Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
In fact, games with lv cap = 10 or 9 had way more BS. On Temple of elemental evil, you have to survive a fight against a ***** demigod at lv 10.
After Iuz is summoned during the fight with High Priest Hedrack, the party only needs to survive a few rounds until St. Cuthbert intervenes --- not only departing with Iuz but resurrecting and healing the party.

As for Zuggtmoy, she (excluding possible summons) can be easily defeated by a 10th-level paladin wielding the frostbrand with 24 strength. Or by a Galbrezu summoned via the Orb.

Elex

Arbiter
unknown.png
the announcement of the annoucement of the early access date.

Shrimp

Arbiter
unknown.png
the announcement of the annoucement of the early access date.
I mean that was sort of expected, wasn't it? I really don't understand why there are so many people across various platforms who are surprised the game wasn't immediately accessible on the 1st of August.
If they were absolutely certain they'd be able to release the game's early access version in August they could've just said so. The 'maybe' part of the initial announcement implies that there were things they still had to take care of which, at the time, likely made them uncertain if the EA version would be in an acceptable state.
I'd wager that if it's even coming in August at all it'll probably be in the second half of the month. That being said I imagine they'll give an official date within the near future, both to serve as a heads-up and to build up hype and attention towards the demo.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
It teaches you to become one with Sirocco. Copy pasting 2 Wild Hunt Monarchs into a room and 10 Wild Hunt Scouts is not good encounter design. The fights aren't difficult, they are just tedious and repetitive.

Fog puzzles were kinda lame.

Are more trial and error than actually puzzles.

No one has ever said in the history of the world ever.

I said it, unironically. Favorite final dungeon.

I didagree with all of these posts but I don't want to make this a Pathfinder thread so I'm just going to write a blog post about it. The puzzles are super easy though so I don't get why people complain. Sirrico isn't even the best defense against those enemies, there is plenty of enemy variety, half the battles are optional and you only have to do them if you dont know how the fog works or want a special bow.

Mortmal

Arcane
What Larian said? MAYBE august.

What people understood? Exactly at day one of august at 0:01 with 100% grantee.
Yup and thats only 1/3 of the game likely heavily bugged. People are really desperate for a good rpg. I dont know how i will play this after pierre's boot camp, i find 3X deadly ecounters in 5E being trivial now....

Sharpedge

Prophet
Sirrico isn't even the best defense against those enemies
You said this:
It requires you to know how to deal with every situation, you had to learn from the game and put it into practice. It's like a final exam that tests your knowledge. You need to deal with high level mages, invisible and sneak attacking enemies, high ac enemies, low Ac enemies but with lots of numbers,swarms, an enemy that summons and has high dex...
And you can complete the entire of house just by spamming Sirocco. There are no fire immune enemies in the house from my memory. Sure there are lots of ways you can clear the house, but its not like its difficult or requires any high level thought to do so, it is just tedious. You can even make a character who maxes out the illusion DC and clear the entirety of house just by spamming Weird. You can push the Weird DC so high that its not possible for enemies to make the save. Or you can destroy everything with Kineticist Clouds. Polar Midnight also comes to mind as a "large scale area of effect" which is capable of easily clearing the house. Pretending that there is anything complicated about the fights inside of house is silly, its just tedious with repetitive copy pasted fights made of Wild Hunt Monarchs, Wild Hunt Scouts, Mandragora Swarms and Ghosts.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
You said this:
It requires you to know how to deal with every situation, you had to learn from the game and put it into practice. It's like a final exam that tests your knowledge. You need to deal with high level mages, invisible and sneak attacking enemies, high ac enemies, low Ac enemies but with lots of numbers,swarms, an enemy that summons and has high dex...
And you can complete the entire of house just by spamming Sirocco. There are no fire immune enemies in the house from my memory. Sure there are lots of ways you can clear the house, but its not like its difficult or requires any high level thought to do so, it is just tedious. You can even make a character who maxes out the illusion DC and clear the entirety of house just by spamming Weird. You can push the Weird DC so high that its not possible for enemies to make the save. Or you can destroy everything with Kineticist Clouds. Polar Midnight also comes to mind as a "large scale area of effect" which is capable of easily clearing the house. Pretending that there is anything complicated about the fights inside of house is silly, its just tedious with repetitive copy pasted fights made of Wild Hunt Monarchs, Wild Hunt Scouts, Mandragora Swarms and Ghosts.

Every thing is easy when you go on the codex and collaborate with a bunch of power gamers so that your ac is high enough to avoid grotus' end of times by double. By this logic every game in the world is easy and has zero challenge. I'd love for some studio to come out with a new complicated system that nobody knows the month the internet goes out so you power gamers can cry about how you can't left click every enemy with your 95 Ac and 80 attack bonus inspired by pinkeyes build. You can't honestly expect the game to be balanced around shit like that, why would I account for it in my comments about the dungeon. Of course power gaming is going to make a dungeon easy, that's the whole point of power gaming. Move this Pathfinder power gaming shit to the designated thread before you autists get me banned again.

Some people are entitled as hell for no reason. Just look at the guy the Larian rep responded to in this tweet :roll:

Yeah, imagine being desperate for this pathetic attempt at a bg game

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yeah, imagine being desperate for this pathetic attempt at a bg game

No, people are desperated fora RELATIVE good RPG(good for modern standards). Do you know how much time took to we get a good D&D adaptation? The last one was NWN2, in 2006. After it, we got "generic wow clone : D&D edition"(neverwinter mmo), mobile cashgrabs like warriors of waterdeep and complete bastardizations like sword coast legends. And even NWN2 requires heavily modding to be good(spell fixes is a must have mod). Talking about modding, Did laian mentioned anything about modding? Imagine mods like Shadow Magic mod for BG2 being easily available for BG3. That would be so amazing. Or even better, with most things related to game mechanics completely unharcoded. So people can make BG3 a 2e game.

Is easy to say that BG3 is a decline compared to 90s games however compared to modern crap games, SEEMS like a incline.

The situation with D&D games is so sad that we are getting far more good pathfinder adaptations than D&D adaptations(one in 2018 and one in 2021).

Bara

Arcane
Did laian mentioned anything about modding?.

Last thing I recall hearing about modding was back in February. When asked about it Swen that "We have plans but it's a very big game to make we're leaving everything open but what we're focusing on is really on the story campaign right now."

Could have changed by now as we've seen with the blessed dialogue and initiative/turnorder changes but I think they'd be shooting themselves in the foot by not doing it as DOS2 modding was very pretty popular.

I don't think we'll get anything amazing with BG3 in terms of mods though. The stuff we got in DOS2 was nothing to write about and there was better mod's released for PFKM even without official mod support.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I don't think we'll get anything amazing with BG3 in terms of mods though. The stuff we got in DOS2 was nothing to write about and there was better mod's released for PFKM even without official mod support.

BG2 has mods which "tries" to update to 3e https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/66842/mod-dnd-3-5-rules-in-bg-ee-and-bg2-ee-v-2-0/p1

There are even a mod which adds 3 classes and the modder re wrotte 115 SPELLS ONLY FOR SHADOW WEAVE BASED SORCERER(I din't counted, just used CTRL + F and searched for "Level: " and chrome found 115 spells) https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/64991/v1-98-shadow-magic/p1

Some spells are just "tweeks" to the original spell. Shadow comets is like Melf's Minute Meteors dealing cold damage but Summon Nightwalker and
Shapeshift: Shadow Dragon Scion are complete new models. And BG1/2 was not made with mod support in mind but you have tons of mods to both games. Gothic is another example, was made with no mod support in mind but there are mods for everything. The unique problem is that most good mods are only available on Russian/German or has a poor English translation(returning 2.0 for eg)

Sharpedge

Prophet
You said this:

Every thing is easy when you go on the codex and collaborate with a bunch of power gamers so that your ac is high enough to avoid grotus' end of times by double. By this logic every game in the world is easy and has zero challenge. I'd love for some studio to come out with a new complicated system that nobody knows the month the internet goes out so you power gamers can cry about how you can't left click every enemy with your 95 Ac and 80 attack bonus inspired by pinkeyes build. You can't honestly expect the game to be balanced around shit like that, why would I account for it in my comments about the dungeon. Of course power gaming is going to make a dungeon easy, that's the whole point of power gaming. Move this Pathfinder power gaming shit to the designated thread before you autists get me banned again.
???
You were the one who made the generalization that you, "need to deal with every situation." It is very easy to make the fights tactically more complicated and diverse than they are, say, replacing some of those wild hunt scouts with a magic immune golem or 2. The fact of the matter is, you do not need a diverse array of tactics to deal with the house. You can take 1 set of tactics and apply them generically to every fight inside of the house. House is not a good example of a final dungeon that requires a diverse range of tactics to deal with the fights. A much better example from even a recent game without even going back to the pre 2000's is (funnily enough) the last dungeon in Neverwinter Nights 2. Where after being teleported in you need to clear all the way until right before the final boss without resting. You are forced to use different tactics, because all of your resources are depleted as you go along. Furthermore, the fights aren't just one thing repeated over and over again there, unlike the fights in house.

And it isn't that I don't like Pathfinder. I stopped lurking on this forum because I enjoyed pathfinder and wanted to discuss it. Criticism isn't only reserved for games we don't like. It is important to acknowledge the flaws in games we do like, in the hopes that they improve on them in further installments.

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I can't think of a single dungeon worse than the house at the edge of time. Even Arcanum mines have more diverse encounters.

Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor gets constantly shitted on, yet its first dungeon is a hundred times better than the hateot.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
No, people are desperated fora RELATIVE good RPG(good for modern standards). Do you know how much time took to we get a good D&D adaptation? The last one was NWN2, in 2006.
D&D Tactics for the PSP came out in 2007 and is a better D&D adaptation than NWN2, it's actually turn based and follows the rules more closely. It also gets bonus points for not being set in the Sword Coast.

After that it's just been utter dross though, it's incomprehensible why WotC let the license go to waste for so long.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom