Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear Pre-Release Thread

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Also, the new npcs:

Schael Corwin: Human Archer
Voghiln the Vast: Dwarf Skald
M’Khiin Grubdoubler: Goblin Shaman
Glint Gardnersonson: Gnome Cleric/Thief

aVENGER

Arcane
Developer
So it's an expansion for BGEE? Would I have to play that to get characters leveled for this?

I'm not 100% on this, but I think you'll be able to create a character and dive straight into this. I think I heard that during the stream.

Yes.

If you want, you can start Siege of Dragonspear with a brand new character (without completing BG:EE) and he/she will have enough experience to reach a level that's suitable for the expansion. It's the exact same approach that was used in Throne of Bhaal.

getter77

Augur
I want to think they can get it right in full this time coming off of IWD EE, though mostly I'm interested in seeing what they've got reckoned for this new Shaman class at the higher levels of their eventual master plan of exporting to BG II and whatnot---that'll be quite a lot more work and considerations than the sort of things they've done up to now when it comes to entirely new Feats and whatnot. Granted, based on what I caught of the mini-stream, it seems they'll have some easy outs, if they choose to take them, by just dipping liberally into the stock Druid pool and whatnot...but even that could only do so much.

Given their process of pitching for this new class, I have to think they want to get something robust going as I would've moreso expected some sort of horribly broken melee class or spin on a blaster caster as opposed to some sort of summons-crazy Shaman, especially within the general limitations of the Infinite Engine...

SniperHF

Arcane
Is there some weird legal or contract reason this couldn't be a completely stand alone item?

Ninjerk

Arcane
So, Beamdog is nto only taking Obsidian's claim to the Infinity Engine spiritual successor thinguie, but also got Chris Avellone as well? LOL

Funny thing is, this might end up better than PoE.

I tried to tell people that in the Twitch stream and someone outed me. Fess up shitlord :argh:

Lol, this game looks way fucking better than PoE, I would bet $100 bucks it will blow PoE out of the water... and the main reason is it will be based on AD&D and not whatever the fuck PoE is..

DeepOcean

Arcane
Beamdog making a Baldur's Gate game that might turn decent with the collaboration of Chris Avellone... oh the irony.:lol:

Atchodas

Augur
They are actually making it with shiny graphix this time lol ? would not feel right .

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hmmm, all this media hype but they haven't updated their site or blog yet.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Live demo starts around 1hour into that stream, has random little gaps where they throw up the game logo, but goes for quite awhile (30mins in right now). UI is getting uglier, but this seems pretty cool. Will probably end up getting this one.

Anyone who has played any of the EEs that can speak towards Beamdog's encounter design? There has been some decent variety on this stream, but in those were they any good at eg. using the environment to put gaps between your party and enemy ranged ambushers, decent enemy party make-ups, breakable barricades etc. ? Or just melee groups that came from one direction that you pounded with no thought?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Beamdog making a Baldur's Gate game that might turn decent with the collaboration of Chris Avellone... oh the irony.:lol:

You mean there was a decent BG-clone released early this year? I did not know that.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Some more pics:

screen01.jpg

screen02.jpg

screen03.jpg

screen08.jpg

screen09.jpg

screen11.jpg

screen13.jpg

screen14.jpg

screen15.jpg

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
If they start releasing new BG expansions now (and potentially also BG3 in the future) I will never be finished with my LP.

Fuck you, Beamdog!

Between this and the new Dragon Ball anime, I feel like I am back in 1999. :bounce:

Perkel

Arcane
new expansion====

- Ok expected some 1-2h adventure got full huge expansion pack.
- Original Voice Actors ? Yes please !
- Well at least one good scene is guaranteed (death of Dynaheir)
- Wondering about lvl cap. Well at the end of journey they maybe will be downgraded by some spell or power and that is why bunch of thugs could surprise them at start of BG2...
- New items ? And they seem to get why some items are awesome..
- UI ? must see that first. BG2 UI imo (with HD mod) was best UI for isometric RPGs.

official BGT====

- yes please. 350h rpg ? Why not ?
- they should rebalance some kits from BG2 (totem druid is op as fuck with his spirits, same as polymorph into spider from other kit)
- Would be awesome if they would do epilogues for CHARNAME being part of the game TW3 witcher style and then firing up just few more sentences on pages for the rest. It doesn't need much really for those scenes. Just some miniquests leading to finale of character story. Like for example CHARNAME ending up with whiny bitch Aeris. Epilogue would show both of them going on the road or something stopping at inn, maybe some small quest there and when they reach site exit it would fire up page with their "what happened later"
- would standardize all modding community finally.
- I think i don't need to say it but official BGT campaig should be completely tied without going back to menu and so on just like BGT mod did.

Atchodas

Augur
- UI ? must see that first. BG2 UI imo (with HD mod) was best UI for isometric RPGs.
You can move UI real time , and they talked a bit about modding support and creating UI's so this wont be a problem

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Reposting some stuff I said a while back:

Beamdog is just another indie outfit that initially bit off more than they could chew, like Harebrained Schemes w/ Dead Man's Switch. I realize the whole "DEFILING MAH CLASSICS" thing is a trigger word, but people should probably give them a break.

Bad first impressions kill. BG:EE came out half-baked and now, over two years later, people on this forum still won't let it go.

Of course, that hasn't stopped Harebrained Schemes from miraculously becoming one of the Codex's most beloved developers (wait for the GOTY results...)

I guess HBS' rehabilitation is good news for Beamdog, though. If they can make a game like Dragonfall (ie, well-designed, but it doesn't have to be boundary-breaking or have an epic scope) then maybe people will give them a break.

Will Infinitron turn out to be right? Stay tuned.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom