Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear Pre-Release Thread

Azeot

Arbiter
So you are saying people will be playing 2nd edition in BG1 then 5e in BG:Tape then 2e again in BG2 ?
This interquel is clearly NOT 5th edition. They say they are considering the fifth for a future BG3 or another game.
If they are not totally insane they will make the interquel 2nd edition (and not, say, 3.5) like the others, in order to at least try to give a sense of continuity.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes, even I would say to keep the same system for a BG 1.5.
No matter how much I despise the ruleset, a wild switch within a trilogy would be even worse.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not sure why everybody is finding it so hard to think of what the plot of this interquel would be.

The Bhaalspawn left Baldur's Gate and travelled to the south. Why? Why did he have to leave? There's plenty of room for an interesting story there.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If they also change BG2:EE a bit to also take that story into account somehow, yes.

Otherwise, it must be really unimportant, which would totally go against the cheesy epicness of BG.

Perkel

Arcane
This interquel is clearly NOT 5th edition. They say they are considering the fifth for a future BG3 or another game.
If they are not totally insane they will make the interquel 2nd edition (and not, say, 3.5) like the others, in order to at least try to give a sense of continuity.

So you are saying Wizard of the Coast will allow them to create new game with 2e ?

Yeah i thought so. It would be like creating new game in Planescape setting

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I would like to see Baldur's Gate 3, but a new infinity engine game is a good thing.

All i know is that, that a infinity engine game will be more RPG than anything what we got in last 10 years (not counting original sin)

Unwanted

Mr Fantastic

Andhaira
Andhaira
10 years ago the 'Dex would have been squirted cum all of the place with news like this, today the landscape is immersed in indifference.

The release of Dragon Age Origins changed the Codex. It changed everything.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The new art they did for BG1/2 EE's is quite bad, unless they get new talent i bet we will mostly see reused assets for the original, intermixed with mediocre designs.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So you are saying Wizard of the Coast will allow them to create new game with 2e ?

Yeah i thought so. It would be like creating new game in Planescape setting

Seriously?!

They're not making a new game. They are adding to the existing game. Like an expansion pack.

Viata

Arcane
I hope it's all a dream in the end of interquel, otherwise, it's just something that can be ignored as there are no mention of this in BG2. Unless they re-re-release BG2.

aVENGER

Arcane
Developer
One more thing, Bioware kept notes on what happened after BG1 and why the characters ended up where they appear at the start of BG2.

Just saying, we're not exactly guessing here.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
One more thing, Bioware kept notes on what happened after BG1 and why the characters ended up where they appear at the start of BG2.

Considering the poor job you (the developer) did with the extra content writing and characters, i very much doubt those notes will salvage the narrative.

Azeot

Arbiter
The fact that you've got the original notes from Bioware is (sort of) great, but I'm not sure about the decision of making an interquel. It's A lot of complications and restrictions that you could have avoided making a "simple" spin off, placed sometimes during the main game's events. More creative freedom and less chance of pissing off people.
Still, I really hope it comes out as a true IE game and not a mod, good luck.

Athelas

Arcane
Not sure why everybody is finding it so hard to think of what the plot of this interquel would be.

The Bhaalspawn left Baldur's Gate and travelled to the south. Why? Why did he have to leave? There's plenty of room for an interesting story there.
Or maybe it's simply because the south is where the sequel takes place in? :M

Athelas

Arcane
What was the motivation for going to the Nashkel mines? The call of adventure is as good a motivation as any.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
They will have a lot of game limitations tho, max import level into Bg2, Minsc, Jaheira, Imoen, etc. Considering they said you could play with same character throughout the 3 games.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What was the motivation for going to the Nashkel mines? The call of adventure is as good a motivation as any.

Well, first time players at the beginning of the game are likely going to join up with Khalid & Jaheira, who are Gorion's friends, and that's where they're headed.

imweasel

Adventure Y will use the same ruleset as BG:EE and BGII:EE i.e. you can play all three parts with the same character.

This sounds great. I've been wating for more Baldur's Gate goodness since I finished Throne of Bhaal. Just don't pull a Josh Sawyer on us and I'll buy it. :)

BTW, try to get as much of the original team together as possible (if possible). That would be a great way to market the game.

Unwanted

Mr Fantastic

Andhaira
Andhaira

Won't you be limited by the starting level of Shadows of Amn though? BG EE includes TotSC so characters should be level 6-7 when they end that. And you start BG II at level 7 by default. Sure you could start higher, say up till level 10 but more than that and there will be serious balance issues.

Why don't you make a side story with some other characters? Like Gorion before he was killed, or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom