Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

a cut of domestic sheep prime

The game seems like DOS2: Baldur's Gate flavor, which isn't a bad thing entirely, provided the story is less retarded, but there are some popamole implications. Maybe that's why I can't help but suspect cooldown timers.

I guess we'll find out in early access.

catfood

AGAIN

Dramart

Learned
100 years after BG2, the only companions alive are going to be elves and dwarves. At least they say they will appear in the game. Now we have a connection with the old games. BUt that 100 years difference it's not a coincidence, they'll make the old characters a bunch of goods for nothing. BG3 with new bad characters. XD

DeepOcean

Arcane
5e magic system is kinda popamolified as you waste slots while doing magic and most spells, specially the powerful ones require long rests. Some spells, specially class spells, they only require short rests. It is kinda popamolified in comparison to 3.5e because it allows more spamming but nowhere close to the cooldown retarded system. It is possible to balance things so fireball or chain lighting require long rests while you dont need 8hs of rest to cast minor cure wounds. However, there is nothing stopping Larian to just allowing rest everywhere as Bioware did.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
100 years after BG2, the only companions alive are going to be elves and dwarves. At least they say they will appear in the game.
Kagain_KAGAIN_Portrait_BG1.png

100 years after BG2, the only companions alive are going to be elves and dwarves. At least they say they will appear in the game. Now we have a connection with the old games. BUt that 100 years difference it's not a coincidence, they'll make the old characters a bunch of goods for nothing. BG3 with new bad characters. XD
pretty sure we covered earlier that some of the old companions are still alive through various asinine coincidences like being turned to stone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
It seems the only thing this game has in common with Baldur's Gate is the slogan they keep forcing into every single trailer, web page, and anything else that has anything to do with the game.
Gather your party. Gather your party. Gather your party.
Doesn't it just tickle your nostalgia when we use this one line as our catch phrase while simultaneously ignoring everything else about the originals?

Here's your citation, User0001:
https://www.pcgamer.com/larian-teases-a-return-of-minsc-and-boo-in-baldurs-gate-3/

edit: I said a lot, but I meant "some". Really though if they're willing to do this...
Also, you meant "some" but you know of one :P
As the poster said, elves and such are likely still alive.

I haven't kept up with 5th edition, but someone else itt had a list of the living iirc.

Plus, Minsc and Boo are two characters, not one. :M

I have to admit though, I wouldn't mind Edwin returning as a lich. Thavians are known for such things, after all...

(As if these simians would even bother to learn such a thing. Bah.)

Codex Year of the Donut
A lot more companions are alive after 100 years than people probably realize. Probably more alive than dead.
Companions definitely alive:
Minsc. He was petrified for decades.
Viconia, yep. Get butthurt viconia-fags
Coran — Elf. He makes an appearance in "Murder in Baldur's Gate", which takes place shortly before BG3. I wouldn't be surprised if his son makes a major or minor appearance.

Companions probably alive:
Edwin — Powerful wizards are effectively immortal through various means. Obvious one is a True Polymorph to an immortal race or extremely long-lived race. Also, probably living as Edwina.
honkhonk.png

Jaheira — half-elves live about 200 years, and she's only about 30 at the start of BG1. Archdruids live for a very long time in the range of thousands of years.
Aerie — Elf and wizard, again, essentially immune to aging
Jan Jansen — Gnome+Wizard
Mazzy — Halflings live about 250 years
Xan — Elf. He's a wizard, but it's not known how powerful he became as he didn't appear past BG1.
Kivan — Elf.
Alora — Halfling.
Nalia — Wizard.

Maybe alive:
Quayle — He's a gnome wizard, but also pretty old already and it's unknown how powerful of a wizard he actually became.
Kagain — Dwarf. But he seemed pretty old already.
Yeslick — Dwarf, but again he's at least a century old already in BG1.
Korgan — Dwarf, but again he seemed pretty old.
Tiax — I wouldn't be surprised if he survived spellhold.

User0001

Savant
Here's your citation, User0001:
https://www.pcgamer.com/larian-teases-a-return-of-minsc-and-boo-in-baldurs-gate-3/

edit: I said a lot, but I meant "some". Really though if they're willing to do this...

Vincke hinted that the things that make you smile could even include a return of Minsc, the slightly addled ranger from Rasheman, and his faithful companion Boo, a miniature giant space hamster.

"If you look at what the Fifth Edition has done, characters like Boo and Minsc are still alive," Vincke said. "Bhaal and maybe a couple of other guys are still around. What’s gonna happen with that? You’re gonna discover when you play BG3."

What's gonna happen is I will kill both him and his rodent as soon as I see them.

TwoEdge

Scholar
Massive decline. Don't take the path of PoE.

PoE 2 did it because spells was EXTREMELY weak on PoE 1... I mean, having 2 casts per rest when your wail of the banshee can kill a army of high level creature is one thing. Having 2 casts per rest when no spell can take 1/4 of enemy hp, is a no no....

No, I think it will al be cool down timers and warlocks will merely have a faster one. That seems more like Larian in terms of general popamole faggotry.

If they announce cooldowns in ANYTHING, i will insta remove from my wishlist. Despite all problems, i still believe that BG3 worth be played(but will not be good aas PF wotr or PF:KM or IE games)

We don't need another game with boring cooldowns. This mechanic makes no sense.
short rest in 5e tabletop is just "we sit for one hour and heal our wounds"
ability that recharge on short rest are supposed to be "spammable" each fight.

a warlock have 2-4 spell slots in total but the spells rechage on a short rest.
Full caster have x5-6 the number of spell slots but rechage on long rest.

There are exploits in the the system that make them more tactical by letting the players tap into a fraction of the long rest benefits: like a druid's natural recovery, a wizard's arcane recovery, a diviner's expert divination, sorcerer's sorcery points and so on. There's also HP recovery mechanics that are linked to short and long rests. There is a balance and a method (like it or not) to the whole system, and I honestly don't see how this will work in a streamlined fashion. I'd rather Larian left it as is.

The Real Fanboy
Does anyone else feel really unimpressed by the companions (apart from the weird green alien elf)? Like not one of them even stands an inch next to how unique and snatched Pallegina lewks (or any of the main cast of Deadfire). Like older not as cute Timothée Chalamet the vampire elf is so bland. That nobody cutscene halfling that Swen fights before the dungeon totally looks like he has as much effort put into his lewk as some of your party? That's my only criticism tho and maybe they'll fix them and make them more unique during early access.

Dramart

Learned
A lot more companions are alive after 100 years than people probably realize. Probably more alive than dead.
Companions definitely alive:
Minsc. He was petrified for decades.
Viconia, yep. Get butthurt viconia-fags
Coran — Elf. He makes an appearance in "Murder in Baldur's Gate", which takes place shortly before BG3. I wouldn't be surprised if his son makes a major or minor appearance.

Companions probably alive:
Edwin — Powerful wizards are effectively immortal through various means. Obvious one is a True Polymorph to an immortal race or extremely long-lived race. Also, probably living as Edwina.
honkhonk.png

Jaheira — half-elves live about 200 years, and she's only about 30 at the start of BG1. Archdruids live for a very long time in the range of thousands of years.
Aerie — Elf and wizard, again, essentially immune to aging
Jan Jansen — Gnome+Wizard
Mazzy — Halflings live about 250 years
Xan — Elf. He's a wizard, but it's not known how powerful he became as he didn't appear past BG1.
Kivan — Elf.
Alora — Halfling.
Nalia — Wizard.

Maybe alive:
Quayle — He's a gnome wizard, but also pretty old already and it's unknown how powerful of a wizard he actually became.
Kagain — Dwarf. But he seemed pretty old already.
Yeslick — Dwarf, but again he's at least a century old already in BG1.
Korgan — Dwarf, but again he seemed pretty old.
Tiax — I wouldn't be surprised if he survived spellhold.
Insteresting. Now the thing is which companions and what they do with them. Some of them should be companions, at least two or three, that if they want some the old fans.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom