Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate III by Larian Studios - Early Access launch date announcement on August 18th

Discussion in 'Larian Studios' started by Belegarsson, May 30, 2019.

1. S0rcererV1ct0r Cipher

S0rcererV1ct0r
    Some time ago, someone posted a thread complaing about permanent effects on PFKM(which can be turned off on difficulty menu) and the same reviewer praised Baldur's Gate 1. A game which you can find basilisks early on that can perma petrificate your party members and the stone to flesh can only be casted on scrolls and are insanely overpriced...

About Larian, I don't like dos2 but realize that is a amazing game for those who like modern rpg mechanics. While PFKM is amazing for those who like 90s/earlier 00s mechanics. Both games are great in appealing to his respective target audience. I an old school in every aspect of my life. Even in my job. Believe or not, my last Job was working with legacy systems written on Pascal(now I an unemployed). With Cars, I prefer old cars. With firearms, I prefer fire old firearms. I don't own firearms, but visited a lot of Firing ranges.

One thing which disappoints me, is that 5e is finally getting a proper adaptation, all other adaptations are mobile cashgrabs and failures like SCL. BG3 will happen most of the part on sword coast. And I really wish to see more. Visit elemental planes, abyss, lower dark, and other cool locations. Look to earlier 90s SSI games.
    • Games set on Dark Sun
    • Games set on realms of Dread(Barovia and the desert realm on stone prophet)
    • Games set in assaulting the Myth Drannor(Eye of the Beholder III)
    • Games set in the freaking space(Spelljammer: Pirates of Realmspace)
    • (...)
    This is one of the reasons which I loved PFKM; The first world is threated with the well deserved respect. Sword Coast is ok, but why 99% of games are set on it?

Other problem is that the DM needs to be very good to challenge the party in a fun way. 3.5e high level is so boring to DM that my old group had to made a "dm queue" and each week, one guy DM the game.

• STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Elex Arbiter

Elex

• incline incline x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. RPK Learned

RPK
    that sounds more like a guarantee you won't get anything from someone you preorder from.

• incline incline x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. S0rcererV1ct0r Cipher

S0rcererV1ct0r
    Other thing that I really wish that Larian will NOT do on BG3 is gimmicky battles. Like Melissan and Sendai. I HATE it. Let me fight enemies under the same rules as my character is. Gimmicky bosses are the worst BS not only on BG franchise. The reason to why i re played DS2 far more than DS1 is Bed of Chaos and the reason to why I re played far more SoA than ToB is it. Note that Sendai is not subjected to the same BS only 5 summon limit. And she keeps teleporting all around the map. She seems to have UNLIMITED SPELL SLOTS too. When I tried to solo ToB, I had to use 150k gold on magical scrolls. I even lowered the difficulty from insane to normal. She also goes from near dead to full healtg and teleports with no way to interrupt. I counted and she teleported 72 times on my last battle and healed with no casting time and interruption possibility 16 times. Only on final stage, after the 6 statues got destroyed. Everything that she summons is high level and high magical resistant. So is a waste of time to use spells on her. The best strategy is to use as a necromancer is to cast stoneskin, black blade of disaster, tenser transformation and summon Efreets, not to damage her but to serve as a distraction. Her AI is too dumb and some times, she casts high level fire magic on your Efreets.

One thing that i really wish that BG3 will not do is gimmicky bosses. Put the bosses under the same rule of the player.

The insane amount of gimmicky bosses and linearity is why IMO ToB is extremely inferior to SoA.

• (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Dodo1610 Magister

Dodo1610
    You missed the best part

:happytrollboy:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Shrimp Learned

Shrimp
    ???
    How is that supposed to help or change anything at all? The key sellers can just change the date on their website to match the official launch date.

^ Top  
  7. Thac0 Hopeless Optimist Patron

Thac0

• incline incline x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Sharpedge Learned

Sharpedge
    That sure is an interesting way to describe it. The first time I did it I full cleared it, every other time (and I finished the game 4 or 5 times) I just beelined to the exit, taking the shortest route possible and skipping almost everything.

It teaches you to become one with Sirocco. Copy pasting 2 Wild Hunt Monarchs into a room and 10 Wild Hunt Scouts is not good encounter design. The fights aren't difficult, they are just tedious and repetitive.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Thonius Prophet

Thonius
    Fog puzzles were kinda lame.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Silva Arcane

Silva
    Because you're a retardo.

DS2 is crappiest crap in the series, and no Bed of Chaos can change that.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. S0rcererV1ct0r Cipher

S0rcererV1ct0r
    Wrong. DS2 has the best NG+, has Hexes, greatest amount of content, and is the unique game where you don't see 99% of people on PvP using fast swinging blades, has the best fashion souls, on DS3, they made armor worthless, and all about speed...

Are more trial and error than actually puzzles.

One thing which I hate on 99% of RPG's, is puzzles. Is rarely done right. Is mostly "here is your lv 20 barbarian that can cut thick dragon scales with his axe. He is pulling random levers to open this amazing wooden door. Now go waste your time pressing random levers or ATB + TAB to google to find the solution". Puzzles often makes no sense. On nwn1 - hotu, doesn't matter if your sorcerer can stop the time and throw meteors, he needs to lure a mimic to a trap because somehow the trap's fire is different than the fire which your magic can produce. It is not fun, nor engaging, nor interesting. IT Is just boring.

• retadred retadred x 3
    ^ Top  
  12. Harthwain Scholar

Harthwain
    Who is "we" in this scenario? Larian?

^ Top  
  13. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford

^ Top  
  14. Harthwain Scholar

Harthwain
    Ah. Didn't notice that. Thanks.

^ Top  
  15. Zed Duke of Banville Zo Kath Ra Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    After Iuz is summoned during the fight with High Priest Hedrack, the party only needs to survive a few rounds until St. Cuthbert intervenes --- not only departing with Iuz but resurrecting and healing the party.

As for Zuggtmoy, she (excluding possible summons) can be easily defeated by a 10th-level paladin wielding the frostbrand with 24 strength. Or by a Galbrezu summoned via the Orb.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Elex Arbiter

Elex
    [​IMG]the announcement of the annoucement of the early access date.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Shrimp Learned

Shrimp
    I mean that was sort of expected, wasn't it? I really don't understand why there are so many people across various platforms who are surprised the game wasn't immediately accessible on the 1st of August.
    If they were absolutely certain they'd be able to release the game's early access version in August they could've just said so. The 'maybe' part of the initial announcement implies that there were things they still had to take care of which, at the time, likely made them uncertain if the EA version would be in an acceptable state.
    I'd wager that if it's even coming in August at all it'll probably be in the second half of the month. That being said I imagine they'll give an official date within the near future, both to serve as a heads-up and to build up hype and attention towards the demo.

^ Top  
  18. NJClaw Ontopolover Patron

NJClaw
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    No one has ever said in the history of the world ever.

^ Top  
  19. Ontopoly Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Village Idiot

Ontopoly
    I said it, unironically. Favorite final dungeon.

I didagree with all of these posts but I don't want to make this a Pathfinder thread so I'm just going to write a blog post about it. The puzzles are super easy though so I don't get why people complain. Sirrico isn't even the best defense against those enemies, there is plenty of enemy variety, half the battles are optional and you only have to do them if you dont know how the fog works or want a special bow.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. S0rcererV1ct0r Cipher

S0rcererV1ct0r
    What Larian said? MAYBE august.

What people understood? Exactly at day one of august at 0:01 with 100% grantee.

^ Top  
  21. Shrimp Learned

Shrimp
    Some people are entitled as hell for no reason. Just look at the guy the Larian rep responded to in this tweet :roll:

^ Top  
  22. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    Yup and thats only 1/3 of the game likely heavily bugged. People are really desperate for a good rpg. I dont know how i will play this after pierre's boot camp, i find 3X deadly ecounters in 5E being trivial now....

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Sharpedge Learned

Sharpedge
    You said this:
    And you can complete the entire of house just by spamming Sirocco. There are no fire immune enemies in the house from my memory. Sure there are lots of ways you can clear the house, but its not like its difficult or requires any high level thought to do so, it is just tedious. You can even make a character who maxes out the illusion DC and clear the entirety of house just by spamming Weird. You can push the Weird DC so high that its not possible for enemies to make the save. Or you can destroy everything with Kineticist Clouds. Polar Midnight also comes to mind as a "large scale area of effect" which is capable of easily clearing the house. Pretending that there is anything complicated about the fights inside of house is silly, its just tedious with repetitive copy pasted fights made of Wild Hunt Monarchs, Wild Hunt Scouts, Mandragora Swarms and Ghosts.

• How about this as a button How about this as a button x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    belgian august starts after queen matilde bakes the season's waffle

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Ontopoly Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Village Idiot

Ontopoly
    Every thing is easy when you go on the codex and collaborate with a bunch of power gamers so that your ac is high enough to avoid grotus' end of times by double. By this logic every game in the world is easy and has zero challenge. I'd love for some studio to come out with a new complicated system that nobody knows the month the internet goes out so you power gamers can cry about how you can't left click every enemy with your 95 Ac and 80 attack bonus inspired by pinkeyes build. You can't honestly expect the game to be balanced around shit like that, why would I account for it in my comments about the dungeon. Of course power gaming is going to make a dungeon easy, that's the whole point of power gaming. Move this Pathfinder power gaming shit to the designated thread before you autists get me banned again.

Yeah, imagine being desperate for this pathetic attempt at a bg game

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.