Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 hate thread

Vatnik Wumao
Absolutely hilarious to read how low IQ neckbeards here think they can judge what bad or good writing entails.
Not only that, but the writing in Baldur’s Gate was never great. It was serviceable.
Which BG3's writing won't be.

Which you are capable of concluding based on fragmented pre-alpha gameplay? With your Nostradomus level of foresight I should hire you to pick out my stock investments.
Certainly looks that way from the footage that we've seen so far. Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I doubt that it won't be shit.

It might be, but I like to have all facts on the table before forming an opinion else it's just an assumption. But I guess it sounds more edgy if you write with such confidence?
There's nothing edgy in criticizing a product. I'll change my views in light of new material which points towards good writing, but otherwise I prefer to assume the worst (and thus not be be disappointed if I'm proven right in my negative outlook). It's Larian's job as a provider of goods to win me over through their advertising at the end of the day.

And yeah, I could take a middle of the road approach, but there's too much shitty content - both preexisting and in the making - as to maintain a detached, neutral perspective for every new title being advertised in this industry. Call it arrogance on my part, but I'm fully content with my stance and I have no problem in acknowledging the merits of a game which I had previously criticized if I'm proven wrong post-release.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
It might be, but I like to have all facts on the table before forming an opinion else it's just an assumption. But I guess it sounds more edgy if you write with such confidence?
if everyone was like you they would still have shit dialogue style and team initiative. We need to use our voices and hopefully at least get a name change. Probably won't happen but we need to try and we need to hold these companies accountable to their stupid decisions.

Saravan

Savant
Absolutely hilarious to read how low IQ neckbeards here think they can judge what bad or good writing entails.
Not only that, but the writing in Baldur’s Gate was never great. It was serviceable.
Which BG3's writing won't be.

Which you are capable of concluding based on fragmented pre-alpha gameplay? With your Nostradomus level of foresight I should hire you to pick out my stock investments.
Certainly looks that way from the footage that we've seen so far. Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I doubt that it won't be shit.

There's nothing edgy in criticizing a product. I'll change my views in light of new material which points towards good writing, but otherwise I prefer to assume the worst (and thus not be be disappointed if I'm proven right in my negative outlook). It's Larian's job as a provider of goods to win me over through their advertising at the end of the day.

And yeah, I could take a middle of the road approach, but there's too much shitty content - both preexisting and in the making - as to maintain a detached, neutral perspective for every new title being advertised in this industry. Call it arrogance on my part, but I'm fully content with my stance and I have no problem in acknowledging the merits of a game which I had previously criticized if I'm proven wrong post-release.

That's not what I said, and feel free to do as you like. Personally find it intellectually dishonest to claim with such certainty as you have, that a game's writing won't be serviceable on the limited information at hand.

if everyone was like you they would still have shit dialogue style and team initiative. We need to use our voices and hopefully at least get a name change. Probably won't happen but we need to try and we need to hold these companies accountable to their stupid decisions.

Quote any post I have made where I have defended the dialogue system or team initiative.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Quote any post I have made where I have defended the dialogue system or team initiative.
Quote the post where you rose up and used your voice to make a difference. Inaction is an action. And your actions are harming the rpg world

Lilliput McHammersmith

What's up with Larian cultists and their silly gimmick accounts? One guy thinks he's a skull and the other thinks he's a cult leader. And then they actually expect you to take their comments seriously when they can't even take their accounts seriously. Passionless. Soulless. Spineless. And they don't even know who they want to be

Dude you’re kind of a bad troll. You were decent enough in the beginning, but now you are just getting lazy.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler

What's up with Larian cultists and their silly gimmick accounts? One guy thinks he's a skull and the other thinks he's a cult leader. And then they actually expect you to take their comments seriously when they can't even take their accounts seriously. Passionless. Soulless. Spineless. And they don't even know who they want to be

Dude you’re kind of a bad troll. You were decent enough in the beginning, but now you are just getting lazy.
Only a troll would mistake passion for trolling. Trolls see trolls everywhere. Gimmicky accounts should be banned on spot

Lilliput McHammersmith

Only a troll would mistake passion for trolling. Trolls see trolls everywhere. Gimmicky accounts should be banned on spot
Dude trying to pretend that you don’t recognize Morte, and then claiming that I’m a “gimmick” account because I have Morte as my profile pic is either bad trolling or the most pathetic “passion” I’ve ever seen.

Saravan

Savant
Quote the post where you rose up and used your voice to make a difference. Inaction is an action. And your actions are harming the rpg world

Yeah for sure. I think it's the 5G towers Swen has setup around Europe that is blocking my ability to stop him from ruining the RPG world.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler

Yeah for sure. I think it's the 5G towers Swen has setup around Europe that is blocking my ability to stop him from ruining the RPG world.
I think it's the fact that you're not taking any of this serious

Ulysa

Scholar
I thought I was fine with turn based but the more I keep playing both systems, the more I conclude RTwP is the best option for tactical AND more fun.
I'm playing P:K in real time I then go watch BG3 stream and is like watching a golf game.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
I thought I was fine with turn based but the more I keep playing both systems, the more I conclude RTwP is the best option for tactical AND more fun.
I'm playing P:K in real time I then go watch BG3 stream and is like watching a golf game.
Don't let the TB fanatics tell you otherwise. They're just autists who get overwhelmed by all the visual and mathematical information that goes on in RTwP.
Basically you need to have at least an above average intelligence to enjoy RTwP and recognize that it's better than TB.
TB enthusiasts are literally braindead, drooling morons.

Saravan

Savant
Don't let the TB fanatics tell you otherwise. They're just autists who get overwhelmed by all the visual and mathematical information that goes on in RTwP.
Basically you need to have at least an above average intelligence to enjoy RTwP and recognize that it's better than TB.
TB enthusiasts are literally braindead, drooling morons.

oz4Ci3y.jpg

So I presume you are a fan of TB?

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Turn based is decline, unless we are talking about 4X games or other deep strategy/simulation games. I am sorry but that is how it is, if you love your filthy casul rpgs like Larian's games turn based, you are actually advocating for the destruction of 25 years of gaming development and the return to the gaming stone age. Proper monocled high IQ RPGers prefer realtime.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Turn based is decline, unless we are talking about 4X games or other deep strategy/simulation games. I am sorry but that is how it is, if you love your filthy casul rpgs like Larian's games turn based, you are actually advocating for the destruction of 25 years of gaming development and the return to the gaming stone age. Proper monocled high IQ RPGers prefer realtime.
This but unironically.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Shitposting aside then, I want someone to explain to me how Larian schlock is so beloved on the Codex, maybe I'm retarded so I don't get it.
The quality of an RPG is firstly measured through complexity of mechanics, character building and polished combat.
D:OS and D:OS2 even more so fails at the first two, but it does have alright combat. That said, it's like running around and splashing in a puddle. Is it fun? I guess. You know what's more fun? Swimming in an ocean.

Perfect example is Underrail, I would argue it has excellent combat, but it also has mechanics and character building that puts Larian games to shame. You could come up with at least 7-8 builds that feel unique and play differently. Without doing some weird shit like splitting your offensive skills equally. Then you've got pure builds and hybrids, I mean it's ridiculous.

The only real choice in D:OS 2? Do I wanna go full phys or full magic. That's really the one defining choice.
And the Codex thinks this is good? It's like I'm in bizzaro world or something. At least D:OS had Cyseal which was charming. That's it, Cyseal and polished combat. D:OS 2 has fucking nothing going for it apart from the polished combat.

Lilliput McHammersmith

Shitposting aside then, I want someone to explain to me how Larian schlock is so beloved on the Codex, maybe I'm retarded so I don't get it.
The quality of an RPG is firstly measured through complexity of mechanics, character building and polished combat.
D:OS and D:OS2 even more so fails at the first two, but it does have alright combat. That said, it's like running around and splashing in a puddle. Is it fun? I guess. You know what's more fun? Swimming in an ocean.

Perfect example is Underrail, I would argue it has excellent combat, but it also has mechanics and character building that puts Larian games to shame. You could come up with at least 7-8 builds that feel unique and play differently. Without doing some weird shit like splitting your offensive skills equally. Then you've got pure builds and hybrids, I mean it's ridiculous.

The only real choice in D:OS 2? Do I wanna go full phys or full magic. That's really the one defining choice.
And the Codex thinks this is good? It's like I'm in bizzaro world or something. At least D:OS had Cyseal which was charming. That's it, Cyseal and polished combat. D:OS 2 has fucking nothing going for it apart from the polished combat.

I don't know where you have been but your complaints against D:OS2 are pretty universally shared on the Codex. I think you are suffering from some confirmation bias. I like D:OS2 a lot, but yes, the character building leaves a LOT to be desired. As I have said many times on this site, it's the main thing that discourages me from replaying it again.

D:OS2 is not perfect at all, and neither is Underrail. I will say that I have tried to play Underrail a few times but I never got very far, but I did finish D:OS2 without dropping it once.

It has great combat (IMO), great music, and the narrator is pretty great. I never finished D:OS1 however.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
and neither is Underrail
Nah, Underrail is pretty perfect.
And your post illustrates what I mean when I say Larianfags are harbingers of decline.
If the mechanics are simple, and the character building is shit, then the combat is not only repetative since your character building choices don't matter, but it's also rather simple. If it's polished really doesn't matter after that point.
So it's not really a good RPG.
great music, and the narrator is pretty great.
That's icing on the cake, too bad the cake is shit.

Lilliput McHammersmith

and neither is Underrail
Nah, Underrail is pretty perfect.
And your post illustrates what I mean when I say Larianfags are harbingers of decline.
If the mechanics are simple, and the character building is shit, then the combat is not only repetative since your character building choices don't matter, but it's also rather simple. If it's polished really doesn't matter after that point.
So it's not really a good RPG.
great music, and the narrator is pretty great.
That's icing on the cake, too bad the cake is shit.

Hahah ok buddy. I liked D:OS2 but I'm not sure how that makes me a "larianfag" or a "harbinger of decline"

I agree with you that the combat is fairly simple, but that doesn't mean it's bad. Fallout's combat is fairly simple as well, and it's still a fantastic RPG.

I never claimed that D:OS2 was the greatest RPG of all time, or anything like that. I just liked it.

I like other games more, including both Baldur's Gate games.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
If I can't autistically make dozens of builds in a relatively mechanically complex game, than I wouldn't consider it to be a particularly good RPG.
Yes Fallout is good with its C&C and story and it used to be my favorite, but tastes change.
I guess that's where we diverge.
I never claimed that D:OS2 was the greatest RPG of all time
I never said you did, I just think it's okay, not good, so when people praise it or Larian I don't get it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom