Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Banquet for Fools - party-based RTwP in Serpent of the Staglands setting - coming to Early Access on September 30th

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I wonder if some of the weirdness involved in changing characters during combat would be reduced if changing characters were to automatically cue the new character's "action bubble". Though obviously the game would be better turn-based, especially since there seems to be friendly fire and positioning your characters looks like a real headache with this system. But H&J gonna do their own crazy thing as usual.

Or even just make it normal real time with pause I guess, and use the action bubbles to indicate range (pause, choose actions for party members, unpause until their action cooldown ends and/or to move them, pause again to issue commands, etc.). Inferior to true turn based, but would make the combat in this game less annoying I bet.

also, the sex slider at character creation lol. I foresee many triggered codexers

It's not *too far* off though, I think it just needs a bit of a tweak to feel fun.

I'm not bothered by the sex slider, it is definitely politically correct but it's somewhat of a middle ground I would say between having more than two set options, and only having two.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If I were Joe and Hannah, the thought of touching Mechajammer again would give me panic attacks.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
If I were Joe and Hannah, the thought of touching Mechajammer again would give me panic attacks.
Last time Joe was here, he mentioned doing something with Mechajammer again, separate from the publisher.

In the end we loved the ideas going into it and how they managed to capture everything we needed for the adventure we wanted to provide, but without the time for ruleset balance, the story with the crew, and a clean launch it was DOA. The publisher has the rights for all releases and post-releases, so we can't update the game without their approval. We deeply regret not having time to implement a back-door so we could continue to update it unofficially without getting into some hazy legal territory.

Our hope at this point is to release a shareware Copper Dreams game realizing the unused concepts during the development of this game we think people also resonated with, in a tighter package with our new 3d things we have going on now. That wouldn't be until next year.

This year we're working on a SitS follow up exploring that world more, we'll have something to share soon. If you've written us off, all good, sometimes these things don't work out.

Hope they make it. I think it's a good sign that codex is still supportive. There's something to be said for people whose hearts are in the right place, even if they stumble.

Martyr

Arcane
what the actual fuck. SitS is one of my top 5 games of the past decade. I don't do this crap anymore and I know this'll be buggy as hell and I'm going to suffer, but this will be a day 1 purchase.

buffalo bill

Arcane
also, the sex slider at character creation lol. I foresee many triggered codexers
Why? The slider seems to go between male and female and the models are so alien that anything in-between the extremes isn't too noticeable.
I guarantee that certain Codexers will see a sex slider rather than a binary sex selection as catering to a particular political agenda.

perhaps I should say that I absolutely don't give a fuck either way, personally

scytheavatar

Scholar
As a side note, how depressing must it be for the Spiders dev that even a tiny studio can make better looking RTWP combat than them?

Martyr

Arcane
I get that it is a step up in perceived quality but I liked the visuals of SitS much more than this.
Banquet's characters look like claymation and their animations (for example the finishing move and the jumping onto the boat) make this game feel whimsical.
SitS's visuals on the other hand reminded me of my beloved Shadowlands and the setting/atmosphere was dark and brooding. plus 2D is always superior to both 2.5D and 3D.
still a :d1p:though.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
It has a distinct visual style, whether one likes it or not. One certainly can't accuse it of having no character.

And songs that can be configured to trigger automatically during specific battle moments is a neat idea, adds some nice combat momentum.

I'm interested in this as long as the combat is faster than Staglands, but the floating damage numbers should definitely be removed or at least a toggle option should be added.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
So on the steam forums of the game, the developers are active. There's been a few people that have played the demo and posted feedback and I think all of us had similar issues with the combat in it's current state. The Hannah&Joe account has replied to say they will be changing it. Currently waiting on a bit of clarification but I think it's going to go a bit more towards the realtime/action combat style and away from the pause/turn style.

Judging by their comments you're supposed to dodge and block attacks while your action bar is recovering.

Personally I'm fine with that as outside of combat, the game feels more oldschool ARPG-like with the graphics, the camera centered on the single character with no panning and the hold left-mouse to move around.

Sensuki

Arcane
I'll wait until I get a response about it but I think the way it currently works where you have to manually invoke an action selection state that pauses combat, I think it's going to be changed to regular RTwP, but there won't be 'auto-attack' on the character that you control.

GentlemanCthulhu

Liturgist
Sure I'll play this, but they have a lot to prove after two fairly trash games, even if Serpent had some cool ideas and visuals.

Gandalf

Arbiter
Well, I don't have super high hopes. I wish it to be a masterpiece. Their games look interesting, have some originality in them, heck, even the soul is there (
“It was Aliens”
soul of course ), but they're not super polished gameplay-wise. They feel more like a flawed gems to me or diamonds in the making. I'm not super familiar with sex sliders, but maybe you're right that it is some kind of bad omen...

They stopped posting here cause you commit 1000 microagressions with every breath you take according to Hanna
[citation needed]

buffalo bill

Arcane
They keep coming up with odd combat systems when they should really just do turn based!
They should hire someone (or get a charitable soul) to do game system design for them. I remember when Mechajammer/Copper Dreams was being developed and they made a decision that as weapon skill advanced, number of damage dice would be removed and replaced with sides on the damage dice (I don't know if this "feature" survived to the final game, but it doesn't matter). That was the moment I realized they are fundamentally not competent game designers. It kind of shows lack of understanding of some basic math. H&J should do art (though I'm having doubts about that too, given how lame the visuals for this look and Mechajammer ended up looking) and setting design and perhaps some of the programming, and someone else should make the core gameplay. But alas I suspect they think that they are capable of gameplay design.

(also ofc they should have a project manager for many obvious reasons)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom