why I was being stopped. “What’s the probable cause here?” “We don’t need probable cause, sir,” another officer responded. “We can stop and search whoever we want.”

As I was standing in line at the MX crossing, I simultaneously felt like crying and punching someone in the face. Violated. At which time I started thinking about
1f1fa-1f1f8.png
policing of People of Color, and how what I’d just gone thru was merely a taste of what POC go thru on the daily.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Also,
Players will have to pay $129.99 up front and $9.99 a month, on top of individual game purchase costs, when Google's previously announced Stadia game-streaming service launches in November. A free tier will be available some time in 2020, as will a paid subscription tier that doesn't require the upfront purchase.

Sometime next year, Google says it plans to roll out a free tier of Stadia service, called Stadia Base. Users on this tier will be limited to 1080p, 60fps streams with stereo sound.

Democracy!

You are as equal as you can pay.

Google is now recommending users have at least a 10mbps Internet connection to use Stadia. With that connection, users can expect to run games "at least" at 720p and 60 frames per second. Pro users who want the highest-end streaming experience should have a connection of at least 35mbps,

Last edited:

Uncreation

Savant
They don't breed like zombies, they're parasitic. They infect the host and take over its body. And it isn't a "retcon" you dunce, they've always been this way.
Page 11 of The Illithiad(AD&D 2E)
ok6bMzF.png

Maybe my understanding of the process is shit, but i thought this goes on in a controlled environment in mindflayer cities and is performed on bound slaves. Did a mindflayer tadpole just fly into that dude, just like that? Is this a thing that happens now in the lore? Also i thought this took a bit of time. In the video it happens in like 5 seconds, that's almost instantly. Hell, on the very page you posted it says that it takes several days for all the transformations to happen in order to get an adult illithid.
On the other hand that is from AD&D Second edition and some things have change in the meantime, so maybe this is all canon in 5E. I haven't read that.

Anyway, i think this will be the least of the problems this game will have.

Let's summarize what we know so far shall we?

Extremely unlikely to be 2d.
It's not using DOS engine and it is AAA game with huge budget so it's likely a tpp / over the shouder camera game with pure real time combat.
They already admiting that it is game with huuuge budget and that means catering to retarded masses who never played bg2 and love skyrim...
They already admiting that they raping 5ed rules coz "missing is not fun" .
It can't be an action-RPG, otherwise they wouldn't have made that statement about missing not being fun. In an action-RPG attacks can't miss to begin with, you have to manually dodge out of the way.
thats not true, I have played ARPG where you miss..grimdawn you can miss based on your offensive ability vs. the opponents defense and they can also block your attack and it has nothing to do with your mouse button pushing or anything

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Not even BG III's announcement can stop the Codex from being Codex. We literally know nothing about the game but it's apparently enough to already cross it as utter mainstream shit...
Especially mindfucking since it is made by a Codex darling developer, who made 2 of the best cRPGs of the last decade. But the codex only needs 10 minutes to mob against them.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Especially mindfucking since it is made by a Codex darling developer, who made 2 of the best cRPGs of the last decade. But the codex only needs 10 minutes to mob against them.
Agenda Acknowledged.

Was BG3 even needed?
The story is over. Go home already!

I mean what are you getting out of this?
A game system that probably is nothing like the original?
A setting that has gone through two great cataclysmic events and won't be recognizable?
A couple characters that probably shouldn't even be in the game, but get pushed as a form of fan-service?

What for? What's the point of this? BG is just a name at that point.

You won't be getting the "old BG" out of this. No way.
Just take the old virtues and make something new (like Realms Beyond does).
Larian did this already with DOS. Which gives me a little hope, but I'm afraid BG3 will lack identity.

This is all true. We're long ways away from any of the minds related to the series. Graphics, systems, rulesets, all that's changed.

I don't get attached to BG3 -- that's just a name to sell copies. However, I'm very much intrigued by what Larian does with the D&D setting.
your into scat?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom