Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate 3 announced at Google Stadia Connect event

but what was the giant Cthulhu in the sky that flashed briefly? is that canon too? I don undastan
yes, that's their spelljammer ship
Dreadnaught.jpg

As eric__s would say:
warning-this-game-is-canon.jpeg

intelligent beings build spaceships that resemble their head and face, makes sense.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
but what was the giant Cthulhu in the sky that flashed briefly? is that canon too? I don undastan
yes, that's their spelljammer ship
Dreadnaught.jpg

As eric__s would say:
warning-this-game-is-canon.jpeg

intelligent beings build spaceships that resemble their head and face, makes sense.

Well, quite apart from it coming from a fantasy setting where Gods and magic and all kinds of shit exist which would make 'sense' relative, it could be a practical reason to make it look like this: differentiate from other Spelljammer ships(much like flying flags), or it could be used as a means of intimidation to 'lesser' species.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Especially mindfucking since it is made by a Codex darling developer, who made 2 of the best cRPGs of the last decade. But the codex only needs 10 minutes to mob against them.
Apples and oranges. Larian is a good developer, yes, but the writing, dialogue, presentation, combat mechanics, and overall atmosphere of their games is just too far off from Black Isle. Just like if Royce Royce announced a race car I believe it'd raise some brows.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Apples and oranges. Larian is a good developer, yes, but the writing, dialogue, presentation, combat mechanics, and overall atmosphere of their games is just too far off from Black Isle. Just like if Royce Royce announced a race car I believe it'd raise some brows.
Baldur's Gate wasn't a Black Isle game. :M

You do realize that almost all writing on "BG3" is done at this point? You wouldn't be working on it if you get hired.

Still, good luck. I guess you must've enjoyed DOS2.

Wasteland 3 had to get new writers this year to "finish it" and that's supposed to be out a few months from now.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
-Gets message about Baldur’s Gate 3 confirmed to be in development by Larian and to be released this year

-Becomes really interested in what Sven and company are up to, seeing that their Divinity OS games are among the best of this decade; the game obviously has some good funding and will probably have the same turn based combat, gorgeous graphics and slightly goofy dialogue that Larian is know for

-Checks the obvious excitement from mainstream media and YouTubers

-Decides to finally check the Codex

-The usual “they should leave the franchise alone” “Will turn it into popamole” “Action RPG fo sho” “Sven is a bro” Codexian vibe

Ah the Codex.... the Codex never changes
:love:

Ulrox

Arbiter
Especially mindfucking since it is made by a Codex darling developer, who made 2 of the best cRPGs of the last decade. But the codex only needs 10 minutes to mob against them.

People are managing their expectations and emotions. It's a defense mechanism. Better to call everything shit, then if it turns out to be shit, you wont be disappointed.

In the case of Baldur's gate 3 though, I think no matter how much people try, they are going to be hurt if the game turns out to be bad.

Therefore the best approach is just to be cautiously optimistic, which is my approach.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

People are managing their expectations and emotions. It's a defense mechanism. Better to call everything shit, then if it turns out to be shit, you wont be disappointed.

In the case of Baldur's gate 3 though, I think no matter how much people try, they are going to be hurt if the game turns out to be bad.

Therefore the best approach is just to be cautiously optimistic, which is my approach.
Yeah I get this, and we should be critical. But starting with complete negativity and shitting on the game and most of all on the developer is ridiculous. Espceially before we get any concrete info about the gameplay.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Yeah I get this, and we should be critical.

But starting with complete negativity and shitting on the game and most of all on the developer is ridiculous. Espceially before we get any concrete info about the gameplay.

God please
icon_rolleyes.gif
. For a genre veteran it's easy to predict. Most people here have had a few decades of experience playing these games (and following the industry) under their belt. If you're among them, clearly you can see this game showing signs of popamolized rubbish more and more every day. However, people like you just have low standards and a forgiving attitude, willing to accept meager bread crumbs for compensation, which is what brought decline in the first place.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The fact that this won't use the D:OS engine is a red flag. If BG3 was isometric, there would be no need to re-invent the wheel.

So most likely, it's Larian's "Baldur's Gate: Skyrim" or "Baldur's Gate: The Witcher".

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Since I don't like Larian can I hate on this legitimatelly ?

Otherwise, I think concept art and random stuff isn't important. Let's wait for the real stuff to come up. Anybody have information on the team and what they did prior ?

Ulrox

Arbiter
Yeah I get this, and we should be critical. But starting with complete negativity and shitting on the game and most of all on the developer is ridiculous. Espceially before we get any concrete info about the gameplay.

You know, when I read all of that negativity, I do wonder how many people have actually played Baldur's gate 1-2 ToB, and if they even ever wanted a BG3 to begin with. 1997 was a long time ago.

I recently became acquainted with a guy who told me, that the reason bioware's games had gotten worse, was due to EA's influence, and that was why Anthem was so terrible. This guy is 20 years old. I told him that he was right, but that the games he thought of as amazing bioware games, mass effect, dragon age, were also made while EA's was there, and bioware had been under EA's influence all along, and he looked at me weirdly, as if that couldn't be the case, and then I realised that I am old.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron

If it’s not isometric and they’re dumbing down the rules AND we’re getting Larian quality writing, then I’m sorry, it’s going to be shit. Also current year means all creative fields are dominated by SJW filth that ruin the fun in everything, so it’s not like they’re going to find good talent to work with. A big part of why BG2 was great was because it was directed by a dude who just loved DnD and fantasy and RPGs and ended up making something he would want to play.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
Honestly, I’m not a purist. I liked the Witcher series. I liked DA:O. But those are essentially story based games, and this is Larian. Plus it’s the current year and this game is not being made in the relatively safe haven of Eastern Europe.

Abandon all hope:
Mearls characterizes Baldur's Gate 3 as "part of the evolution of D&D [...] a very natural step. "This is a chance to get people who maybe don't have an interest in tabletop roleplaying, who are looking for something that's more just pure story. They don't necessarily want to immerse themselves in the rules. They can have a great experience that's very authentically D&D in terms of the puzzle solving and the storytelling without necessarily having to make the commitment of playing a tabletop game," he explains.
[Mike Mearls was co-lead designer for 5E and is the creative director for D&D. He knows the ruleset.]

Jesus.

Saerain

Augur
Patron
Abandon all hope:
Mearls characterizes Baldur's Gate 3 as "part of the evolution of D&D [...] a very natural step. "This is a chance to get people who maybe don't have an interest in tabletop roleplaying, who are looking for something that's more just pure story. They don't necessarily want to immerse themselves in the rules. They can have a great experience that's very authentically D&D in terms of the puzzle solving and the storytelling without necessarily having to make the commitment of playing a tabletop game," he explains.
[Mike Mearls was co-lead designer for 5E and is the creative director for D&D. He knows the ruleset.]

Good grief. I bet all the rules are even automated by a computer gadget. RIP gaming.

User0001

Savant

Paraphrasing/copying/dictate from the video above:
Vincke: What are the demands from WotC for Lairian/Vincke to make Baldurs Gate 3?

WotC: Got to be:
  • True to D&D lore
  • Choices have to feel like they are real. No fake choices.
Vincke: Okey, "Player agency" ;)

Then some verbal nothing WotC: It also gots to be the bestest shiniest most creative game EVVAH!
Later:
WotC: *Something uninteresting about the process of imploding into a squid*
Later later:
Vincke: We love WotC and they live us!! *Single player, co-op play and some fluff-talk*

Why are both WotC and Larian painfully avoiding talking about the combat system? True to D&D lore is an obvious avoidance of (what should be) TRUE TO D&D RULES.
Very strange...

Also, the whole thing with Vincke stealing a WotC employee to symbolize WotC's aprovement, is more like Swen taking WotC hostage with the promise of lotz of exztra loot for them if they agree to his terms.
Vincke really duped them to think WotC would look tough and strong against Vincke with their baby.. but NO, that's not the way these WotC fools are presented in the video.

They are :shittydog:ies

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom