Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Elex

Arbiter
They said short rests are going to be every stretch of time between encounters. Now they changed that, as if nothing ever changes during development.
But that's coherent with how short rests work in D&D 5. In general, you are supposed to benefit from two short rests during each day.
Basically for now every change they make is a closer rule application.

also apparently the level cap is no more lvl 10 (but still not 20 we don’t know)

and maybe party size is changing?
jEeuWft.jpg

Look at that screen:
Is clearly a party of 5 origin characters.

So it appears that larian is extremely conservative in what they announce.

Saravan

Savant
They said short rests are going to be every stretch of time between encounters. Now they changed that, as if nothing ever changes during development.
But that's coherent with how short rests work in D&D 5. In general, you are supposed to benefit from two short rests during each day.

also apparently the level cap is no more lvl 10 (but still not 20 we don’t know)

jEeuWft.jpg

Look at that screen:

It's either them being conservative or keeping tabs on the community reactions. I mean they already changed initiative and dialogue style. The next two big topics of discussion (besides RtwP which is never going to happen) were level cap and party size.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Stuff changes during development and Larian/Swen is extremely afraid to take any risks because he's poured all resources into it. Maybe they shouldn't have cancelled that squad-based tactics game, but here we are. I hope they don't increase the level cap, I'm kinda ambivalent towards the party size, I'll be ok with it staying the same or increasing to 5/6.

Dodo1610

Arcane

jEeuWft.jpg

Look at that screen:

That screenshot is literally from the gameplay reveal back in February and we know since then that the max party size is four. I find it very unlikely that they change because of Coop.
Of course, you can have more than 4 party members with animal companions + summon + temporary comapions

Last edited:

Drakortha

Liturgist
Larian can't even develop Day/Night cycles into a game in current year. Baldurs Gate 1998 had them.

Larian should get out of here with their Theme Park RPG and try a different genre. Maybe movie games?

Drakortha

Liturgist
wow but look we can light puddles of oil or gas clouds on fire, and use jumping magic ability. GOTY for sure!

wait wrong year.

I hope this game flops hard for Larian. They deserve it for taking that Publisher money and having the audacity to call this Baldurs Gate 3. This is not Baldur's Gate 3. This is Baldur's Gate: Larian Edition. This has as much to do with the original series as Dark Alliance did, but at least DA didn't try to market itself otherwise.

Shut it all down.

Last edited:

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
wow but look we can light puddles of oil or gas clouds on fire, and use jumping magic ability. GOTY for sure!

wait wrong year.

I hope this game flops hard for Larian. They deserve it for taking that Publisher money and having the audacity to call this Baldurs Gate 3. This is not Baldur's Gate 3. This is Baldur's Gate: Larian Edition. This has as much to do with the original series as Dark Alliance did, but at least DA didn't try to market itself otherwise.

Shut it all down.
"I..It's NoT ReAl BaLdUUUurRRsss GaaTTe, shh..SHHHUT IT DOWNNN!!"

SNGWAM.gif

Drakortha

Liturgist

wait wrong year.

Shut it all down.

Why are you upset? Did I make the baby cry?

Drakortha

Liturgist
- Take Publisher Money
- Make Same Game for the 3rd time
- ???????
- Profit

That's exactly what's going on over there at Larian right now. Recycle old content and mechanics, throw in Baldur's Gate references in the writing and reducing color saturation by 50% on the graphics and then calling it a different game.

The reason Day/Night cycles aren't in is because DOS2 didn't have them, which only proves they are serving us the same slop again for the 3rd time. They don't see the point in spending the resources to develop anything new because gamers will buy this crap day 1 anyway and Youtubers will shill it hard. Tell me I'm wrong.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

wait wrong year.

Shut it all down.

Why are you upset? Did I make the baby cry?
Yeah,he is quite the cunt. Every time someone writes something bad about the game,there are waves of ass juice squirting trough the thread.

zapotec

Liturgist
- Take Publisher Money
- ???????
- Profit

That's exactly what's going on over there at Larian right now. Recycle old content and mechanics, throw in Baldur's Gate references in the writing and reducing color saturation by 50% on the graphics and then calling it a different game.

The reason Day/Night cycles aren't in is because DOS2 didn't have them, which only proves they are serving us the same slop again for the 3rd time. They don't see the point in spending the resources to develop anything new because gamers will buy this crap day 1 anyway and Youtubers will shill it hard. Tell me I'm wrong.

Don't worry Beamdog will implement the day/night cycle when they will make the enhanced edition!

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
- Take Publisher Money
- ???????
- Profit

tenor.gif

Shrimp

Arbiter
I was playing Pathfinder just now, and I got to Pitax, and summoned a Deva. Anyway, things that I have noticed that even Kingmaker trails off behind the BG series is minutae that made BG a superior game even 20 years after its release.

... when you summoned a dryad (or any summon that could cast spells), you could use her spells. Which influenced gameplay. Which influenced how you approached spell casting and informed the world. Which increased immersion.
... when you wanted to place a trap, you could place a trap, and you could lure your oponents into an ambush (if you saw them coming)
... there were spells in your repertoire that were flat-out there just for information

And many other things, that when compounded result in a much more complex experience.

Meaning, my hopes are that this title while improving on verticality, will not forget about the other 2 axes. There is a standard set on those that devs keep forgetting about.
The first two points on your list are literally included in Larian's most recent game (Original Sin 2). Not exactly an in-depth system in that game as I recall it, but it was a system that was implemented in the game none the less.
Of all the gameplay mechanics they might choose to scrap or exclude when porting their game engine to BG3 or whatever they're doing with it, I can't imagine those would be the ones to not make the cut.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
If I have to choose between a day/night cycle and the D:OS 2 engine, I'll take the engine every single day of my life. Honestly, I would let the D:OS 2 engine fuck me in the ass without protection. Come on, Swen, I'm ready.

The entirety of loading times in a full playthrough of D:OS 2 is comparable to a single Deadfire loading screen. Fucking hell, D:OS 2 loading times without an SSD are still noticeably shorter than Kingmaker ones with an SSD. If the price to pay for this is to give up on a day/night cycle, I can live with it.

If they go for a party size of 5, that means Josh was right all along so I'm still happy.
So you're thinking Larian will do it right no matter what, huh.
:updatedmytxt:
No, they can go for a party size of 4 and ruin my life forever.

Dodo1610

Arcane
It's funny when someone complains about Larian adding immersive, system-driven stuff into their game because BG two dimensional gameplay which had very little interactions with the gameworld outside combat and dialogue is now considered peak game design. Seems like we deserved POE because we apparently want the pale imitation.

https://gmfest.com/

In case there was ever any doubt the BG3 soundtrack will be made by Borislav Slavov who also composed the soundtrack for DOS 2

A true delight for all RPG enthusiasts. Fans will hear the world live premiere of music from Baldur’s Gate III, the upcoming continuation of cult classic games set in the Dungeons & Dragons universe. Furthermore, the other main ingredient of this event is the soundtrack of Divinity: Original Sin II – the critically acclaimed flagship title by Larian Studios. Both of these were composed by Borislav Slavov and will be performed live by the seasoned NFM Philharmonic

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
It's funny when someone complains about Larian adding immersive, system-driven stuff into their game because BG two dimensional gameplay which had very little interactions with the gameworld outside combat and dialogue is now considered peak game design. Seems like we deserved POE because we apparently want the pale imitation.
I think people just want a good imitation instead of a pale one ?

tf are you talking about, nigger?
wtf man

Last edited:

Elex

Arbiter
I think people just want a good imitation instead of a pale one ?

tf are you talking about, nigger?
wtf man
For game like BG3 people want the game exactly like they imagined it.
Nobody can give them that.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Only a thing that i need to ADDRESS. I've said that i could't imagine a campaign where you fight mindflayers dragons and other powerful creatures with lv cap = 10 and i was wrong. I was judging 5e with my past editions experience. A lot of high level monsters and NPC's one previous editions are now mid level. The Dark Lord of Barovia, who owns his own demiplane was a lv 16 necromancer back on 2e. On 5e? He is a lv 9 caster. Mindflayers which forced me to use slayer form on my first BG2 RUN are now just mid level enemies CR = 8. Elder Brain is CR = 14 BUT a party of lv 10 guys with some powers gave by story reasons and good equipment + NPC's help can probably take down one elder brain.

Here is my character when I reached chapter 5 on my new run with The Artisan’s Kitpack.

1HD5pcR.png

And as other people mentioned, underdark is divided in may layers, the upper layers aren't dominated by epic level dracoliches like Vix'thra.

So I here is. My apologizes to larian fansboys cultists for saying that Larian is destroying the story behind Mindflayers and underdark. I said things without reading basic things about 5e and was my fault. I still believe that having 3d10 eldritch blast and fighters with 3 attacks/round will be great, but i was wrong when i bitched about lv cap on BG3.

Gyor

Savant
Only a thing that i need to ADDRESS. I've said that i could't imagine a campaign where you fight mindflayers dragons and other powerful creatures with lv cap = 10 and i was wrong. I was judging 5e with my past editions experience. A lot of high level monsters and NPC's one previous editions are now mid level. The Dark Lord of Barovia, who owns his own demiplane was a lv 16 necromancer back on 2e. On 5e? He is a lv 9 caster. Mindflayers which forced me to use slayer form on my first BG2 RUN are now just mid level enemies CR = 8. Elder Brain is CR = 14 BUT a party of lv 10 guys with some powers gave by story reasons and good equipment + NPC's help can probably take down one elder brain.

Here is my character when I reached chapter 5 on my new run with The Artisan’s Kitpack.

1HD5pcR.png

And as other people mentioned, underdark is divided in may layers, the upper layers aren't dominated by epic level dracoliches like Vix'thra.

So I here is. My apologizes to larian fansboys cultists for saying that Larian is destroying the story behind Mindflayers and underdark. I said things without reading basic things about 5e and was my fault. I still believe that having 3d10 eldritch blast and fighters with 3 attacks/round will be great, but i was wrong when i bitched about lv cap on BG3.

The level cap isn't even set in stone and I think the goal eventually via DLCs or Expansions is to level 20+, because why would they keep talking about wish if they aren't going to levels 17 to 20 at some point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom