Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 hate thread

Lilliput McHammersmith

I thought I was fine with turn based but the more I keep playing both systems, the more I conclude RTwP is the best option for tactical AND more fun.
I'm playing P:K in real time I then go watch BG3 stream and is like watching a golf game.

greetings, newfriend!
i wonder what you find fun in rtwp clusterfuck where everything moves all over the place
the only good thing about it is that it's faster to take on trash mobs
Hellou! Well for me it's 1) Your formation matters instead of who roles initiative first. So it's very cool to see your tank dealing with shit while your melee start dashing and flanking the enemies like velocirraptors and your puny casters are in the back singing. 2) It just feels so epic seeing the team doing all the things at the same time like an X-Men movie. 3) You don't have to wait for x character turn to do combos.
But yes, it is definitely more chaotic and you make unplanned mistakes, lose time, etc, so it is all very wild compared to a chess game, but well that's part of the charm.
I can still enjoy turn based though.

The reason I’m excited for it to be TB, is because pretty much all “recent” D&D games (as well as spiritual successors) have been rtwp.

• Baldur’s Gate 1&2
  • Icewind Dale 1&2
  • Planescape: Torment
  • Neverwinter Nights 1/2 + all expansions
  • Pathfinder Kingmaker
  • Pillars 1&2
  • Dragon Age series
  • KOTOR 1&2
The only turn based games I know of that are based on D&D 3+ are Temple of Elemental Evil and KOTC. There are some exciting ones coming out soon, but I think that rtwp has been done to death at this point.

Ulysa

Scholar
The reason I’m excited for it to be TB, is because pretty much all “recent” D&D games (as well as spiritual successors) have been rtwp.

• Baldur’s Gate 1&2
  • Icewind Dale 1&2
  • Planescape: Torment
  • Neverwinter Nights 1/2 + all expansions
  • Pathfinder Kingmaker
  • Pillars 1&2
  • Dragon Age series
  • KOTOR 1&2
The only turn based games I know of that are based on D&D 3+ are Temple of Elemental Evil and KOTC. There are some exciting ones coming out soon, but I think that rtwp has been done to death at this point.
I'm sure all coming major isometric rpg are going to be turn based now. Or will include the option BG3 will be a success like DOS2, although I think is all thanks to a smooth coop experience that is difficult with rtwp.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
I don't hate TB but I find it getting stale after some time.
Or, "I have attention span of a goldfish".
In RTwP where everything moves keeps you on the edge and it's quite exhilarating. And faster.
Dungeon Siege 1 - the pinnacle of real-time RPGs. You don't have to press anything - the game literally plays itself.

I got so damn bored with both DoS1 and DoS2. Their stories made me fall asleep. Doesn't matter how good the gameplay is. I play RPG's to enjoy the story and be able to choose to role play a character, not kill some fire slug with perfect turn based precision.

NotSerious

Novice
Patron
RPG Wokedex
I believe BG3 will be fine, benefiting from tabletop ruleset/forgotten realms ambiance constraining Larians more out there "takes".

But I will be surprised if its mind blowing. Not surprised the community is so nervous about them touching this franchise, it lacks some of the key components people recognize from BG2 (the beautiful locations and art for instance).

Maybe Neverwinter Nights would have been a less contentious title for them to follow.

I believe BG3 will be fine, benefiting from tabletop ruleset/forgotten realms ambiance constraining Larians more out there "takes".

But I will be surprised if its mind blowing. Not surprised the community is so nervous about them touching this franchise, it lacks some of the key components people recognize from BG2 (the beautiful locations and art for instance).

Maybe Neverwinter Nights would have been a less contentious title for them to follow.

Story is gonna suck. Also, the graphics look WAY too sunny, bright and cartoony.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I got so damn bored with both DoS1 and DoS2. Their stories made me fall asleep. Doesn't matter how good the gameplay is. I play RPG's to enjoy the story and be able to choose to role play a character, not kill some fire slug with perfect turn based precision.

Just like Sweeper said, DOS1 and DOS2 had garbage gameplay. That is why they are trash as games. They have no redeeming qualities outside of the cute graphics. Which is all that matters to get some sales on steam, cute Warcraft-y graphics and nostalgia-bait. And lots of shills.

There are so many design issues with DOS games that i can't begin to comprehend how the fuck those people got involved in the game industry. I also can't believe that so many "professional reviewers" (my ass) gave them so easy 10/10s. This is so retarded.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler

Just like Sweeper said, DOS1 and DOS2 had garbage gameplay. That is why they are trash as games. They have no redeeming qualities outside of the cute graphics. Which is all that matters to get some sales on steam, cute Warcraft-y graphics and nostalgia-bait. And lots of shills.

There are so many design issues with DOS games that i can't begin to comprehend how the fuck those people got involved in the game industry. I also can't believe that so many "professional reviewers" (my ass) gave them so easy 10/10s. This is so retarded.
There's a reason swen left his IP behind. He realised it sucks. It's just unfortunate he decided to bring all his garbage with him to the new one. Like what's even the point of looking for a new start?

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Absolutely hilarious to read how low IQ neckbeards here think they can judge what bad or good writing entails.
Not only that, but the writing in Baldur’s Gate was never great. It was serviceable.
Which BG3's writing won't be.

Which you are capable of concluding based on fragmented pre-alpha gameplay? With your Nostradomus level of foresight I should hire you to pick out my stock investments.
Certainly looks that way from the footage that we've seen so far. Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I doubt that it won't be shit.

It might be, but I like to have all facts on the table before forming an opinion else it's just an assumption. But I guess it sounds more edgy if you write with such confidence?

Might I interest you in the purchase of a bridge?

Last edited:

Saravan

Savant
Absolutely hilarious to read how low IQ neckbeards here think they can judge what bad or good writing entails.
Not only that, but the writing in Baldur’s Gate was never great. It was serviceable.
Which BG3's writing won't be.

Which you are capable of concluding based on fragmented pre-alpha gameplay? With your Nostradomus level of foresight I should hire you to pick out my stock investments.
Certainly looks that way from the footage that we've seen so far. Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I doubt that it won't be shit.

It might be, but I like to have all facts on the table before forming an opinion else it's just an assumption. But I guess it sounds more edgy if you write with such confidence?

Might I interest you in the purchase of a bridge?

Does it include a troll under it or am I expected to play the part?

May I interest you in the purchase of a bridge?
I think you could easily sell him a fence. I'm sure his is looking right with all the sitting he does on it

Don't worry Ontopoly I'm not sitting on the fence. From what I have seen on the game mechanics of BG3 it will be right up my alley. On the matter of fence sitting, I was only talking about how I personally believe you can't judge the writing by reading 2 pages out of an unfinished book. Yeah sure you can gauge it perhaps, but this early in development for a game you haven't even played? Nah, that sounds like acting in bad faith to me. Now carry on screaming into the void.

On the matter of fence sitting, I was only talking about how I personally believe you can't judge the writing by reading 2 pages out of an unfinished book. .

True, but you can always predict the quality of any literature based on the author's previous works...In this case, it is not promising to say the least.

Lilliput McHammersmith

There's a reason swen left his IP behind. He realised it sucks. It's just unfortunate he decided to bring all his garbage with him to the new one. Like what's even the point of looking for a new start?
Haha what? How did he “leave his IP behind”?

They’re still developing Fallen Heroes, even if it’s on hold while they finish BG3

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Didn't they choose to go with a writing style that was sort of in the third person, narrative style?

"I asked how the writing could be written in reference to the person I was, at the time, speaking to myself about. It was a strange and impersonal way of relating events, reminiscent of a certain drow who would ask his arch-nemesis (who was standing directly before him) if 'Artemis Entreri had at last found his match'. I pondered this decision for some time, deep in thought, deep in reflection, at a loss to relate it to chapters past and events apparently forgotten. Until - at last - I found myself staring...at my own asshole".

But I think they've dropped that. So that's a plus. I take it the person who thought it was a great idea hasn't been accidently fallen of the roof? So plenty more great ideas where that non-starter came from. :incline:

Goldschmidt

Learned
Don't let the TB fanatics tell you otherwise. They're just autists who get overwhelmed by all the visual and mathematical information that goes on in RTwP.
Basically you need to have at least an above average intelligence to enjoy RTwP and recognize that it's better than TB.
TB enthusiasts are literally braindead, drooling morons.

Agreed my son. Baldur's Gate 3 is a monstrosity in the making. Retarded turn based combat with a horrible camera. And I don't even care about the storyline and world setting at this point. It is a travasty that shits all over the legendary BG saga.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
And honestly why does it have to be so divided? RTwP is good, and so is TB.
TB is good, sure. But RTwP is better.
It is however understandable why autists are overwhelmed by RTwP though. I sympathize with all the TB fags.

Lilliput McHammersmith

And honestly why does it have to be so divided? RTwP is good, and so is TB.
TB is good, sure. But RTwP is better.
It is however understandable why autists are overwhelmed by RTwP though. I sympathize with all the TB fags.
I know that saying the only reason people don’t like RTwP is because they’re autistic makes you think you’re edgy, but there are legitimate criticisms of RTwP, that are not “there are too many things going on at once”

For example, even though I actually really like RTwP, I was constantly frustrated when playing KOTOR and DAO when I was younger because despite being RTwP, it was still round-based. So I wondered at the point of making it into this weird hybrid system, when it was still essentially turn-based anyways.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
I know that saying the only reason people don’t like RTwP is because they’re autistic makes you think you’re edgy, but there are legitimate criticisms of RTwP, that are not “there are too many things going on at once”

For example, even though I actually really like RTwP, I was constantly frustrated when playing KOTOR and DAO when I was younger because despite being RTwP, it was still round-based. So I wondered at the point of making it into this weird hybrid system, when it was still essentially turn-based anyways.
Ok autist.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom