Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Codex Year of the Donut
AD&D 2E isn't good because it existed solely to deprive Gygax of his royalties.
Gary Gygax himself in 1985 had begun consideration of how to develop a 2nd edition of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons from the existing AD&D rulebooks and of the various alterations desired in terms of corrections, new rules, additional information, and redesign. In fact, Gygax actually wrote an article for Dragon Magazine on this very subject, titled "The future of the game: What the Second Edition books will be like", which ironically appeared in issue #103 (November 1985), the month after he had been ousted from TSR. As with the original AD&D rulebooks, Gygax would have published the 2nd edition books one at a time, starting with a Monster Manual that would combine material from the original, the Fiend Folio, the Monster Manual II, and other TSR publications, followed by a Players Handbook that would add portions from Unearthed Arcana and Oriental Adventures (plus completely new material, such as mystic, savant, and jester subclasses), and completed with a Dungeon Masters Guide. If anything, the change in TSR's leadership actually delayed initiation of the 2nd edition's development, so that the three AD&D 2nd edition core rulebooks did not appear until mid-1989 (nearly simultaneously).
What does this have to do with them screwing Gygax out of his royalties?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
1. Gygax would have created a 2nd edition AD&D if he had maintained control of TSR.
2. TSR still paid Gygax royalties on all D&D products, whether AD&D 1st edition, non-advanced D&D, or AD&D 2nd edition.
3. Dave Arneson was deprived by Gary Gygax of royalties on all products bearing the name Advanced Dungeons & Dragons.

Gyor

Savant
And levels are dumb and harmful as mechanics more often than not.

I prefer WoD system; no char/class level BUT you have skill/attribute and discipline level. But levels are not THAT bad.

I also prefer milestone leveling over combat leveling.

levels aren't part of the lore, they're part of the mechanics.

Levels serves to measure how strong something is. Is not just "mechanic" Eg, a lv 20 class X reached the peak of what he could learn on "class X", a lv1 is a complete novice. That said, Strahd was near the peak capabilities of a necromancer specialized mage on 2e and in halfway in 5e.

AD&D 2e was also never good.

iu

Chronicles of Darkness 2e is better then WoD.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
And levels are dumb and harmful as mechanics more often than not.

I prefer WoD system; no char/class level BUT you have skill/attribute and discipline level. But levels are not THAT bad.

I also prefer milestone leveling over combat leveling.

levels aren't part of the lore, they're part of the mechanics.

Levels serves to measure how strong something is. Is not just "mechanic" Eg, a lv 20 class X reached the peak of what he could learn on "class X", a lv1 is a complete novice. That said, Strahd was near the peak capabilities of a necromancer specialized mage on 2e and in halfway in 5e.

AD&D 2e was also never good.

iu

Chronicles of Darkness 2e is better then WoD.

IDK. Never played much Chronicles of Darkness BUT Ravenloft - Domain of Dread was so much better than anything modern exactly because 2e had high lethality. The low lethality of 5e kinda destroys all sense of dread. Fight Strahd when he can insta kill you, teleport on low health, summon hordes of magically enhanced and hard to turn undead, take control over your party members, cast contigency and limited wish, maze and so on is a far more dread experience than fighting him when the worst thing that he can do is cast a cloudkill(5e cloudkill which is far less nastier than 2e) few other spells per long rest...

Talking about ravenloft, anyone here played Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession?

About BG3, i would rather 2e but lets be real. WoTC is not like Paizo. They will never license a game in a previous edition. You guys don't know how much i an happy that PF:WoTR will gonna be pathfinder 1e and not 2e. ToB is inferior than SoA exactly because BioWare had to rush and make ToB before they lost the license, so is kinda unfinished(but still great "ending" to bhaalspawn saga)

Ending on quotes because we don't know if Bhaalspawn descendants will appear on BG3.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Ending on quotes because we don't know if Bhaalspawn descendants will appear on BG3.
They'll have to retcon the canonical Bhaalspawn ending as shown in the "Murder at Baldur's Gate" 5e adventure. It wouldn't be impossible, or even especially difficult, but I wouldn't count on it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The low lethality of 5e kinda destroys all sense of dread.

First of all, 5E isn't all that different in terms of numbers from the other editions. The spells and items do basically the same amount of damage. The difference between the versions of Strahd is his level and access to spells, which was a good move for everyone involved. Second of all, you can homebrew whatever you want. Since there are no video games based on 5E, I'll have to assume you've played PnP to speak with such authority and you should know this.

The amount of 5E experts in this thread is astonishing.

Codex Year of the Donut
1. Gygax would have created a 2nd edition AD&D if he had maintained control of TSR.
2. TSR still paid Gygax royalties on all D&D products, whether AD&D 1st edition, non-advanced D&D, or AD&D 2nd edition.
3. Dave Arneson was deprived by Gary Gygax of royalties on all products bearing the name Advanced Dungeons & Dragons.

Q: Not to start a gripe session or anything, Gary, but do you mean that the revisions in 2e were doneto basically make things in AD&D less Gygaxian?

Gary: It was done so as to remove my name and have a “derivative” game for which no royalties were payable to me per agreement. to save 2.5% they wrecked the company…

Elex

Arbiter
First of all, 5E isn't all that different in terms of numbers from the other editions. The spells and items do basically the same amount of damage. The difference between the versions of Strahd is his level and access to spells, which was a good move for everyone involved. Second of all, you can homebrew whatever you want. Since there are no video games based on 5E, I'll have to assume you've played PnP to speak with such authority and you should know this.

The amount of 5E experts in this thread is astonishing.
Considering that curse of strahd is one of the most deadly 5e campaign, for example strahd in the campaign have 100 extra HP that don’t appear in the statblock because they are coming from an external stuff, and a lot of extra power/advantage based on where you meet strahd all written in the adventure.

Incendax

Augur
5E Strahd is missing the almighty level drain, which made countless players piss their pants. But he can still kick the ass of almost any party unless they make him lose his shit with Ireena.

Saravan

Savant
Interesting tidbits (Part 1 and 2 combined)

- Number of times you can use short rest is capped in between long rests, to avoid it being spammed.
- Level up screen (or the ability to level up) will be available during long rests.
- Current idea for reactions is for the player to decide, at the start of their turn, which reaction they want to trigger. Explains further that they want to avoid "pop-up" screens to stop gameflow. Talked a bit more in length in Part 1 about trying to shave off seconds here and there in turn-based combat to keep the combat feel faster (e.g. animations).
- Not having the relevant skills can result in missing out content of importance and not just flavor stuff.
- Death should be punishing and resource-heavy, there won't be resurrection scrolls everywhere (but will be in EA for playtesting purposes).

(Eagerly awaiting how Ontopoly will spin these concepts as bad).

Last edited:

Elex

Arbiter
Well if people die more than one-2 time in a 5e campaign there is two option:

The IA is set as “sadic DM that focus downed character”.

Or

The player is trash.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
- Number of times you can use short rest is capped in between long rests, to avoid it being spammed.
I thought the team takes a short rest between ever combat? So you just can't control how many short rests you can take while it's capped? Or did they change that, or am I just understanding wrong?
Explains further that they want to avoid "pop-up" screens to stop gameflow.
Turn based game worrying about gameplay flow...
- Death should be punishing and resource-heavy,
Every game ever has said this and yet we have dark souls fans claiming to have mastered it(It hasn't, death has 0 meaning in that game). This is just empty pr talk to help rpg gamers jerk themselves off. Worse case scenario all of us autistic cunts will just save scum.
At the end of the day I don't have to spin anything. Every body describes their game as the second coming and talks about what they intend for it to be like rather than what it will actually be like. It's Larian, the game will be another Larian game. Larian fans will love it, not saying much there though.

I'd like to see how you could possibly spin anything they have shown us to make it seem like they were inspired by the bg series at all. All this game is is a soulless name grab, and Swen is the thief who snatched it with the help of Mike Mearls.

Elex

Arbiter
in part two of the interview (4:25) he say level cap is not decided, but more levels make stuff more and more complicated: he make the example of wish spell.

reaction: you decide the reaction at the start of the turn.
the vampire will take damage in running water but not in still water.

Last edited:

Saravan

Savant
I thought the team takes a short rest between ever combat? So you just can't control how many short rests you can take while it's capped? Or did they change that, or am I just understanding wrong?

That's how you want to understand it because it helps your narrative, like everything else about this game. In the interview during Part II as the developer is talking about short rest mechanic you see a gameplay sequence where the player has to choose short rest as an option. The developer goes further to explain that you can't simply spam the short rest button to instantly heal fully, instead the number of uses are capped and replenished once you do a long rest.

Turn based game worrying about gameplay flow...

Or it could possibly be that a developer recognizes the main weakness of a turn-based system - as opposed to RtwP - in which the latter is able to maintain a better gameflow so they try to diminish its effects by shaving off seconds that add up, if done right. It's funny to see guys like you bring up TB-games that you like and go "look, here they try to shorten animations to speed things up, that's how it should be done" but because it's Larian who does it you of course spin it as something bad.

Every game ever has said this and yet we have dark souls fans claiming to have mastered it(It hasn't, death has 0 meaning in that game). This is just empty pr talk to help rpg gamers jerk themselves off. Worse case scenario all of us autistic cunts will just save scum.

I agree that one shouldn't make conclusions until you see how it's implemented in the game, but you take the liberty of drawing those conclusions whenever you want to draw a negative one regarding literally any concept that is still in development. So of course, when it's a positive sentiment you naturally resort back to the same fallacy you commit elsewhere.

At the end of the day I don't have to spin in. Every body describes their game as the second coming and talks about what they intend for it to be like rather than what it will actually be like. It's Larian, the game will be another Larian game. Larian fans will love it, not saying much there though.

I'd like to see how you could possibly spin anything they have shown us to make it seem like they were inspired by the bg series at all. All this game is is a soulless name grab, and Swen is the thief who snatched it with the help of Mike Mearls.

This is not my game, nor am I a fanboy, there are plenty of games I look forward to even your beloved Pathfinder WotR. I'm just highlighting your hypocrisy.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
This is not my game, nor am I a fanboy, there are plenty of games I look forward to even your beloved Pathfinder WotR. I'm just highlighting your hypocrisy.

There's no hypocrisy, you just seem to be lumping me in with every anti turn based person you know then making it seem like I agree with everything they say. I'm a very consistent person. My opinions are:
1. Larian sucks
2. Swen sucks
3. BG3 should never be made
4. mike mearls is in on it

User0001

Savant
Interesting tidbits (Part 1 and 2 combined)

- Level up screen (or the ability to level up) will be available during long rests.
- Current idea for reactions is for the player to decide, at the start of their turn, which reaction they want to trigger. Explains further that they want to avoid "pop-up" screens to stop gameflow. Talked a bit more in length in Part 1 about trying to shave off seconds here and there in turn-based combat to keep the combat feel faster (e.g. animations).
- Not having the relevant skills can result in missing out content of importance and not just flavor stuff.
- Death should be punishing and resource-heavy, there won't be resurrection scrolls everywhere (but will be in EA for playtesting purposes).

This is all incline. Everyone can suck it. I am all shill Larian Cultistor for this.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
in part two of the interview (4:25) he say level cap is not decided, but more levels make stuff more and more complicated: he make the example of wish spell.

This is pretty big for our speculation here, since they can just pull the campaign to level 11-15 if they cant find a satisfying endboss for a level 10 troupe.
I still think they should go with lvl 12, level 7 spells are no joke. Forcecage, Magnificent Mansion, Simulacrum, Teleport are all big stuff. Level 6 (characterlevel 11) has some iconic spells you want in there such as Finger of Death and Chain Lightning.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Having 99 humanity *means* something, dammit! *smashes fist on table*
It improves your resistances. HOW DARE YOU!

Also... everybody save scums. Even people that don't admit it.

Yosharian

Arcane

This is pretty big for our speculation here, since they can just pull the campaign to level 11-15 if they cant find a satisfying endboss for a level 10 troupe.
I still think they should go with lvl 12, level 7 spells are no joke. Forcecage, Magnificent Mansion, Simulacrum, Teleport are all big stuff. Level 6 (characterlevel 11) has some iconic spells you want in there such as Finger of Death and Chain Lightning.
Yeah some of those level 7 spells are just beyond broken, Forcecage in particular is just incredible

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Having 99 humanity *means* something, dammit! *smashes fist on table*
It improves your resistances. HOW DARE YOU!

Also... everybody save scums. Even people that don't admit it.
I save scum proudly and will admit it to anyone who asks. You ever see a man save scum his way through an RTS?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom