Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Cael

Arcane
Try being the guy who spent all his spell slots casting Explosive Runes for a month or so, and then researched a level 2 version of Dispel Magic (like the one in NWN). BBEG time, chuck an entire backpack full of sheets of paper each with an Explosive Rune on it at the BBEG then cast Lesser Dispel Magic at minimal caster level. Now, read Explosive Runes again, particularly the part about what happens when you fail the dispel check.
Nice trick, it would have been a "clever use of game mechanic" - i.e. powergaming, not munchkinism, in my book- if it was possible.
It's like a more sofisticated version of the old bag-of-rats.
But it does not work, because magic items are not affected by an area dispel.
"For each object within the area that is the target of one or more spells, you make dispel checks as with creatures. Magic items are not affected by an area dispel."
Each piece of paper is targeted by Explosive Runes.

Being a rules lawyer is an essential part of being a powergamer. ;)

1: Note: Magic traps such as explosive runes are hard to detect and disable.

2: Magic Traps Dispel magic helps here. <...> This works only with a targeted dispel magic, not the area version.
That is a generic statement. When a spell explicitly says something else will affect it, then it supercedes the generic. This is especially obvious when it comes to things like Feeblemind and the like, which are explicitly immune to Dispel Magic, despite the generic statement in Dispel Magic saying any spell can be so targeted. As a "rules lawyer", you should know this.

But nice try moving the goalposts, since you explicitly said magic items in your original objection, which was comprehensively destroyed as an argument.

I read rules as written, not inventing hidden meanings.
Exlosive rune is directly stated to be considered a magic trap.
Magic traps, again stated directly, are not affected by area dispell.

Your Feeblemind, if anything, proves my point - it is explicitly mentioned because it's an exeption to the general rule - it should be affected by dispell, but it is not.
There are no mentioned exceptions for "magic trap - explosive rune".
There is no hidden meaning. Just you applying something that is the rule of DnD only to cases that forward your agenda. I bet you're one of those who say that Rainbow Servant is 7/10 casting as well.

Elex

Arbiter
Specific beat general.

and in 5e that mean the DM stare at you and say “nope, don’t waste or time again”
This is why you must bring more beer than the other guys at the table, so the DM can’t kick you from the group.

Last edited:

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Anybody who needs to powergame must not be that good at the rest of the game, unless they're playing on the highest difficulty possible. But there are too many people who look up character building op guides online, beat the game on hard, then claim that the game is too easy and that they're amazing at video games. I've never come across a game's hard difficulty that needed min maxing and power gaming to beat.

Yosharian

Arcane
Btw, in the D&D 5th edition and with the point buy method, you cannot assign a value greater than 15 to an attribute.
I'm aware of that, I used a 5E point buy to calculate the points.

Each character should have at least a 16 in their main stat. Otherwise they are deliberately gimping their character for no reason. This is infuriating.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
If the companions' stats will suck, mods will fix it.
As in, it won't even be 24h after release (likely before that) until a mod improving companion stats would be there...
That's really not something I'd worry about.
There is no need to mods, the game allow for reassign them (so you can give them a different subclass/multiclass).

17 is the max stat for a +2 str race like githyanki, it can be optimal for certain feat called half feat that give +1 to a stat and some extra stuff.
I don't think there are any decent feats for +1 STR though.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
As in, it won't even be 24h after release (likely before that) until a mod improving companion stats would be there...
There is no need to mods, the game allow for reassign them (so you can give them a different subclass/multiclass).

17 is the max stat for a +2 str race like githyanki, it can be optimal for certain feat called half feat that give +1 to a stat and some extra stuff.
Heavy Armor Mastery is pretty good for a tank. Resisting 3 damage from every weapon hit will add up to a lot of HP saved over the course of the adventuring day, meaning less resources need to be spent on healing.

Yosharian

Arcane

Heavy Armor Mastery is pretty good for a tank. Resisting 3 damage from every weapon hit will add up to a lot of HP saved over the course of the adventuring day, meaning less resources need to be spent on healing.
Yes Heavy Armour mastery is one of the better ones, but there are far better feats. (I mean, if we didn't need to correct an odd STR)

But yeah, that would be the one I would get, too.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The original method is rolling dice, and we did exactly that with my current group. The bard ended up with 10, 11, 11, 14, 14, 17. They might have done that with the companions and it just so happened that Lae'zel and the other one rolled the same amount of stats (if we look at it like point buy), while Shadowheart rolled less.

Yosharian

Arcane
The original method is rolling dice, and we did exactly that with my current group. The bard ended up with 10, 11, 11, 14, 14, 17. They might have done that with the companions and it just so happened that Lae'zel and the other one rolled the same amount of stats (if we look at it like point buy), while Shadowheart rolled less.
So it's a coincidence that three of the characters have a distribution that is an exact point buy?

And none of the characters have a stat higher than 17?

Yosharian

Arcane
As said before you can't go higher than 15 or lower than 8 without racial bonuses in 5E.
I just checked the Player handbook it literally recommends building your character using these number 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8. So Larian just followed the rulebook.
Yes and with RACIAL BONUSES you should be able to get at least a 16 in your main stat, are you even listening?

Dodo1610

Arcane
Like you've got to be a fucking idiot to defend an ELF ROGUE with a starting DEX of FIFTEEN
Astarion was the player character in that presentation from 3 months ago btw and Swen didn't edit his stats when he played so they might be random. Why are we even discussing this?

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
Like you've got to be a fucking idiot to defend an ELF ROGUE with a starting DEX of FIFTEEN
Astarion was the player character in that presentation from 3 months ago btw and Swen didn't edit his stats so they might be random. Why are we even discussing this?
So first Larian is following the rulebook, then when that is proven to be false it's 'LOL HE JUST DIDN'T EDIT THE STATS SO THEY'RE PROBABLY RANDOM' you're moving the goalposts so much we're playing on a different fucking field every time

Of COURSE if these aren't the real stats then it's no problem, but at the moment we've no reason to believe that those aren't the final stats. And they are fucking retarded distributions.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Astarion was the player character in that presentation from 3 months ago btw and Swen didn't edit his stats so they might be random. Why are we even discussing this?
So first Larian is following the rulebook, then when that is proven to be false it's 'LOL HE JUST DIDN'T EDIT THE STATS SO THEY'RE PROBABLY RANDOM' you're moving the goalposts so much we're playing on a different fucking field every time

Of COURSE if these aren't the real stats then it's no problem, but at the moment we've no reason to believe that those aren't the final stats. And they are fucking retarded distributions.

What do you want to hear? That the stats are shit because they are exactly that

Yosharian

Arcane

But you just said that Larian 'followed the rulebook'? No they didn't.

Dodo1610

Arcane

But you just said that Larian 'followed the rulebook'? No they didn't.

Sorry didn't actually look at the stats when I posted that and edited the post.

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister
So it's a coincidence that three of the characters have a distribution that is an exact point buy?

Why would you want 3 NPCs at 27 point buy and 1 at 24 point buy then? Why not have all NPCs at 27 point buy?

Not having a stat higher than 17 could be a result of not rolling well enough. Random is random.

Yosharian

Arcane

Why would you want 3 NPCs at 27 point buy and 1 at 24 point buy then? Why not have all NPCs at 27 point buy?

Not having a stat higher than 17 could be a result of not rolling well enough. Random is random.
I'm saying that one character isn't evidence that the others weren't distributed using point-buy. That question is exactly the one I want to ask the developers.

It's true that no 18+ could occur as result of random rolls, I suppose, but it also seems like too much of a coincidence. I'm convinced they used point-buy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom