Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Card-Based Banners of Ruin - turn-based furry card battler

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Lost me at furry.
7860.jpg

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Furry - hype.
Card - lost all interest.
There's that, too, yes.

I have nothing against card mechanics per se, but there is definitely too much of it right now. A bit like the zombie fatigue some time ago.
Don't hate it enough (yet) to see it as a turn-off, but it's certainly not a turn-on, either.

I would say...
I can deal with it.

Harthwain

Magister
Lost me at furry.
Anthropomorphic =/= furry though. Furry designates a very specific subculture, while anthropomorphism is a much broader term than that and predates the concept of furry. Disney had Robin Hood series in 1973 where anthropomorphic animals were used as characters. In fact, Robin Hood was my first thought when I saw the art direction of Banners of Ruin (although the latter goes in more grimdark areas by comparison, but I like it even more for doing it).

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Lost me at furry.
Anthropomorphic =/= furry though. Furry designates a very specific subculture, while anthropomorphism is a much broader term than that and predates the concept of furry. Disney had Robin Hood series in 1973 where anthropomorphic animals were used as characters. In fact, Robin Hood was my first thought when I saw the art direction of Banners of Ruin (although the latter goes in more grimdark areas by comparison, but I like it even more for doing it).
Lost me at furry.

DraQ

Arcane
Lost me at furry.
So basically furry minus the part where you bring Flammenwerfer?
I can work with that.

Not with card game, tho.

Harthwain

Magister
My little review of the game, if anyone is interested:

It's an interesting mix of a card game and a roguelike.

Roguelike elements:

- Each playing session consists of a single, long run. A single run is broken into three stages. Each stage consists of walking through a set of three lanes (called "streets" in game). I like it as it offers the player a choice.

- Encounter cards appear at random during the run. This helps making each run into a unique sequence, even if the events themselves (their effects) are always the same. However, rewards (what cards you will be offered, what equipment, etc.) do differ.

- Permadeath.

- Your choices are permanent. No reloading earlier saves. That said - the game saves at any point, so you can break away from it whenever you desire.

Other observations:

- Usually you get a choice between three random cards. Some unique events allow you to transform cards or duplicate them. It makes for interesting mechanic when building your deck.

- So far poison, blood and charge builds are all viable playstyles, which is good. It adds variety and encourages to play the game multiple times.

- Knowing how to build the deck takes time getting to know the game, but it feels great when everything clicks together. I'd compare it to Hearthstone; the main difference is that in Banners of Ruin you start with the potential to create "broken" (working) decks from the get-go.

- Visually the game is an interesting mix of anthropomorphism and low medieval setting. Despite featuring cartoon-like animals the art style manages to retain a fairly serious atmosphere. I kind of like it.

Overall I find this game to be very addictive and fun. It has my seal of approval.

Salvo

Arcane
Good atmosphere and great art for this genre but man this game really is too easy.

Salvo

Arcane
Won again with a Beaver strategy, using their special ability to block status effects while standing in the rear and focusing on high defense-high damage cards like the Challenge ---> Colossal Smash combo.

The first makes one of your characters mirror the defense of an opponent, the second removes all of your defense and turns it into a single, extremely high damaging hit. It was easy and consistent, and even without Challenge the Beavers are extremely good at racking up big defense numbers quickly.

Did I mention the art is great?

Harthwain

Magister
The first makes one of your characters mirror the defense of an opponent, the second removes all of your defense and turns it into a single, extremely high damaging hit. It was easy and consistent, and even without Challenge the Beavers are extremely good at racking up big defense numbers quickly.
It would be problematic if you were to run into the Warden though. Similarly you have to be careful around Spear Wolves, because using too many multiple attacks with Charge is going to end badly for you due to Carapace. But as long as you know what you're doing you should be able to get quite far.

I think I am going to try a run with Ruin cards. I am completely not used to them, so it should prove an interesting challenge. Also, it's nice that you level up characters with each run and there are more bosses (or so I heard), because it adds even more replayability value to the game besides beating it once.

Did I mention the art is great?
It's pretty impressive how they are using extra effects to make 2D art appear like it is in 3D. And the art is amazing across the board - I don't think there is anything in the game I don't like from purely visual standpoint.

vazha

Arcane
got this yesterday and have been playing non-stop since. Redwall meets Darkest Dungeon meets MGT. Very enjoyable, but alas way too short, not unlike Armello. Sublime art & music though. I'd throw my monies at these dudes if they were to develop this further.

Harthwain

Magister
The game continues to impress me.

I beat the Warden on my first playthrough. Then I decided to go for another run, just to level up my characters (and try new things). Not only I encountered a new boss and some new scenarios - this new boss managed to kill me. So I made another crew and this time breezed through everything (literally. Nobody could stop me) and ended up fighting what I think is THE boss of the game.

Halfway through the fight I started thinking: "Holy crap, I might not win this".

I got a giant Bloodthirsty Beaver fed upon the blood of the fallen foes through most of the run (or halfway through. I think it was his third perk), a Bastion Weasel with Unholy armor robbed from the corpse of Cultist Priests and a giant Sickle (meaning he was capable of building up armor and self-healing by getting afflicted with bleed) and a secondary Beaver who was mainly serving Stamina storage, the Double Team activator and to give me more cards with Reserves.

It was that secondary Beaver who got killed, because enemies stacked like 30 points of Hamstring onto him, then pulled him (which also screwed my Bastion Weasel Cultist) and finished off with the massive blow. I took an Oath "Blood Pact" so my run was over, but I wonder if I could've won regardless. My giant Khornite Beaver still had like 168 health points left and the Bastion Weasel Culstist still got all of his 80 hit points (although had no armor to speak of) and I managed to kill three opponent and almost killed the fourth one.

On my next run I am not going to take "Blood Pact". It should give me more time to kill enemies, even if some characters are going to die in the process. I also need to think about how to make the future deck even more broken than the previous one.

vazha

Arcane
Hah are you the same guy wailing over that run on steam as well? I feel your pain bruvva, exact same thingie happened to me, damn bloodpact.
Anyhow, its a damn fine game, I hope they don't stop there and add more content, Battle Brothers style. And hope they'll inquire about the availability of Redwall IP, they seem tailor made for it.

Harthwain

Magister
Hah are you the same guy wailing over that run on steam as well?
Nah, I am not wailing. I am pleasantly surprised. I didn't expect the game to be challenging after beating the Early Access so many times and this kind of adversity keeps me going.

vazha

Arcane
Just beat the prince with a 303 hp bloodwrath hare, and executed him. Game said new options would be available but so far not seen anything different

Harthwain

Magister
I beat the Prince as well. Gave him to the people. I had 6 characters. I only lost the Mouse in the process, but it was quite tight. I could have easily lost 3 characters instead, but my trick of swapping the backline with the frontline just before the fight paid off and at the crucial moment the backline characters got swapped to the rear by the hammer guy and at that point all major damage dealers were gone. The card that gives you 2 Stamina per each status effect on opponent is amazing in this fight, because you can get plenty of it when there are a lot of status effects, meaning you don't have to worry too much about utilizing all the available cards.

vazha

Arcane
There are a lot of op synergies in this game - For example, running a single stoic passive weasel right now - the chap literally is self healing machine, each time he pops a blinking concealed blade, there's 11 vitality for you

Harthwain

Magister
Just beat the prince with a 303 hp bloodwrath hare, and executed him. Game said new options would be available but so far not seen anything different
I think I know what changes: each option grants you different bonus when you start a new run. When I executed the Prince I got the option to permanently Ruin 5 skill cards, which I didn't have before. I did let the crowd hang him (or whatever it is they do) with the Justice option, but I don't recall what that does at the moment. I get to pre-pick my first talent?

This is the problem with the game: choices are kind of static, but you don't know what they do until you pick them so it is a lot like trail and error. However, I am of the opinion that the game should TELL YOU what choices do after you make them the first time.

That's why I subscribed to Encyclopedia of Events: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2188122928

It is still a work in progress, so it may not be entirely complete, but it is still a very good source of information on events.

J1M

Arcane
Lost me at furry.
Yeah, but furries ruined that entire children's art style by association.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom