Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear Pre-Release Thread

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Transfiguring Roar, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    don't forget tablets... supposed to shit with gold coins..

^ Top  
  2. Keldryn Arcane

Keldryn
    I've been playing BG:EE on my iPad Mini during my daily train ride to and from work, and it is awesome; it was a hassle, but I got BG1NPC and SCS installed to it as well.

You guys complain way too much.

I was going to move on to BG2 when I finish, but maybe I'll wait for this "interquel" and play that first... Except the tablet versions are always a few months behind the PC versions, aren't they?

^ Top  
  3. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I recently found that Beamdog launched a new Beamblog, where they posted a bunch of stuff that I missed. A lot of it is LARPy stuff about a PnP campaign that they're running, but here's something that might be interesting: http://blog.beamdog.com/2015/06/spotlight-on-item-design.html

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Azeot Arbiter

Azeot
    next up Spotlight On: Creating hype - How NOT to
    see last blog post

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  5. Immortal Arcane

Immortal
    How a subpar company who is refactoring old IE code seems to understand Itemization better then Obsidian. News at 11.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  6. waywardOne Arcane

waywardOne
    Immunity to silence for any spellcaster and protection from critical hits for a bard are not "moderate enchantments", especially getting that going into bg2.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. MilesBeyond Cipher

MilesBeyond

I'm assuming that it can only be worn by Bards. Probably a bit overkill, but considering how shit Bards are in BG (aside from the Blade) it's not that big a deal. They could use some loving.

^ Top  
  8. waywardOne Arcane

waywardOne
    I have issues with "RPGs" that insist on sperging to make all races/classes equal in power.

^ Top  
  9. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    A BG2 bard immune to crits is not even remotely equal in power to.. well, anything.

Immunity to silence is more of a deal.
    Then again, I can't remember having been silenced that often in BG2 to begin with. I used that spell often, but did enemies?

^ Top  
  10. waywardOne Arcane

waywardOne
    Crits on a d6 hp/level char are a serious concern. Getting rid of that lets you not sweat physical damage protection as much. Removing inherent vulnerabilities is, in fact, a lazy way to equalize power. It can't be any clearer. Make a counter-point besides gainsaying, or let's move on.

^ Top  
  11. ArchAngel Arcane Sad Loser

ArchAngel
    Inherent penalty that was only added in IE games anyway because in PnP helmets didn't give you immunity to criticals.

^ Top  
  12. Blackguard Learned

Blackguard
    Silence was never really a problem in BG2 for me either, deafness even less. Also at least based on that blog post the hat doesn't actually seem to even give crit immunity. 2 rounds of free bard song is also pretty much useless unless you are planning on constantly micromanaging your bard.

^ Top  
  13. Somberlain Arcane Zionist Agent

Somberlain
    Being immune to silence is not a big deal in BG2, because

1) Enemies try to silence you very rarely
    2) 2nd level spell Vocalize exists and low level spell slots aren't that important anymore, especially when you have so many of them

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. aVENGER Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Developer

aVENGER
    In Adventure Y, certain headgear items like ioun stones, hoods, cowls, circlets and hats don't grant immunity to critical hits. That's a property reserved to proper helmets now.

We unhardcoded the critical hit protection and it can now be set on a per item basis. For example, if someone wants a game where a full plate protects from critical hits and a helmet doesn't, they can make that now.

^ Top  
  15. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Well, that blog post didn't tell me anything. I guess we'll see when there's information.

The helmet differentiationsounds cool.

^ Top  
  16. Azeot Arbiter

Azeot
    Mods like rogue rebalance already had helmets (or, in rr's case cowls) which didn't grant critical hit protection, so nothing new on the western front.
    Still, it's cool you are going to add it in the game proper.

^ Top  
  17. roshan Arcane

roshan
    As far as I know, the cowls and ioun stones in mods and stuff did in fact protect against critical hits.

^ Top  
  18. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Thit shit... second "mages are shit at low level !"
    Lack of knowledge.

First of all bards are one of the most overpowered classes in BG. Why ? Because they don't completely sucks in combat, can wear interesting things, they have their songs, can memorize low grade spells and THEY CAN USE FUCKING WANDS AND SCROLLS.
    Same goes for mages.

Low level bard or mage is better than low level fighter, thief or any other class precisely because they can use gear that will kill most of them like nothing.

Especially in BG2 where you find shitton of powerful scrolls everywhere.

Only more overpowered class is imo fighter/mage. Because precisely is better in malee and at the same time he can use wands and scrolls.

^ Top  
  19. Shaewaroz Arcane Patron

Shaewaroz
    In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
    Scrolls and wands are meant to be hoarded and never used.

• Brofist Brofist x 27
    ^ Top  
  20. Cyberarmy Love fool Patron

Cyberarmy
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Don't forget teh potions!!!!! muh preciousssessss

^ Top  
  21. roshan Arcane

roshan
    Aren't 2nd ed bards actually really good because their caster levels are always higher than mages? And bards can reach level 40... 40d6 skull traps? Fuck yes!!!

BTW, do BG2 spells keep improving, or do all spells cap out at a specific level? What I mean is that Fireball obviously caps out at 10d6, but do Skull Traps keep getting better until level 40 as the description suggests? Or is there a hidden cap to the spell?

^ Top  
  22. Rivmusique Arcane Patron

Rivmusique
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    They do, but SCS caps it. And if it ain't your first time, you best be playing with SCS.

Edit: ah, this is a beamdog thread. No idea if EE fixed it.

^ Top  
  23. MilesBeyond Cipher

MilesBeyond
    Low level mages are crazy powerful and I don't know how anyone could argue differently. Sleep is ridiculously overpowered at lower levels.

I hear what you're saying, but Bards are really only good if you like to cheese the game through wand spam (and wand cloning if you really want to break things). Aside from that, though, they really don't have too much going for them. Horrendous THAC0 and APR, and very slow spell progression. High caster level is nice for level 3 damage spells (or just spamming Spell Trap if you haven't modded in a fix for that spell), but in my experience it's pretty rare that they'll be more than a level or two ahead of the wizard anyway, so it's not like it's a huge boon.

Also I hope that by Fighter/Mage you meant Fighter->Mage. Multiclassing will never, ever be overpowered in BG unless you solo and thereby get enough XP to cheese HLAs. In a full six-person party, though, you're pretty much relegating yourself to a support position.

And really, that's the crux of it. If you want someone to be able to use wands or scrolls, dualclassing will always, always be a better option than Bard. Period. Fighter->Mage or Thief->Mage will be way more powerful than a Bard will. Even something like taking a level of Mage and then dualling over to Fighter would give you a melee powerhouse that can spam wands and scrolls like crazy.

So that's the thing. Bards aren't really that great unless you want to cheese, and if you do want to cheese then you can do much better than Bards.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. ArchAngel Arcane Sad Loser

ArchAngel
    So trueeeeee

^ Top  
  25. Somberlain Arcane Zionist Agent

Somberlain
    Yes, bards are especially useful buffers due to their high caster level, though most damage spells do have caps but buffs don't. Skull Trap's ridiculous damage is probably an oversight, but as Rivmusique said, SCS has an optional component that caps it at 12d6.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.